What's new

Nutrients for plants producing seeds

TheMole

How much do you feed your plants after pollination?

My autoflowers (big bang) are close to the end of their productive little lives. I haven't seen any progress though in the past two weeks. They had their first round of pollination about 5 weeks ago and have been looking like they are about to drop some seeds for over two weeks. Some calyxes cracking open a little showing a green seed. Now, two weeks later, they still look the same to me. I was giving them plagron alga bloom nutrients, but have stopped doing so three weeks ago. I was concerned about overfeeding them and its common to starve them at the end anyway.

Now I'm wondering what would be the right thing to do, start alga bloom again? Some of them are really looking like they wont last much longer, and I do want those seeds before the end... Any other tips on getting as may seeds as possible here?

24 days ago:

10 days ago:

today:

TheMole

Well, I just gave them 1/2 strength alga bloom, aka 2ml per liter. I sure hope those seeds turn out good.

Btw, they've been open pollinated all during flower and looks like they're packing with seeds. Now seed is my priority, not bud, and I'm wondering how long I should keep them growing. I plan on harvesting enough seeds, say 100, for my next sog. Then keep the rest going till there is no point to it anymore. Any thoughts on how long that will be?

bambi

mate you've mature seeds ready now by the looks of the bottom photo, be a few green ones there yes, yet even these can turn darker once dried and be viable to use,

go another week perhaps and that should do it, id not keep feeding em though, no point really theve done there growing phase by this stage, pick a couple of brown seeds out now and see for yourself be the way to go.. buds speed - bam"

TheMole

Tnx for the info. When I sneak a peak in the calyxes the seeds are still green and the way I got it they'll pop open when they're done. So the green ones will be ok anyway?

bluhazy

i give the pollinated plant a complete nutes regime including N until 3 weeks from harvest if fully pollinated and i just harvest the seeds and toss the rest

Peace S

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seed can typically be harvested after 5 weeks. I let mine go 6 to ensure maturity.

I also feed keep my soil strong until harvest then turn the buds into hash after seed removal.

TheMole

I'm not counting on top notch buds haha, I'll keep em going for another week. Will green seeds ever mature after harvest? I have my doubts.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Give the seeds a few days to a couple weeks in the open air to "cure" (for lack of a better term), then give them the old pinch test.

Place a seed between your thumb & pointer finger and gently squeeze. Dead seeds will be easily crushed while live seed should be able to withstand the pressure applied. If you accidentaly crush a live seed or two it's ok. It appears you'll have plenty.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I almost forgot,

Seeds range in color from light green/tan to pure black.
Some are mottled, some are'nt.
A germ test is the absolute best way to know how alive your seeds are.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What did the original seed look like ?

Have found 30 days to be the shortest time for mature seed on a lightly dusted plant , a lot longer if more heavily seeded like yours appear to be , up to 60 days.

If you have soft pale slightly immature seed they mostly pop straight away but don't store well , use them first.

If you have the time/space I would wait till they start to fall out naturally , move to the edge of the grow if necessary as they don't need full light or a strict 12/12 at this stage.

TheMole

Well, these baby's have had so much sex, they're bursting with seed. Seems this can add a couple of weeks to the grow. My plan is to pick just enough seeds for the next sog and let them sit on the sideline till I don't have the space anymore. The thing is though, I need those seeds to start the next grow...
The one I posted pictures of is the best looking one, most bud and by far the most seeds (I suspect). This one might need the most time then, but because of it being the prettiest lady, its the one I want the seeds from. There is such a massive difference in yield between the different phenos. Better pick the right one for the next grow (and hope for the best).

TheMole

What did the original seed look like ?

It was dark brown, the colors I can see now don't come close.

I guess they have a hard time being pollinated so much. Good to know the often mentioned 5 weeks is not enough in that case for the seeds.

I wonder, I might have 1000's of seeds... Would be fun to throw a handful of seeds in the neighbors garden. :whistling:

Thanks a bunch for all the good tips. Info on harvesting seeds is tough to find.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Get stuck in there with a loupe and tweezers , and pull out some fatties.

Worth taking a little care as you don't want to encourage mould , even seeded bud is a decent smoke , esp if the good stuff runs out.

guy fawkes

Veteran
i noticed after i started using big budxl by H+G my beans come out much fatter and darker than before. makes you buds and it cheap.. win win

TheMole

Get stuck in there with a loupe and tweezers , and pull out some fatties.
I managed to do so with success. The wierd thing is, the brown seeds are to be found in the closed calyxes. Then ones that are (barely) split open are green. Didn't expect that. Well, grow and learn...
Worth taking a little care as you don't want to encourage mould , even seeded bud is a decent smoke , esp if the good stuff runs out.
I will be careful. I wonder how big of a difference it is with sensi. Obviously quantity is affected, but quality?

i noticed after i started using big budxl by H+G my beans come out much fatter and darker than before. makes you buds and it cheap.. win win

I'll keep that in mind for my next grow. I'm on the hunt for lots of little pots now and deciding how many to sprout for my sog.
I think I'll germinate 50 each of my two best looking seed producing females. Then from those 100 keep around 50 when they move to bigger pots. Up to that point the current ladies can keep growing seeds. As soon as I have the pots, I'll be picking those 2x50 seeds.

Its for my 4x4 grow space. Currently with 270 watt led, to be upgraded. Lets see how productive these big bangs can be. It'll be in soil and there is a pH meter on the way since I found out my tap water is about pH 7,8. Temps should be much better now as well, is going to be a huge difference.

Lots of learning to do and ICMag is a great resource for it. I hope to contribute when I'm a more seasoned grower.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wonder how big of a difference it is with sensi

In my experience with the same plant seeded and unseeded , the potency is lower and the flavours are muted , less euphoric but still has a body stone and pain killing effect but would not be my first choice.

I usually dry sift it , but it makes a good backup if the good stuff is intermittent in supply and likely to run out between crops.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
shit I don't even know how you guys remove all the seeds to actually use the bud, its such a fucking painstaking process I seeded a whole tent out and just dried the plants and put em in jars..... been rolling a few jays whenever i grab some seeds to grow but its just such a PITA that must be why people even fucking charge for seeds, someone had to be convinced to sit there through painstaking hours to remove those fuckin things..... i will trim for free now, simple to be away from the utter misery that is removing seeds.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you rub the seeded buds through a selection of sieves , such as endecotts , its quick and simple to separate them out.

TheMole

If you break up the buds over a sloped metal mesh the seeds should roll down and the plant material stays. At least that's what I'm going to try. Its going to be quite the chore I bet. I'll dry and cure the bud before that. The potential in each and every one of those seeds, doesn't that make it worthwhile? If I come up with something I'll share it.

Latest posts

Latest posts