What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone with D.I.Y. Hash Press instructions?

bluebublelove

I use a space case press which does a great job of press the kif but the resulting kif is often very dry and some times easily crumbles. I have used heat to bind trichomes and I am looking for a press that I can boil or place in very hot water while continuosly pressing. anyone with a description on supplies needed and how to, and pictures are always great. thanks.

Keefhead

I went through several presses in vain, looking for one that fit MY needs - easy to use with arthritic hands, and easy to clean. The Piecemaker fit me and my needs. Expensive - yes - in fact it's just out of control. I paid more for that than I did for my okief hash tumbler. But it works as advertised, and produces little tokens about the size of a quarter, but I make them thicker, about an eighth of an inch, usually weighing in at 2 grams of powder to give me a 2 gram "coin".

Yes, you can put it in water, or in the oven, or anyplace else. It's solid stainless. And every few minutes give it a turn and press that little ball of trichomes into a small hockey puck just perfect for storing away for a rainy day.

Dewzy

or if your looking for and extremely cheap way to press a small amount you can make sole hash. wrap it into a tight little package with some plastic, ( like celophane wrap or a cigarette wrapper ) tape it closed and put it in your shoe. the pressure and heat created from the foot in the shoe will press the keif into a soft black peice of hash. ...for free! you may want to put the hash in the freezer so it will come out of the plastic easy.

ps. get the pun, sole hash

Dewzy

oh missed the fact thAt you had a press already, if its made out of metal why not put it in a ziplock bag and dip the bottom of the bag (the closed part) into a pot of hot water.

bluebublelove

the problem with the press I have is that it has a plastic peace in the middle that presses it. but I have looked at the piecemaker and I am going to make on, I think for hopefully a fraction of the price. thanks for the input.

Pactivist

Heya Blue, this is how i press my Kif into hash - I took a large 6 corner deepwell socket - 3/4" in my case. then i took 2 3/4" bolts, one of which i cut the threads off. I put the cutoff bolt into the socket upside down so that the top of the head faces out from the socket. i fill the socket with Kif powder (you can line the socet with cellophane if you wish - it helps with removal) then i place the other bolt into the socket with the threaded portion sticking out. I then place this entire unit in a 4" c-clamp, squeeze the hell out of it, and let it sit in my oven but only on the pilot light after a couple of hours i go back and tighten the c-clamp, and i tighten it occasionally over the next couple of days. it is pressing right now, so as soon as it's done i will post a couple of pics of the finished product. for now here is a pic of it fully assembled.
peAce,
pacT

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Take a nickle or a quarter, go to the hardware store. There are garden hose fittings that can fit a quarter [might have to file the inside thread a bit]. and copper and also steel pipe fittings that can fit the coin size. There is a copper end cap that fits the nickle size, get one of those if nothing else. Drill a small hole in the bottom of the end cap. put one nickle in, fill with resin, top off with the other nickle and clamp with a c-clamp.

I first made kashmiri twist hash, back in 78, where you use the corn husks for the twist wrapper, you heat that, and it sucks. Done it both ways, and for me, heating the hash in the press only lessens the quality of the product. The chap above may have a better touch than I do if it works for him.
H

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Yeah those peace makers r nice but damn the price. You can also do it on the cheap between wax paper, in a zip lock, and press in a table vise. Keep in mind the more contaminants you have the harder it will be to stay together after pressed.

bluebublelove

Thanks everyone, Pactivist, very cool press, exactly what I'm looking for. hope to see some of your pressed pics. does pressing your hash with heat give you the waxy glassy coating? peace all

Pactivist

yeah blue it does, it gets a real glossy coating on the outside i figure that that is what protects the inside. My hash press works very effectively, but it is a bit difficult to get the hash out of, and requires a good cleaning between every batch, but all of that is worth it to me. I was making a lot of oil before, but now, i def. like pressed hash better. pics in a day or two of the finished "pucks"
peAce
pacT

Pactivist

Here ya go!

Here ya go!

yo blue
here are those pics of some pressed hash - plus the disassembled press. You will notice the difference in the color and the texture of the bits of hash, the one on the bottom came out perfect the other 2 ..not so perfect.. this part was sort of experimental as i was not sure of time or temp to pruduce the quality of hash that i was looking for. now I know -- it takes at least 24 hours under pressure at a temp of about 85 degrees f. less than that will not give the trich's time to fuse.
as for the press - you can see that i cut the threads off from the one bolt which i put into the socket bolt side down, i follow that with as much Kif as i can fit into it, followed by the other bolt, head down. after that it is just a matter of putting it in the c-clamp and placing it in my oven (gas oven, pilot light only) for 24 hours or a little longer. During that 24 hours i occasionally tighten the c-clamp to add a little more pressure.
after all of that, this hash is a real delight to smoke. the only thing is that i wish i had a better silk screen which would keep out the green stuff. anybody got any advice on which size screen is optimal 78u? 100u? bigger?
thanks
pacT

Last edited:

Keefhead

I use a piecemaker, and if you just keep clamping down, you don't have to heat it. I got nice hard tokens in my last batch with no heat at all. Maybe its strain specific, and depends on moisture content of the hash. I dry mine on cardboard before pressing, and kief right from the tumbler. Just my :2cents: worth.

C

Chamba

I'm of the opinion that if you have to use more than thumb pressure into your palm to form it into a hash so it stays in that solid form without crumbling then that kif contains too many contaminants (broken up plant matter) and not enough % of trichomes/resinheads....the remedy is to stop sifting earlier or to use several screen frames to get a purer kif

let's face it...what's the point of trying to form kif into a hash with heat and pressure so you end up with only commercial grade hash?....we should make quality hash that is special, soft, and sticky like putty, not some crumbly shit that's equivilent to street shit.

those little metal grinders with mesh screens are a good intro into the pleasures of making your own hash, but as you have seen, the mesh holes are too large so the quality of the kif is low grade...but when you get serious about kiffing, dry sifting and smoking the same hash that rock stars smoke go out and get yourself a pollen, stash or kif box , ideally with several screens and make some creme putty and smoke only a match head worth to get your brain zinged!

and anyway...I rarely press hash...loose kif burns cooler, more evenly and goes further than pressed hash

Keefhead

With much due respect I totally agree with you, but I find the tokens much handier, such as concerts where hash looks like hash, but bakelite-like tokens go right in. (Yeah, I'm 60 years old, but I ain't dead.) :joint: And cops ignore them when I am taking some stash to my friends. Wonder how I know? :chin:

I still smoke loose kief, and I find it a great bed for putting some liquid gold on (BHO). :pointlaug :crazy: :D :crazy: :D

As to my commitment to kief I attach the following photograph for your consideration. I vibrate it down with a 5x7 speaker mounted on top, which the top and front cover are removable. Put some music on, and listen to the tunes as your kief is being made. The output is a fine choice of grades, and some great bubble as well. :woohoo:

Last edited:

Sub Nl

Hi, i'd have to disagree with popular consensus.

I avoid keef where possible.

I press keef into hash, burst those resin glands and avoid any natural binding agents.

I also mix 2/3 keef with 1/3 BHO for jellyhash. makes both substances managable and smokeable.

I've got a bag of keef looking at me now saying 'cigarette wrapper, sub, shoe' but...

btw, we all know keef means crystals from flowers right? and we all know not to make keef from indicas or to smoke indicas in general right? good ^_^

btw, the keef i got is from a breeding project, g13 haze x nyc diesel. so that means cross-pollination occurred. that means keef isn't as strong as sensimella keef, but imo tastes much nicer due to no stress hormones. ie. plant got laid and happy, rather than going home alone at 3am with no hooker money.

btw, just got in from doors on single canal, damn good music, ooen while 3am, 3.50 euros a pint. barneys earlier, grey area even earlier. parks afternoon. now you're getting personal. woah there skunkeee.

subby

Pactivist I love your “bolt hash” idea. I was thinking that I could set it on my ballast to heat it because I only have electric in my house.