What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Insanely small crawlers under leaves

ceosam

So I am battling off root aphids... A few plants have some mite-ish damage so I checked under the leaves and didn't see anything... or did I?

Turns out there are some borderline microscopic crawlers under there... I have excellent vision and they are pretty impossible to spot, I wouldn't even be able to tell they are bugs but except they are moving. We are talking small, 1/10 the size of a spidermite maybe.

Any ideas? I've gone through all the pest threads I can find and nothing mentions these tiny fuckers.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
if you can see them with your naked eye its likely not bms or cms but it could be russet mites those have been making the rounds i hear.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
could be cyclamin mites, you'll have to look at the eggs.

i dont think cyclamen mites or broad mites can be seen by humans even if they have extremely good vision. im thinking either hes seeing r.a. nymphs leaving the soil because of water or treatments or russet mites. pics? invest in an am series dinolite 50-100,220x digital hand held microscope. $150. take a pick and compaere them to picks of all the usual suspets till you id them.

ceosam

I guess I'll invest in a USB scope... They are so small I can't even tell they are insects aside from them moving very slowly.

i dont think cyclamen mites or broad mites can be seen by humans even if they have extremely good vision. im thinking either hes seeing r.a. nymphs leaving the soil because of water or treatments or russet mites. pics? invest in an am series dinolite 50-100,220x digital hand held microscope. $150. take a pick and compaere them to picks of all the usual suspets till you id them.
Do you have any pics from the scope you're recommending? I've tried 3 scopes and none of them gave me the clarity i was looking for.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
go for this one. skip celestron. if you have a mac this the only worthy option.imo. its totally adequate for growers doing pest trich and flower inspections. affordable considering the quality customer service warranty etc. for an extra 50 it comes with a camera button on the mic. i skipped it but if i had it to do over i would have added it. one draw back is that it scrolls from 50 to about 80 clearly but between 80 and 200 there is no visibility. its not a flaw its how it was designed. its advertised as 50-75x, 220x. hope this helps. this site is awesome they emailed with me for days while tediously asked questions flip flopped on models and they were gracious and responsive. one on one phone calls etc

http://www.microscope.com/dino-lite-am3111-0-3mp-digital-microscope-1.html?category=227

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
i dont think cyclamen mites or broad mites can be seen by humans even if they have extremely good vision. .

I had cyclamen mites, you can see them with your eyes but they look like specs of dust that move, even under magnification they are hard to identify because they move.

Thats why I said look at the eggs, because the easiest way to identify broad vs cyc is to look at the eggs.

Aphids are much larger and more mature aphids are very easy to see and identify with the naked eye, he said these are borerline microscopic which leads me to a mite over an aphid.

go for this one. skip celestron. if you have a mac this the only worthy option.imo. its totally adequate for growers doing pest trich and flower inspections. affordable considering the quality customer service warranty etc. for an extra 50 it comes with a camera button on the mic. i skipped it but if i had it to do over i would have added it. one draw back is that it scrolls from 50 to about 80 clearly but between 80 and 200 there is no visibility. its not a flaw its how it was designed. its advertised as 50-75x, 220x. hope this helps. this site is awesome they emailed with me for days while tediously asked questions flip flopped on models and they were gracious and responsive. one on one phone calls etc

http://www.microscope.com/dino-lite-am3111-0-3mp-digital-microscope-1.html?category=227
Thanks for link... I just returned this scope. They look pretty similar? I couldn't get a good image and it took pics.

http://www.amscope.com/ubw500x0200m.html

Wish you had pics so i could confirm it would be worth it.

ceosam

I'm still going with broad mite. I read the protein they secrete causes the leaves to turn inward which is happening to mine. I had just dealt (read as: still dealing with) root aphids, on my clone trays I would see the small white aphids running around at mach speeds. These white things under my leaves are smaller and move much slower, it a pace that reminds me of spidermites.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
Dang my gives me really descent quality pics and images. It's the best scope under 300. It isn't centerfold quality but definitely quality for diagnostics. Good luck. I'd be willing to bet it isn't bums you saw but you may have them but they are definitely imprecise ably small. There's no way your eyes could detect them. But if you are superhuman maybe. They need 100x for positive identification.

RetroGrow

Veteran
You cannot see broad or cyclamen mites or their eggs without a scope. 100X will work. The cheap $10 scope from Radio shack or Amazon will work. If you can see them with your eyes, they could be Russett mites, if your close-up vision is good. Broad & cyclamen mites will lay eggs on the undersides of leaves, but they don't hang out there. You can easily see the eggs with a 100X scope by cutting off a couple of affected leaves and examining under scope. Once confirmed, you can treat with chems (miticides), or heat treatment. If you have BMs or Cyclamens, they are all over your room/house and difficult to eradicate. Progressive Options is probably the biggest spreader of these pests, so it's ironic you posted a page from them. They are scumbags. Even walking into that place, you can get them on your shoes/clothes. Their instructions for "eradicating" them are a joke. Not gonna work. Heat treatment kills mites on plants and in the room. Pylon bombs also work if you are into pesticides. I kill them with just heat treatments. No chems for me. The miticides are extremely toxic and have to be handled very carefully.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
im putting money on this not being bms not saying you dont also have them too but definitely willing to bet its not what you saw with your naked eye.

Latest posts

Latest posts