What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cheap effective way to kill slime and bacteria in res / DIY DC zapper

luv2par

I had done this experiment with my RDWC and it works well. I got this idea from Dr. Beck's zapper. Done some reading articles about how much DC apply to the plants in res. I'm using an old 2V 100mA transformer, twice a day each time 1-3 minutes. After slime was gone then every 1 min / 3 days. Remember do not using high voltage or amperage transformer it will shock the heck out of your roots. Good luck with the experiment. :biggrin:

N

noyd666

picture.php
stay safe :biggrin:

Dr.Tone

youve actually made a ozone generator. electrons travel from the + probe to the - Probe slicing the H20 into 1 part hydrogen 2 parts oxygen.

TDJester

youve actually made a ozone generator. electrons travel from the + probe to the - Probe slicing the H20 into 1 part hydrogen 2 parts oxygen.

That would not be ozone. Ozone is 3 parts o2. Oxygen is two.

In reality it sounds like you've just made a crude oxygen generator, which in my old job we called them 'bombs'.

Because Hydrogen + Spark = Oxygen + Spark

Either way you're fuuuucked.

Meison

Seriously your slime went away doing this?
Did you do anything else while you applied this technique? just so we are clear there was nothing else acting behind the zapper

I have tried tea, but the lack of bacto around here is killing me. Basically all I have around is tricho and azos..

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would suggest that what is happening is the evolution of a small quantity of chlorine from the electrolysis of the nutrient salt solution.

Might be easier to add a small amount of chlorine based bleach or swimming pool granules to the reservoir.

relic1981

Veteran
Heh, electricity + water are usually bad. You should post some pics. Was there another thread you were working from?

thats my first thought. safety. can you be more specific on how this works? interesting for sure but im not about to try it without doing a heck of a lot more research. i can kinda gasp that the electricity kills the algea or "slime" but how does it get rid of it? i mean does it break it down so much that you cant see it anymore or do you have to change the solution after doing this to evacuate the slime? interesting for sure

B

BB420

electricity + water are usually bad. +++ that's why my grandma never had a electric washer :laughing:

luv2par

I suggest anyone do more google about Electric Kills Bacteria. Recently I found out the res will hold the charge acts a battery. I just charge it once or twice a week 1-2 minute each time(depends on res size) till the desired current achieved. Now I'm also testing out Grounding Plant technique by disconnect the + charge wire out, leave the - charge wire in the res acts Grounding Plant to stimulate growth.
Happy testing!!! ;)

Gardening Angel

Veteran
Hey everyone

Would this be some sort of tesla ponics ?

I remember seeing something similar at a cup with th seeds and the electric lemon g

Thanks
GA

oc_grower

This is a very low voltage "brown's gas generator" it breaks down h2o and releases the hydrogen into the res. It would be easier to get an air pump with a med/large air stone and keep that water moving. I have had no issues with root rot since I changed over. It will fix any rotting in the roots within 14 days, after that switch the water.

Hey guys, little update. luv2par my good friend died a tragic death when his timer was out of sync and accidentally nuked him while he had his hands in the rez. Unfortunately nobody found him for two weeks and he partially decomposed in his rez but on the bright side it was me who found him and the plants finished great I called it corpse kush it tasted like toasted fruits everbody loved it.

Latest posts

Latest posts