What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fuel, rotten meat & other ugly smells: what causes it?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I was wondering what might cause the fuel, diesel, rotten meat & dead skunk smells and maybe also other nasty odours... couldn't find anything and I know of no terpene with such kind of ugly smell.
I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on that.

Right now, my Ciskeis smell like the Cali-O from last year did: like overripe, rotten orange peel with hints of rancid motor oil and maybe something like turpentine. I suppose the orange and turpentine comes from racemic limonene. I don't like it that much though... Unfortunately, I never paid any attention on whether cannabis synthesises (D)-(+), (S)-(-), or racemic limonene. Anyone any idea?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I also am keenly interested in the answer to this question.

Been making crosses to narrow the terpene profiles of
cultivars in my possession to knowingly make crosses
to produce desired profiles.

I wish I were 20 years younger so I could have the time
to get the results I want.

If yellow and blue make green, then limonene and humulene
make...

Daub Marley

There are over 120+ different terpenes found in cannabis and altering even a minor constituent can radically alter the smell that we humans perceive. It would be very hard to find the exact terpene that cause a distinct smell. If we were lucky it might be a single terpene, but it can also be a group with a specific ratio that is dependent on each other for effect. How we smell is not something that science completely understands so there is really no guarantee it could be found.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
The ugliest of the ugly smells, to me, is one that I've encountered on 2 plants so far in my 20 year career... I refer to it as the burnt rubber smell. YUCK!!! It always makes me want to vomit in my mouth. I trashed both plants that exhibited this smell without any mercy. One was Cheese by Dinafem. The other one I don't even remember what strain it was. But strangely enough, the smell always confused my olfactory sense, because it seemed to morph into a "fried chicken" smell every once in a while, and then my brain would make it go back to smelling like burnt rubber again. Anyway, it made me stop eating fried chicken for like 10 years!!! lol

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
picture.php

I'd guess pinene/terpineol n mycrene to be contributors myself, but most likely a few others in different ratios are contributing also.

cheers,....................................................gps

Only Ornamental

Veteran
i'm sure one of the terpenes in the mix is myrcene creating that funk..
Myrcene smells quite nice, in a mix maybe a bit funny but I don't think it's one of the 'bad guys' (also because it's one of the major constituents in many cannabis varieties). Although, it's one of those which change smell easily and heavily influence the smell of mixtures. But it's generally regarded as lovely, nice, floral... and I know of no essential oil rich in myrcene with a bad smell.

There are over 120+ different terpenes found in cannabis and altering even a minor constituent can radically alter the smell that we humans perceive. It would be very hard to find the exact terpene that cause a distinct smell. If we were lucky it might be a single terpene, but it can also be a group with a specific ratio that is dependent on each other for effect. How we smell is not something that science completely understands so there is really no guarantee it could be found.
I know... and it's what I fear.
But maybe, just maybe, someone found one or another which by itself causes a disgusting odour. That way it would be easier to remove it by selective breeding ;) .
My experience with essential oils and volatile terpenes is that the smell may change and mixtures are unpredictable but I never smelled one that changes from lovely to puke inducing (although, some sulphur compounds like dimethyl sulfide belong to that category). Just a few stink in pure form but not like the ones I've smelled on cannabis myself or heard/read people talk/write about. Usually for my nose, a smell remains either in the category good or bad and such dominant notes like gasoline or decay should be attributable to something...

I'd guess pinene/terpineol n mycrene to be contributors myself, but most likely a few others in different ratios are contributing also.
Pinene and terpineol in pure form smell more like a pine forest, maybe harsh but not bad, and essential oils I smelled which contained high amounts of these constituents were never ugly, just very piny, fir/spruce resin like, or turpentine-ish. For me, these monoterpenes are pretty dominant, easy to smell out, and very consistent in mixtures (they don't really change flavour no matter what).

devilgoob

Veteran
You dick, tehere are stoned people on here!!

Yes. racemic means both...left-handed and right-handed versions of the molecule.

I am sure one beats the other and lemon is a smell, but if the "otherly handed" molecule is more numerous, it probably turns into an orange smell.

Orange taste good and so does lemon and stuff. Maybe it attracts things.

Skunks and rotting meat are things to avoid. Maybe it deters things.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
You dick, tehere are stoned people on here!!
:laughing:
Yea, I can see that you're one of those... you seemingly have really potent stuff in your stash :D . Astonishing that you still know how to switch on a computer (no offence buddy).

GSPfan

Veteran
Lets all hope that SCiO works as advertised. Its a pocket sized molecular sensor that is being brought to the masses. Its supposed to be able to determine terpines as well as thc content if the hype I read was true.

mofeta

Veteran
Cannabis also contains other classes of compounds that contribute to taste and smell (maybe the high too?) besides terps.

Simple esters are found in pot (these are not the same as the esterified cannabinoids you may have read about) Here is a table I lifted from Wikipedia about simple esters in general:

Above the table it says:

'Many esters have distinctive fruit-like odors, and many occur naturally in the essential oils of plants. This has also led to their commonplace use in artificial flavorings and fragrances when those odors aim to be mimicked.'
attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm pretty sure that I have read that methyl salicylate (oil of wintergreen) has been identified in weed (maybe that's where the minty flavor and smell of that old Oaxacan you smoked back in the day came from).

Notice also that besides fruity smells simple esters can smell like pine, or like solvents or glue. Chem? Diesel? Maybe I guess, I don't know.

There are other types of compounds in pot that smell and taste too, but I have to go now. Maybe you can look into it for now, and later I will check in to add more.

Attachments

• simple ester table top.jpg
    simple ester table top.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 31
  • simple ester table bottom.png
    simple ester table bottom.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 17

devilgoob

Veteran
I misspelled teh word on purpose.

No offence taken, my computer uses a button and runs Server 2008 with no restarts.

T

Terps

Would'nt it be good if someone made like some sort of scratch and sniff type booklet for all the different terpene's that are known and what they're associated with, for example you could have a little square of limonene that when you scratch it smells like lemons and have written underneath a list of things that contain that terpene.
Everybody interprets smells differently and that type of thing could help connoisseurs hone their noses.
How many times have you had bud that smells wonderful but cant quite put your finger on what it smells like?
The other day i had a bud that to me smelt exactly like ripe mango but my girlfriend said carrots lol wtf!?

:ying:

indabonga

Cannabis ****
Veteran
martian mean green ,g13 haze by soma or the 80% of the european strains smell like the green bottom of the carrorts: the green spicy smell u fell when u peel the carrots..

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
yeah i didn't think you meant a bad smell, i love those "rotten" tones but they made from very complex mix of terpenes some of them are extremely floral just altered how we perceive them by one or two others, that's how that whole spectrum is made..

essential oils are fascinating..

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
^ I fully believe that is why my brain was switching back and forth between smelling burnt rubber and fried chicken. The way the brain perceives smells is fascinating to me.