What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Barneys Blue Cheese Yellowing Leafs

deadein

Hi

I put 3 Barneys Blue Cheese in flower tent April 22, I started counting the countdown May 1. So Im about 5 weeks flower time.
I have them in small pots, soil, and use Dutch Nutrient Formula BLOOM Nutrient. (Half Strength for soil) I dont PH. I use water that I let sit out for over 24hrs. Its my first grow. Everything has been going good. The plants look great. I know leafs start to yellow in flower, but if Im 5 weeks in how long do you think I have to go. I was planning on a July 15 Harvest.

What should I do about the yellowing leafs (they yellow bottom to top) They are sucking nitrogen from those fans leafs. Should I give them a small dose of my DnF A/B grow? or just stick to the A/B Bloom?

I thank ICMAG, I learned everything here, and its going great.

Please respond with some ideas about yellowing, and time left. Today is June 7.

klemer13

My first growwas also barneys farm blue cheese.
The yellowing in the fan leaves happens very early with this strain, my one peno likes to finish around 8 weeks so it might be the same pheno that ive got.
I wouldnt worry about the yellowing, just pick them off one they feel dry and crinkly.
Enjoy the smoke

deadein

Thanks for the reply. The yellowing is happening naturally, so I will let it go. I dont have long to go. I will try and post a few pics of the setup and plants tomorrow.

deadein

Here are some pictures of the Barneys Blue Cheese and the setup.
I also have 2 northern lights I just put in a few weeks ago also in the tent. I am growing two strains, nirvana northern lights and barneys farm blue cheese.

This is my first grow, I'm using 150w and a 250w for flowering. The other cabinets I bought at a restore and wired with lights.

The fan is a S&P TD-SILENT 150s Series Inline Fans

This fan is so quiet you only hear a little noise of air at the end of the ducting. Super Quiet Fan.

These are the first plants that a finishing up, and the cloned are ready to go in the cabinet. I used a homemade cloner. I bought a small plastic container, put an air stone, a fish tank heater, and spray painted black. Once I spray painted the small plastic tube black the roots were growing so much faster. (18/6 lighting) .

I am using a small phat carbon scrubber in the tent, and I run ducting from the veg cab into the tent also to get rid of all the small through the carbon scrubber. There is almost no smell coming out of the ducting. So there is the setup!

Any comments, please ask away.

S

sensibuds

The further into flower, the leaves will eventually yellow. This is a good thing however. But too.early of change in them isn't good. Looking solid!

deadein

Here are some photos of the set up. Hopefully these photo remain. Learned everything from posts on ICMAG. I have found that if you are going to do a setup that make sure you research about proper fans like I did. You HAVE to have a carbon scrubber. This is a small setup, its amazing that you guys have smaller setups that are stealth. This setup is small and I intent to just grow a few plants for personal consumption. I am going to chop these in less than 2 weeks. For my first grow it has turned out amazing. Any questions please let me know. I have a lot of info from what I have done here if you need any small help. I did a check under normal light of a plant, and it looked so different and amazing. I cannot wait to get this dried and start smoking it. This Barneys Blue Cheese looks and smells amazing. I cant wait.

JointOperation

ill say 1 thing WAITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

as long as u can.. ull be so much happier.. honestly.. go grab yourself a 60-100X hand scope.. and look at trichomes.. pull when mostly cloudy.. and u will be soo much happier that u waited.. i promise u that.. if u think its done.. wait a week or 2.. and u will be much happier

deadein

I started feeding feeding just plain water now. They have slowed in growth now, leafs are yellowing, and Im taking them off as they become brittle. I switched the lights on April 22, so I started my countdown on May 1st. July 1st will be 60 days. I think I'm going to let these goes until at least July 10th. I need space for all the clones I have waiting. Im going to put in 12 small clones as soon as I get these 3 finishing plants out. They look amazing, for a first grow, this is amazing. I cannot wait to sample this Barneys Farm Blue Cheese, it looks so good, has an amazing smell in the tent, very fruity. I want to let them go until at least July 15th, I have stopped nutes at this point. Do you think its ok just to feed water for the next 3 weeks if I want to push it to the limit? Or should I give them a shot of bloom nutes again to get them to go longer?

Some interesting facts. I researched on ICMAG for months about the type of fan to get. I ended up getting the S&P TD-SILENT 150, I actually wish I would of got the next model up, but this does its job amazing. Very silent fan. You dont hear the motor at all. It is a little bulky, but this fan is quiet. Carbon Srubber is a small PHAT Filter, I will upgrade to a larger Carbon Scrubber in the future. I dont really have any smell coming from the vent ducting, nothing too worry about.

Lighting started with a 150w Sun System, then I thought, if Im going to do this, I might as well get a 250w to go with the 150w. Worked great, didnt raise temps too much. I sit around 82 right now. In the winter Its cold where the grow is so it stays under 80.

I tried cloning with a airstone, clear tub and aquim heater. It was taking over 3 weeks to get roots or more. I sprayed painted the tub black, the top black, and was getting roots so much faster. I would just trim a mother, a throw it in the cloner, nothing in the water but tap water. worked amazing. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=96601

Other parts and cabs from a restore for 20 bucks, lighting for cabs from homedepot, small computer fans from the computer store.

I will post finishing pictures soon. Hope he enjoyed my first grow, special thanks to everyone on ICMAG for all the threads, posts, pictures, experience. I have enjoyed reading every single post on this website.

g

TheDank23

Veteran
Hey deadein, looks like your problems seemed to have solved themselves, i might add your plants are looking very healthy, as far as I can see, hard to tell with the HPS lighting.

Hitting them with a boost of N now seems a bit redundant, I would just continue as you are and finish out the cycle as they seem to be flushing well if not a little fast from what you are saying.

Few questions tho,

How long into flowering did you cut out your your grow a/b? Im thinking the answer to your dilemma there would be to shorten your veg time, and continue to use Grow a/b at half strength through first week or two of flowering. this might keep em nice and green after the stretch.

Did you top at all? doesnt look like it and i think you may really benefit from running a scrog... food for thought on next round?

If your scrubber is working then don't bother unless security is main priority, then by all means, go crazy. I would go look into cooltubes or running some kind of air cooled lights this should help you keep your temps down and control your environment a bit better.

Congrats on your first grow, keep em comin!

deadein

Hi TheDank23, thanks for replying. Your on the money. I didnt top, and I didnt do the A/B grow into flower. I was thinking for my next plants im going to run 2 weeks of veg nutes in flower and the next clones I have going in im going to top them. I added one more Blue Cheese clone last night in the cornor of the tent and topped it before I did. I have no space left in my two cabs with all the clones waiting for transplant and to be added to the tent. I need to chop these 3 Blue Cheese soon, but Im listening to people here and I want to push them at least a few more weeks.

I will add pictures TOMORROW of what they look like without the HPS lighting. I checked last week with out the HPS lighting and I was like OMG! This got me really excited. !

Stay Tuned peeps!

Hey deadein it looks to me like you have a little bit heat problem with the plants as i can see on pic. lights are to close to the plants or use fan under lamp to get the heat away.

Bluecheese is also one of my fav. great taste and stone and decent yield.

Takes about 60-65 days from clone and 65-75 days from seed so give it the time it needs for optimal results.

deadein

Hi, thanks for replying mrsmokealot!

I do have 3 clip on fans blowing across the canopy. Not visible in pictures. They shoot air at the bulb of the 150w and the 250w. There is air being movied around the top of the plants, I keep the light close as possible top increase the lumens per plant. Here are some updated pictures without the HPS light on. I used the veg cab light for some lighting.

I find a lot of people on the forums never know when to water the plants. I use soil, and the best advice I can give any newbie is to water heavy, lift pot, see how heavy it is when its really wet, WAIT !! for it to suck up all the water. YOUR plants pot should be light to lift up! WATER!!

There are some updated pictures with out the HPS. The buds are looking better everyday, i can really see that they are becoming covered in resin. They smell nice, they are sticky, and I cannot wait ! but I will, I am going to push these as long as I can, at least in July 8th. Will update with harvest pics soon! Thanks for reading. Any replys on this first grow, let me know. Most of the idea I got for this was developed from ICMAG and from the Blynx, 150w club, and DrBudGreengenes, I wanted to use CFL for the entire grow, but the cab I had saved and started to get ready for the flower cab, just wasnt going to do it. So I bought a tent. I use the cabs with the CFL's for veg only. If I'm going to do it, I thought, better do it right and get some nice end product. I dont have a ton of security issues so I opted for a small tent and a 150w and 250w together. Thanks for viewing.

TheDank23

Veteran
Hi TheDank23, thanks for replying. Your on the money. I didnt top, and I didnt do the A/B grow into flower. I was thinking for my next plants im going to run 2 weeks of veg nutes in flower and the next clones I have going in im going to top them. I added one more Blue Cheese clone last night in the cornor of the tent and topped it before I did. I have no space left in my two cabs with all the clones waiting for transplant and to be added to the tent. I need to chop these 3 Blue Cheese soon, but Im listening to people here and I want to push them at least a few more weeks.

I will add pictures TOMORROW of what they look like without the HPS lighting. I checked last week with out the HPS lighting and I was like OMG! This got me really excited. !

Stay Tuned peeps!

Don't worry, i made the same mistake with the nutes on my first grow... :biggrin:

OMG indeed, looking great! Blue cheese is great smoke, looks like she'll yield pretty well regardless of topping. If i may, maybe back the lights off on the last 2 weeks or so if possible? i've read/seen peeps do that as its supposed to help final resin production increase, looks like the tops could use a little break too..

Keep it movin!

deadein

Thanks for replying TheDank23!

I will raise the lights up a little tonight! I bought a handheld microscope with light at the hydro store yesterday. I took a whole bottom branch off last light. I got it drying now. I looked under the scope and the resin heads where all clear, with a couple half cloudy, no amber. This is a lower branch, if this makes a difference, I dont know. I think they got about another 2 weeks of plain water to go. The branch was from the bottom with one big bud at the end, and a few popcorns. I got it drying and Im going to smoke this soon and try it out.

There is nothing like the smell of your own fresh grown weed!

I could hang this off the end of my nose all day long ! LOL !

can't wait to try my first grow of Barneys Farm Blue Cheese !

Peton

Good work!

I just harvested a blue cheese from barneys. Mine did also have very early yellowing of leafs. I had a space shortage, so after 50 days of flowering, a took her outside the flowering room, and put her under a few LE, and until she was 65 days.

I took samples during that period, and she did actually continue her ripening process, and produced more and more potent smoke.

deadein

I harvested my first 3 Blue Cheese plants from my first grow. I got 450 grams wet. I will get just over 3 oz dry or a bit more. After a week drying I got everything in glass jars curing. I'm doing the burb every 8 hours and the buds are looking fantastic. I have smoked some and it is amazing smoke. Nothing like smoking your very own weed, finally !

I got 10 lollipop blue cheese in there now. I learned that the bottom branches was just a waste with the small popcorn so I chopped the lower branches this time. I topped a couple of them also, the whole tent is filled again July 1st count down. This time Im going to let this Blue Cheese go farther when they Finish. I pulled at 70 days, for space reasons, the first three plants were going all cloudy, only a few ambers. This round I'm going to let it go as long as possible. My 2 northorn lights have 1 month left on them. They are looking great.

I will post new pictures soon... thanks for reading !

Latest posts

Latest posts