What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant Matter in Kif. what to do.

bluebublelove

If I have 2 grams of kif dry sieved from some very dry trim on a store bought screen that allowed a very small amount of plant matter through along with the kif. I have heard of 99.9% ISO alchohol and kif to make jelly, and also to seperate kif from plant. but how would I go about doing this? :confused:

any help would be most appreciated.

mexicanmafia

Dank Galore!
i run my shake and stems in a mason jar w/ 99% iso and shake for 30 secs. dissolves the thc from plant material. more than 30 secs would get bad plant material in (chlorophyl) your hash/oil. then strain through a coffee filter onto a plate so the iso aclchohol can dissipate/evaporate. what you are left w/ is a thin layer of tch after the achohol is evaporated.

maybe you can apply this method to kief...place a lil 99% iso in a shot glass, then pour in desired hash/kief to alchohol. stir a lil to dissolve, then strain through paper coffee filter onto plate and let alchohol evaporate.... voala!

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Kiff and oil makes jelly, not kiff and iso. Best way to sieve out contaminents is to use a slightly tighter screen.

bluebublelove

thanks guys. I am gonna try a finer screen first, then if it is still an issue, I will try a solvent. I appreciate yall.

Keefhead

bluebublelove said:
thanks guys. I am gonna try a finer screen first, then if it is still an issue, I will try a solvent. I appreciate yall.

Attached is a table from the Dick Blick catalog showing the threads per inch and the microm opening of their monofilament cloth used for silkscreening. I've ordered from them at dickblick dot com and been happy in every way. I'm just a satisfied customer - other outfits may be as good.

Here's the table - I'd suggest you start with 51, it's what I settled on and I make pretty good stuff, double filtered, and nice and see-through. When I make my next batch in a month or two, I'll try to remember to post pictures. Remind me - us old farts, with already addled minds, tend to forget a lot when re-focused by our favorite herb.

Last edited:
C

Chamba

Keefhead said:
Attached is a table from the Dick Blick catalog showing the threads per inch and the microm opening of their monofilament cloth used for silkscreening. I've ordered from them at dickblick dot com and been happy in every way. I'm just a satisfied customer - other outfits may be as good.

Here's the table - I'd suggest you start with 51, it's what I settled on and I make pretty good stuff, double filtered, and nice and see-through. When I make my next batch in a month or two, I'll try to remember to post pictures. Remind me - us old farts, with already addled minds, tend to forget a lot when re-focused by our favorite herb.

51 ???.....51 micron is useless for dry sifting but good as a last mesh for catching resin heads when ice hashing.....or do you mean 151 micron? ...actually 151 and 120 micron would be a good combo for dry sifting, if you want the ideal screen mesh sizing as well as a beautiful locking stash box then check out the latest Gypsy stash box..I highly recommend it!.....83 quid + shipping

http://www.seedboutique.com/store/index.php?cPath=22

and check out my little report about this new model!

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=28627

ok, now I promise i will not be a spammarazi any longer...scouts honour!

where's the lighter?

Keefhead

Chamba, yer right on. However, I dry sift, make BHO, and use bubblebags.....

I've found some interesting stuff at 51 when I dry sift, but I have an audio speaker for a vibrator and 6 layers of screen. It works. In fact, my best bubbly came off the 51 screen. Strain dependent - other times I get little or trash like hairs. I think it has something to do with the location of the planets and the phase of the moon. :bat:

But no, I was speaking of a filter on the end of a BHO tube. Sorry if I wasn't more clear. It filters everything that the cotton filter may not get. JMHO though.

Yer right, that stash box is awesome.

Last edited:
C

Chamba

Keefhead said:
:

But no, I was speaking of a filter on the end of a BHO tube. Sorry if I wasn't more clear. It filters everything that the cotton filter may not get. JMHO though.

Yer right, that stash box is awesome.

I was thinking you were talking about using just the 51 micron mesh for kiffing...Sorry!..I often smoke a jay, get blasted as I speed read a few posts then fire off a reply usually off topic and off on some tangent!...I'll lay the blame on the Ak!

...I should of said that it's best to dry sift with two or three meshes ..or more..

here's one way to Triple Sift ....

..the first mesh should have hole openings large enough so most of the available trichomes pass through but fine enough so a minimum of debris passes through the mesh as well ..a 100 ~ 120 lpi mesh range the is ideal first mesh for most strains....

the second mesh should have openings that are slightly larger than the larger sized resin heads so most of the resin heads can be carded through while a high % of broken plant matter stays above the mesh, a 120 ~ 150 lpi mesh can be used here.

....the third mesh should have mesh hole openings that are slightly smaller in size than the smaller sized trichomes, as the kif is carded across this fine mesh the hairs and dusts with get worked through the mesh while the resin heads will remain above the mesh - 200 ~ 260 lpi meshes are good for this ...so yes, you can use a 51 micron (260 ~280 lpi) ..it all depends on the resin head size range....

that's how you get triple sifted kif!.....in my opinion smoking triple sifted kif made from home grown sativa buds is by far the best high there is..

I find that 51 micron ( or meshes that are over 230 lpi) and finer meshes tend to get clogged up fairly quickly...but like you said it all depends on the starting material....and working with meshes that match the trichome size range.

and yes, Gypsy's new stash box is awesome....the best thing I like about it is the side compartment, it's much deeper and wider than his previous models, so there's room for heaps of stuff.

One thing is for sure you can make damn good kif with just one mesh screen and excellent quality with two screen frames.....dry sifting is all about three things - quality of the starting material, the choice of mesh size(s) and technique

Happy Hashing!

Last edited:

Keefhead

You've got it down right IMHO. The results that I get from my multi-screener (picture attached) are pretty much like you say. But as you can see, I sample a lot of different sizes. The latest version is bass speaker driven, but I'm looking for a paper jogger to buy and try.

Of course, it's always fun to get more layers and try to compare the different sifts. Kinda like bubble bags, the additional bags simply give you more options depending on the source. Different strains have different size trichomes, so the different screens give you more variety.

But whatever - it's all good.

Last edited:

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
keef where should I be looking for those screens?
Im looking at dickblick but dont know what section

Peace

C

Chamba

bluebublelove said:
If I have 2 grams of kif dry sieved from some very dry trim on a store bought screen that allowed a very small amount of plant matter through along with the kif. I have heard of 99.9% ISO alchohol and kif to make jelly, and also to seperate kif from plant. but how would I go about doing this? :confused:

any help would be most appreciated.

I'd run that kif through the same mesh again ....use a card to scrape the kif across the taut mesh, stop when about 80% of the kif has been carded through the mesh. Providing the mesh is within the right size range, and as resin heads are rounder and heavier than the broken up plant matter (or in my case, bud matter) so intially, the trichomes will pass through the mesh in higher percentages...the 20% that remains on top of the mesh will be mostly non-active rubbish...

it's always best to use a mciroscope or 20~30X magnifying glass to check your progress.

Happy Hashing

Keefhead

In the 2005 Dick Blick catalog they are listed on page 332. You'll see all the screen printing material. The right one is called "Monofilament Polyester Screen Fabric". With the following table from OG you should be able to find what you want. The part numbers are Dick Blick numbers.

Try http://www.dickblick.com/zz434/05/ and see if it will suit you. I bet you could just call them using the above part numbers and order what you want with a credit card. They are, after all, a large art store, and nothing to trace.

Last edited:

Sleepy

Veteran
Keefhead said:
You've got it down right IMHO. The results that I get from my multi-screener (picture attached) are pretty much like you say. But as you can see, I sample a lot of different sizes. The latest version is bass speaker driven, but I'm looking for a paper jogger to buy and try.

Of course, it's always fun to get more layers and try to compare the different sifts. Kinda like bubble bags, the additional bags simply give you more options depending on the source. Different strains have different size trichomes, so the different screens give you more variety.

But whatever - it's all good.

wow! :yoinks:

nice craftsmanship!!!

:woohoo:

Keefhead

Sleepy said:
wow! :yoinks:

nice craftsmanship!!!

:woohoo:
Thanks, it's just window screen frames, and a pine box. However, the next version will be made from Maple and finished.

I love woodworking, second to my favorite herb of course.

Latest posts

Latest posts