What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

cooking whole plant?

T

Terps

Hi there cannachefs im looking to start including plant material in my diet, im wondering if i wilt the leaves and stems does this affect its medicinal qualities as oppose to eating it raw?

I really don't fancy juicing as it tastes vile and just isn't convenient for me.

Also does anyone know if leaves from low CBD hight THC varieties contain CBD?
And do the stems contain cannabinoids or only leaves?

Cheers

Swamp Thang

Veteran
I would be wary of eating raw cannabis. Apparently the buds and leaves are covered in microscopic fish-hook shaped structures that can wreak havoc on the digestive system, so I would decarb my weed to make canna-oil, if I were you.

Regarding TCH and CBD content, my understanding is that the fan leaves possess a high CBD content, while the TCH is confined mainly to the buds and sugar leaves.

T

Terps

Well it wouldnt really be raw if i wilted it in a pan it would be cooked i suppose. also i should of stated that i will keeping a few plants in veg just for cooking with so no flowers will be consumed just leaf and maybe stem.

I spend a lot of time in s.e Asia where they use the leaves in recipes such as chicken soup, i just want to know if cooking the leaves destroys any cannabinoids or if its still beneficial to consume cooked leaves.

And basically would a pure sativa still contain CBD in its leaves even the flowers have practically none?

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Every part of the plant contains cannabinoids. Leaves, stems, even roots. I don't know if leaves would have a higher CBD / THC ratio compared to buds.

I've been eating leaves and buds for a long time with no ill effects. I heat dry them until they're crispy, then grind them into a fine powder, then sift the powder with a mesh strainer to remove the big chunks. I use the bud powder and leaf powder in capsules. I'm sure you could cook with them too. Cooking doesn't destroy the cannabinoids unless you use too high of a temperature.

SmokinSteveW

Well it wouldnt really be raw if i wilted it in a pan it would be cooked i suppose. also i should of stated that i will keeping a few plants in veg just for cooking with so no flowers will be consumed just leaf and maybe stem.

I spend a lot of time in s.e Asia where they use the leaves in recipes such as chicken soup, i just want to know if cooking the leaves destroys any cannabinoids or if its still beneficial to consume cooked leaves.

And basically would a pure sativa still contain CBD in its leaves even the flowers have practically none?

Good question! Extremely high temperatures can evaporate THC and CBD. But normal cooking temperatures are not harmful and can even enhance the effects. Hope this helps! Happy baking!

SmokeToke1

What the others said - cooking won't really damage the stuff unless you use a really high temperature, cannabis is hardy in that sense. It's just a form of processing, and if you feel like really being careful, cook at a low temperature. Dunno if you drink milk, I usually don't but every once in a while I like to get some free ditch-weed from friends and toss it all into a pot of milk, good for drinking before sleep or after a hard day's work. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts