What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Better Call Saul....

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm really starting to jones for this new show! Frequently miss seeing Breaking Bad and Vince Gilligan's crazy humor and story lines. Saul is a great character to base a new show on, too. I figure it's not TOO early to start a thread about the show, it's going to premiere in November, and there are already little tidbits of storyline starting to appear in the news.

Here is the show's wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Call_Saul

Here's an article I saw today about the possible inclusion of 2 cousins from BB that we all know.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/18/cousins-better-call-saul_n_5347447.html

picture.php

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just checked AMC's website there is no mention of an air date.

Not sure how official the wiki page is, but here is the first sentence from that page:

"Better Call Saul is an upcoming American comedy-drama television series that is due to air on the network AMC from November 2014."

I'm going to guess it's accurate, the page was likely put up by the production team. But wikipedia certainly isn't fool proof.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I haven't watched all of breaking bad yet...and I don't know exactly what episodes so by the time I get that sorted ,,,Netflix will prob have it too...lol ,,,,,,,,,,, peace........ i have never managed to watch a whole series without missing a whole bunch,,,,,,hell I aint even seen all the sopranos episodes

bentom187

Veteran
If you get the free trial of Netflix its for a month, just finish them before then and cancel. I believe they had all but the last episodes. I had to purchase the last of them individually on xbox. That was only 2 or 3 bucks a piece.

Its a awesome series. Im pretty sure I could say the best, without much reservation. That's why I can not wait until this new series comes out.

WelderDan

Veteran
Netflix finally put the last episodes of BB up. Looking forward to Better call Saul. I enjoyed some of the the secondary characters, and I think this will be a pretty good show.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
well its been raining so I caught up...now I too am ready...lol...I can afford the 8$$$ no free trial needed but now its going up to 9 for new members....

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dude, it's well worth it. You'll also get some of the Netflix original programming. They produce a show called "House Of Cards," a political drama starring Kevin Spacey, that is some truly good shit.

Do the free trial...you should be able to watch both season 1 and 2 of House Of Cards in a month. That show is great. Kevin Spacey is incredible, he plays this southern congressional representative from South Carolina, and he's the most conniving, cunning fucker you'll ever see. His wife is almost as bad as he is. Probably much like many real congressmen. Once you start watching you can't stop.

Last edited:

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a bit of an update. If you aren't done watching Breaking Bad yet, this article gives a spoiler alert that some plot lines etc could be included in the article.

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...e-Know-About-Breaking-Bad-Spin-off-62921.html

Better Call Saul: What We Know About The Breaking Bad Spin-off

One thing is for certain: we're all very, very excited for AMC’s upcoming new series, Better Call Saul. Since the day the spin-off was announced, fans of Breaking Bad have positively lost their minds as they make their way through every interview, off-handed comment, and tweet, hoping to find answers to questions that drive TV fans crazy.

SPOILER ALERT: If you're not caught up with Breaking Bad, read on with caution! Some character and plot specifics are mentioned in the guide.

We know that can take an awfully long time to do! (Plus, most of you have jobs and lives, right?) So we’ve decided to compile everything we know about Better Call Saul, what speculative theories are out there, and what they’ve yet to decide as your new favorite TV series makes its long and winding way from concept to premiere date. Don't say we never did anything nice for ya!

What Is It and When Can I Watch?

Better Call Saul is a mostly comedic spin-off series of AMC’s insanely popular drama, Breaking Bad, starring ne’er-do-well but whip-smart lawyer to the worst of Albuquerque, Saul Goodman (a.k.a. Bob Odenkirk). It will center around Saul and feature the dark comedy he brought to the series. Being that Odenkirk is a comedian first, the show will likely marry both of his worlds.

When we left Saul at the end of Breaking Bad he was on the run, disappearing into a new life entirely, so nothing about Saul's future is certain, but his past is pretty clear and contained, and that's the focus of Better Call Saul, as the series is set up as more or less of a prequel to the Walter White era revealed to us in Breaking Bad. We met Saul Goodman on Breaking Bad when one of his many seedy advertisements inspired Jesse to call him for legal assistance. And from there, the rest is history, as Goodman's shady resourcefulness, connections and legal background proved particularly useful at times to Walter White. But how did he become the man Walter White met in the "Better Call Saul" episode? That's what this new series will hopefully reveal to us, one episode at a time.

Though an exact premiere date for Better Call Saul hasn't been set, AMC has confirmed that the series will premiere in November 2014.

Where It Will Air?

Better Call Saul will air on AMC, duh. But there’s a caveat in that it will also appear on Netflix! Netflix and Breaking Bad producer Sony Pictures Television have “closed a deal for the spinoff series to be released through all of the streaming service’s territories.” But it won’t be simultaneous everywhere: in the U.S. and Canada, the complete first season of Better Call Saul won’t be available to Netflix members after its season finale on AMC.

Who’s Making It?

While Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan will be involved, he will not be at the reigns this time. That’s a job for the creator of the Saul Goodman creator himself, writer/producer Peter Gould. Additionally, Emmy-nominated “Say My Name” writer, Tom Schnauz has also been confirmed to join the Better Call Saul team.

What About the Cast?
As it stands, there are two actors confirmed for Better Call Saul — Bob Odenkirk (natch), and Jonathan Banks, better known as his character, Mike Ehrmantraut. A very exciting prospect indeed, considering the prickly Ehrmantraut was basically the Olivia Pope of nefarious New Mexican deeds. Hopefully the series will also give us some more insight into who Mike was pre-Walter White.

Other Breaking Bad actors seem to be chomping at the bit to return, including Krysten Ritter (as Jane, Jesse's girlfriend in Season 2). We asked Ritter if she'd be up for appearing in Better Call Saul when we spoke with her during the Veronica Mars junket and she told us,. "I would do it in a second. I love all of those people. I would do anything with any of them."

But it doesn't sound like anyone's asked yet. And as Ritter herself pointed out, there might be an issue with Jane's path crossing with Saul's, since he was kind of involved in taking care of the situation when -- to put it vaguely for those who still aren't caught up on Breaking Bad -- Jane exited the series. But who's to say Saul would've remembered her if he did meet her in his past? Or if he did, that he would have pointed it out to anyone during Breaking Bad? Maybe there's a way to bring Jane into the story without drastically affecting her character's story (or Saul's awareness of her) in Breaking Bad. Just a bit of speculation, but for now, it doesn't sound like Ritter's been approached about being on the show.

What About Characters Like Hank?

One thing is for certain: Dean Norris (Hank) is out. Since joining the cast of CBS' Under the Dome, Norris has been quoted multiple times that he doesn't believe they'd let him do "a little cable show." So, there's that. He also said he's not a fan of "revisiting something that has already been done," but he's excited to see the show. We can probably rule out any appearances by Hank Schrader in Better Call Saul, at least in the near future.

And Aaron Paul? Bryan Cranston?
And while there’s been talk — both from the actors and the rumor mill — that Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston might reprise their roles on Better Call Saul, nothing’s been confirmed yet. But even Gilligan is into the idea, it seems, explaining to The Hollywood Reporter back in October that, “Personally, I'd have a hard time resisting putting all these guys in for a cameo or two every now and then. The sky's the limit with a prequel. Everybody who's now deceased in the Breaking Bad world is obviously still alive. You never know who might turn up and when and where.”

And let’s be real: boy oh boy would we love to see some more young Jesse Pinkman action. (As would Aaron Paul, it seems!) Last we heard, Paul had "serious talks" with Vince Gilligan about reprising his role in Better Call Saul.

The Concept
This is where things are a bit vague still. According to Odenkirk, Better Call Saul will be “a mix of prequel and sequel” — at least that’s how it stood back in November. Prior to, the show was posited staunchly as a prequel series that ”will focus on the evolution of the Goodman character before he ever became Walter White’s lawyer.”

As it stands now — and as of January — Better Call Saul will largely be a prequel with fractured chronology. Check this excerpt:

We think, by and large, this show will be a prequel, but the wonderful thing about the fractured chronology we employed on Breaking Bad for many years is the audience will not be thrown by us jumping around in time. So it’s possible that we may indeed do that, and we’ll see the past and perhaps the future. Nothing is written in stone yet, we’re still figuring it out, but the thing we realize is tricky with the character is that Saul Goodman is very comfortable in his own skin. He seems to be a character who is pretty happy with himself, especially when we first meet him. He seems to be a pretty happy-go-lucky guy, and that makes him everything that Walter White is not. And that also makes for tricky drama. When I say drama, even in a comedy, you want drama, you want tension and conflict, and a character that at heart seems at peace with himself is intrinsically undramatic. [Laughs] So we’ve been thinking about how to address that issue.

Will It Be Funny? A Drama?
Well, yes and yes. Technically speaking. According to creator Vince Gilligan, the biggest challenge for bringing Better Call Saul to life has been “to find the ongoing itch that Saul needs to scratch, so to speak, or else we wouldn’t have much of a show.” Which is why, it seems, the series has decided on a 75 percent comedy/25 percent drama ratio. The episodes will follow an hour-long format.

Where Will It Be Set?

Better Call Saul Albuquerque, New Mexico, of course! At the offices of Saul Goodman. There’s been talk that we may also see a bit of courtroom drama, but nothing’s been confirmed yet, so best not to speculate on subject matter until we're closer to the whole thing coming together, don't you think?

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bob Odenkirk is one of my favorite people in general. :) Mr Show with Bob and David was my favorite tv show back in college. I still have to finish the last season of Breaking Bad before I can start this one.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I loved saul and getting mike is a huge bonus as well,,me and mrs s2 cant wait,,s2

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I loved saul and getting mike is a huge bonus as well,,me and mrs s2 cant wait,,s2

Me too, Mike was a great character. I wonder how they are going to make his grizzled face appear younger? That's going to take some serious makeup!

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
might be a good time to temper expectations....

might be a good time to temper expectations....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/03/breaking-bad-spinoff-better-call-sail_n_5439788.html

Vince Gilligan Admits His 'Breaking Bad' Spinoff Might Be A Mistake

When "Breaking Bad" creator Vince Gilligan first announced his hit AMC show about a methamphetamine-dealing chemistry teacher would be getting a spinoff series, fans rejoiced. They were wide-eyed, still reeling from the excitement and drama of the final season and not ready to say goodbye to the world of Walter White.

But now that the dust has settled and both Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul have moved on from their drug-peddling counterparts, some fans are starting to wonder if creating a spinoff of one of the most critically acclaimed series on TV is such a good idea. And apparently, that anxiety has rubbed off on the man sitting in the director's chair.

Vince Gilligan sat down at The Hollywood Reporter's roundtable to discuss his iconic drama and what's in the works for the highly anticipated "Better Call Saul" venture and the show runner admitted he's a bit worried about the fate of Bob Odenkirk and the cast.

After revealing production is almost two weeks behind schedule, Gilligan confessed his biggest concern with the new show is that it might follow in the footsteps of another unsuccessful spinoff.

"I am worried ... it may turn out this was a mistake to do this," Gilligan told his fellow directors. "If it's 'After M.A.S.H' rather than 'Frasier' it won't be for a lack of hard work and wishful thinking, but you just don't know until the world takes it."

Fans might be able to chalk these latest comments up to nerves, but we'll find out this Fall if Gilligan is able to work his magic again for his hordes of faithful TV viewers.

[YOUTUBEIF]BojV0jhcEvU[/YOUTUBEIF]

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some news...kinda:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/13/aaron-paul-better-call-saul_n_5492079.html

Aaron Paul Offers Two Different 'Better Call Saul' Scenarios For Jesse Pinkman

It's no news that "Breaking Bad" stars Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston want to return for "Better Call Saul," the forthcoming spinoff series from the acclaimed AMC drama. The actors have both said that they'd love to reprise Jesse Pinkman and Walter White in their earlier days on the prequel, before the meth adventures began. Speaking to HuffPost Live host Ricky Camilleri on Friday, Paul reiterated that wish.

"Let's be honest, I don't think we're going to see more 'Breaking Bad,' but I hope we might be able to play our character again in 'Better Call Saul,' but that's not solidified," Paul said. "It's not set in stone, there's no plan of Jesse or Walt making an appearance in the first season of 'Better Call Saul.' [But] who knows? Maybe in the future seasons."

Despite that hopeful comment, Paul was far less optimistic about his "Better Call Saul" involvement when interviewed by HuffPost Entertainment in support of his new film, "Hellion."

"To be honest, it's not gonna happen," Paul said about Jesse's possible return in a separate discussion on Friday. "There's rumors floating around that I'm going to be doing it, but that's simply not the case. [...] I mean, I'm trying to let it be on the record."

Paul previously said he had "serious talks" with Vince Gilligan about returning to Jesse, but downplayed those conversations.

"We haven't talked about it," Paul said to HuffPost Entertainment. "I mean, we've joked around about it, but it's a prequel. I have no idea how [Jesse] would show up. I'm much older now. But I don't look older, I look kinda younger, which is strange." It must have been something in the meth fumes.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some news...kinda:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/13/aaron-paul-better-call-saul_n_5492079.html

Aaron Paul Offers Two Different 'Better Call Saul' Scenarios For Jesse Pinkman

It's no news that "Breaking Bad" stars Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston want to return for "Better Call Saul," the forthcoming spinoff series from the acclaimed AMC drama. The actors have both said that they'd love to reprise Jesse Pinkman and Walter White in their earlier days on the prequel, before the meth adventures began. Speaking to HuffPost Live host Ricky Camilleri on Friday, Paul reiterated that wish.

"Let's be honest, I don't think we're going to see more 'Breaking Bad,' but I hope we might be able to play our character again in 'Better Call Saul,' but that's not solidified," Paul said. "It's not set in stone, there's no plan of Jesse or Walt making an appearance in the first season of 'Better Call Saul.' [But] who knows? Maybe in the future seasons."

Despite that hopeful comment, Paul was far less optimistic about his "Better Call Saul" involvement when interviewed by HuffPost Entertainment in support of his new film, "Hellion."

"To be honest, it's not gonna happen," Paul said about Jesse's possible return in a separate discussion on Friday. "There's rumors floating around that I'm going to be doing it, but that's simply not the case. [...] I mean, I'm trying to let it be on the record."

Paul previously said he had "serious talks" with Vince Gilligan about returning to Jesse, but downplayed those conversations.

"We haven't talked about it," Paul said to HuffPost Entertainment. "I mean, we've joked around about it, but it's a prequel. I have no idea how [Jesse] would show up. I'm much older now. But I don't look older, I look kinda younger, which is strange." It must have been something in the meth fumes.

massive thanks for that danny:tiphat:,,counting the days till we can see it,,wonder if its going to netflix
or shown much earlier in the states?,,s2

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Supposed to be starting in November here in the US, but I did hear that they might be behind schedule a bit, so not sure. This won't be on Netflix for awhile, still on AMC.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/30/better-call-saul-walter-white_n_5543931.html

Forget Saul. You "Better Call" for a defibrillator after this!

"Better Call Saul" executive producer Peter Gould has revealed that the show will feature scenes moving back and forth through time, allowing for the return of some of our favorite "Breaking Bad" characters, including Walter White, according to the New York Daily News.

“One of the great things about having a time line which is flexible is that perhaps some of it takes place before ‘Breaking Bad,’ during ‘Breaking Bad,’ and after ‘Breaking Bad.' That gives us the ability to bring back characters that were killed on ‘Breaking Bad,’” Gould told The News.

Gould adds that the show will "stand on its own" and not be more "Breaking Bad," but having White return in any capacity is still enough to make fans totally lose it. Both Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul have already said they'd be interested in reprising their roles as White and Jesse Pinkman, respectively.

Perhaps the best news of all is that when Cranston responded, "Never say never," after CNN asked if Walter White could return, he wasn't just quoting a Justin Bieber song. He actually meant it. (Thank god)

:biggrin: :woohoo:

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's some more info....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/12/better-call-saul-cast_n_5580247.html

'Better Call Saul' Gets Series Regulars And Two New Photos

There's going to be a lot of people calling Saul this fall when the "Breaking Bad" spinoff premieres, but who?

AMC has finally announced the series regulars on "Better Call Saul" and they're a handful of familiar TV faces. Alongside Bob Odenkirk reprising his fan favorite role as Saul, Jonathan Banks will return to the Vince Gilligan universe as fixer Mike Ehrmantraut. The rest of the cast will include Michael McKean as Chuck, Rhea Seehorn from "House of Lies" as Kim, Patrick Fabian from "Big Love" as Hamlin, and Michael Mando of "Orphan Black" as Nacho. It's still unknown whether or not Walter White or Jesse Pinkman will make a return, but Saul can make anything happen, right?

At the Television Critics Association summer tour on July 11, Gilligan and "Breaking Bad" writer Peter Gould also announced more details on what the spinoff will be about. Set six years before Saul meets Walt, the series will introduce us to small time hustling lawyer Jimmy McGill, who will eventually become the criminal lawyer with the colorful suits. The first season of 10 episodes will premiere in early 2015 and the second season will consist of 13 episodes. Check out two new photos from the upcoming series below. We know you're dying with anticipation until 2015, but don't worry, it's all good, man (get it?).