What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Elbow Room; Round Infinity (Rare Dankness; Sin City; CBD strains; CMH lights)

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Howdy ICMAG peeps!
I'm relocated and startig to settle down in my new digs....
setup a 6 lite room with 4 1kw HPS hung horizontally, 2 per 4 x 8 table and on the far side of the room one vertical raw bulb 860 watt Ceramic Metal Halide (powered by a magnetic 1k w MH ballast) and a 315 watt Agro Elite Ceramic Metal Halide powered by a ballast made by a company in Boulder, CO. Both CMH bulbs are made by philips.

On the far right of the room in a 4x8 flood tray I've setup plants in rockwool cubes on top of slabs of rockwool being fed by drip lines, drip to waste; plan on feeding one time per day with botanicare Pure Blend Pro until it runs out, then probably switch to dnya gro nutes:

picture.php

^
most of the plants in rockwool are buddah's sister, altho there are some Boss's sister in there and a few flo og's as well

The rest of the room is all in organic soil, the majority of is recycled and re-amended from my last run in the "fresh start" room.

I'll be growing some new and new-ish strains from Rare Dankness (Corn Bread, Jenny's Kush, Harlox, and 2 phenos of Flo OG), Sin City Seeds (Las Vegas Bubba Kush, Boss' Sister [Buddah's sister x El Jeffe]) as well as a slew of other strains; any one who's seen my past grows will know that I cannot limit myself to single strains and I love diversity.... love the different flavors.

picture.php

^
other strains in the mix are Harlequin (high CBD strain, 1:1 ratio, about 9% each), calio (nice clone only i got, tons of resin last round so it made the cut), my keeper pheno called "Caregiver" of Flo x Grimm Reaper, perhaps a flo in the mix... im sure there are a few im leaving out... like the Lemon Skunk x Lemon Larry OG Skunk that I've labeled "3L".

All the plants in round black pots are sexed and ready to go, the ones in bigger white square pots are from seed and unsexed.

picture.php

^
you can see the vert 860 w CMH bare bulb in the back producing a very different quality of light compared to the 1kw HPS

picture.php

I've mulched with alfalfa hay this round on all the organic plants that have been sexed, and plan on mulching the rest when sexed.

Also, i feel it should be said that all the plants shown have recently been transplanted and heavily loved on and treated for pests... prior to that they were in "stasis" underneath t5's while i got my personal life in order for a few weeks.

picture.php

I plan on veggin only a short time longer, just enough to get a good round of clones off these ladies before flipping them into flowering....

Last edited:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
forgot to mention that I have a lil outdoor going and will post updates from it here as well... most exciting is the Gorilla Glue #4 that is outside....

picture.php

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
Nice to see you back at it. Seen some FIRE come from Jenny's kush and cornbread so far. Good luck.

DeoXy

Looking really good avinash! like the strain selection this round.. I always enjoy watching your grows.. subbed :good:

Headys

Subbed

Subbed

Looking good! Digging the slab setup. If you've got a minute, I'd love to see a few pics of your water system.

:lurk:

- HEADYs
HEADYs-Shield-Logo.png

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Greetings. Your new location looks fine. I haven't seen you on the web much lately so that explains it. Who makes your soilless mix now?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greetings. Your new location looks fine. I haven't seen you on the web much lately so that explains it. Who makes your soilless mix now?

i'm not really using a soil-less mix, not sure why u ask but;
im running organic soil that i mixed myself, most of it is recycled and re-amended from last round and heavily aerated with rice hulls, perlite, AND hydroton. the rockwool slabs are made by grodan

today i build the rest of the driplines for the soil side...
organic soil side of the room will be be on drip lines as well to keep soil at a nice moist place; but I also plan on hand watering in teas as the grow goes along. The drip line is kind of a fail-safe for the soil to remain moist no matter how busy my life gets this summer and in the future.

Looking good! Digging the slab setup. If you've got a minute, I'd love to see a few pics of your water system.
I'll get u a pic asap, but to describe it;
submersible pump to 1/2 inch vinyl line to a T that creates a loop around the plants, from that loop i use 1/4 inch lines with no emitters, just the hose tied to a stake or the base of the plant; watering will be one minute once a day for the rockwool and probably a lil bit longer like 2 or 3 minutes per day (or maybe every other day) on the organic soil.
all the shit for the drip lines i got for cheap (imo) from big box hardware stores; im guessing it would-a cost more to supply from local hydro stores.

also, im starting to pop some seeds:
picture.php

next up is Sour Bubble and Blue Moon Rocks from BOG and "golden triangle" from bodhi (triangle kush x appalachia) and perhaps some CBD crew (CBD yummy or CBD critical mass) gear I picked up a lil while back.

Thanks everyone for tuning in...
:peacock:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im using alfalfa hay as a mulch, so far so good.... not sure how long it will take to break down but i have noticed it seems to be bleaching from light green to just straw yellow inside under the powerful lights

took clones today, an entire tray of the buddahs sister which has proven to be a very rewarding and interesting strain to grow AND smoke.... its stretchy and lanky in growth, wide node spacing, stretches alot the first couple weeks of flowering; but REALLY packs on the density and weight in flowering and is finished by no longer than 10 weeks (ime so far). ALSO surprisingly the buzz is remarkably indica style, heavy and dopey, not quite couch lock but def a heavy body buzz to it. smells lemony around week 5 or 6 of flowering and finishes more sweet citrus candy smelling, hints of durban poison smell in there and perhaps a lil trainwreck-y smell in with that lemon candy.
so ya, the buddah's sister is a keeper for know and that has led me toward a particular interest in the strain "boss's sister" made by sin city seeds; it's the buddah's sister (mom) crossed by el jeffe (father) which is a rare dankness strain; not 100% sure of the background of the el jeffe, i thought it was a williams wonder cross but can't find anything to back that up now.....
also sin city claims the boss' sister to be a very high yielder... in veg it is similarly stretchy and lanky altho both female phenos i have have broader slightly more indica style leaf structure than the buddah's sister which has VERY slender sativa looking leaves.

also cloned from 2 female phenos of Las Vegas Bubba Kush, also from Sin City Seeds... truly i don't know what to expect from this, i've always been a fan of the knockout stone of Bubba Kush, and in the past i've had more grapey fruity phenos of BK that are not simply the earthy coffee musk of your average bubba kush and have always hoped to recapture something like that.

got the first round of clones of my small R4 (wu #5 pheno) mother:
picture.php

this strain produces HIGH amounts of CBD and VERY LOW nearly insignificant amounts of THC, which may seem crazy to most people, but... it can be processed to produce high CBD concentrates that are very useful and the strain could potentially could be grown legally as "hemp" but processed into medicinal concentrates.

aside from that somewhat undesirable trait (no matter how useful) the r4 strain is also slow to veg and does not branch out latterally very well at all; altho all node spacing is VERY tight there are not many lateral branches at all for creating clones or other tops on the plant.
I was warned of this "shitty growth" from the strain when it was given to me; also was warned about the leaf mottling or veriegation, another very interesting train of this strain

detail of R4 leaf veriegation/ mottling:
picture.php

picture.php

All in all the R4 (wu #5 pheno) is a strain that I'm keeping around simply to spread it around to other people who want it in the community here in CO, just as I've done with the harlequin strain, which imo is a MUCH more well rounded and useful strain. I warn people about the R4 just like i was warned.
the "ACDC" strain is similarly 30+:1 ratio of CBD:THC with THC levels low enough to possibly qualify it as "hemp" legally however it has much nicer growth pattern and structure than the R4 (so I'm told, haven't gotten my hands on the ACDC yet).

Took clones off the Harlox female and am having the 2 MALE phenos of Harlox tested to find out which has higher CBD and is therefore better for breeding CBD rich strains.
Took a TON of Cornbread clones; another bubba kush strain (from rare dankness) im optimistically searching for that wonderful sweet bubba flavor and heavy stone.
Got some clones off the female Jenny's Kush which is looking great, sativa leaning leaf structure but with close node spacing.

Probably will take an entire tray of the Calio and another tray of the 2 keeper Flo OG phenos. Both are very vigorous strains that take root from cloning very well. Many plants from the two strains have survived the move in and out of "stasis" and fighting off the pests they have been exposed to, and are starting to look nice after being transplanted and are ready to clone from now.

Oh yhea, and seeds are up...

Last edited:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
last batch of seeds was 100% germination of:
alphakronic steven hawkings kush (harle-tsu x sin city kush)
alphakronic dog father
alphakronic "queso kush" spring mix
"Khalisi" - Afghan Jihad x Purps IBL

I'm looking forward to the Khalisi alot... and all the alphakronic gear is not mine, it's for a friend who needed some help popping them so i did the task. lots of high CBD seeds in the mix....

next tray of popping seeds:
BOG Sour Bubble
BOG Blue Moon Rocks
CBD crew CBD yummy
"old school" bubble gum
Rare Dankness Grape OX

Took that tray of clones from calio and Flo OG
let the clone army march onward; with seedlings in tow.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive got some khalisi on the way cant wait , how many times have you ran the r4?

i have run the R4 exactly zero times.
im more interested in distributing it to people who want and need it than running this particular strain... I mean, eventually it will be flowered out in a garden of mine; however, it veg's slow and that's held me back so far. I've heard it's ow yielding and looks kinda "ruderalis-y" to me....

yhea khalisi seeds are above ground now at first node still... so cute when they are young.....

the room is looking good, i setup a drip line over all the organic soil plants that will prolly just give plain h2o daily in addition to the hand watered teas and mixes i plan on feeding.

sexed most of the plants from seed....

:tiphat:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dripline pics

dripline pics

dripline pics:
picture.php

^rockwool drip line

picture.php

^rockwool dripline

picture.php

^^ vertical soil dripline, under the 860w CMH

picture.php

^ organic plants under the horizontal lites

SO i finished and fine tuned the drips, happy with how they feed now, using one pump for all the rockwool and 2 pumps each with its own circuit (one feeding vert area, the other feeding teh horizontal lit area; but on the same timer and pumps are identical to give equal feeds (more or less).

found out that ALL the lemon skunk x lemon larry og skunk turned out to be male, so i guess i wont be smoking any skunky lemony ogk type weed from this round.... :(

picture.php

^ soil side canopy shot (cornbread pheno #2 in foreground)

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

^ rockwool side canopy

I've decided to nix flowering under the 315 w CMH this round simply because i need the light in VEG and primarily because the plants that i had planed to put under it did not bounce back after transplant the way i hoped they would....
AND a few more males in the plants from seeds have opened up more room in the flowering room and i re-distributed the plants from under the 315 w around the room and plan on moving the 315w CMH into veg asap in order to get a really vigorous round of veg for NEXT round.