What's new

Casual marijuana use linked to brain changes

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/15/marijuana-brain-changes/7749309/

Using marijuana a few times a week is enough to physically alter critical brain structures, according to a new study published Tuesday in The Journal of Neuroscience.
"Just casual use appears to create changes in the brain in areas you don't want to change," said Hans Breiter, a psychiatrist and mathematician at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, who led the new study.
There is actually very little research on the potential benefits and downsides of casual marijuana smoking — fewer than four times a week on average.
In his study, done in collaboration with researchers at Harvard University, scientists looked at the brains of 20 relatively light marijuana users and 20 people who did not use it at all. All 40 were college students in the Boston area.
The study found volume, shape and density changes in two crucial brain areas — the nucleus accumbens and the amygdala — involved with emotion and motivation and some types of mental illness. "This is a part of the brain you do not want to mess around with," Breiter said.
The more marijuana the students smoked, the more their brains differed from the non-users, the study found.
The brain continues to develop well into the 20s, and even into the 30s, said Breiter, who is concerned about the long-term impacts of marijuana use on the developing brain.
Staci Gruber, an associate professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, who was not involved in the research, said Breiter's findings are consistent with her own, although she has focused on somewhat heavier users.
"There have been a growing number of studies that suggest that marijuana use in emerging adults is associated with differences in brain structure and cognitive abilities," said Gruber, also the director of Cognitive and Clinical Neuroimaging Core at McLean Hospital outside Boston. "I'm not saying (pot smoking) is analogous to shooting heroin or cocaine, but it's also not quite the benign substance people thought it was."
Responding to a study that found a decline in IQ points among people who used marijuana regularly, Francis Collins, the director of the National Institutes of Health, told USA TODAY recently that people should be more aware of these potential brain impacts.
"Perhaps it would be better if ... there was a little bit more recognition of that particular consequence," he said.
Gregory Gerdeman, a biologist and neuropharmacologist at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Fla., said he has no reason to doubt the new study's findings but worries generally about marijuana research funded by federal agencies, like the Office of National Drug Control Policy, which is charged with limiting drug use. (The research was supported by grants from the National Institutes of Health as well as the Office of National Drug Control Policy and Northwestern Medicine's Warren Wright Adolescent Center.)
"If you're getting money from the drug czar's office, that money's not going to continue if you don't end up publishing something that at least supports the general story of the danger of drug abuse," Gerdeman said.
He said it doesn't surprise him that heavy pot smoking might make it difficult for students to reach their intellectual potential. But still, he said, "if it were my child, even with this study, I'm more comfortable with young people having a casual marijuana habit than drinking regularly."

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Reefer Madness 2.0

marijuanapropaganda1py3.jpg

Studies funded by the drug czar who is beholden to corporate interests. This country is such a fascist joke.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
it could also mean it has medicinal purposes for those who have mental illness

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
the fact that it impacts the area on a scan doesn't mean it harms it, I think we have enough anecdotal evidence to dispute that

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I've said it before, here we go again.......

any reports or studies done where only the word 'marijuana' is used instead of cannabis is NOT an unbiased study. Real scientists use the word cannabis because that is what it is, it is NOT marijuana. Studies or reports using the word marijuana are usually found to be funded by the US govt.

EDIT:

oh yeah! praise the lord if you're not a casual user :)

theJointedOne

Veteran
Propaganda anyone? how about a side of bullshit? lol

I hope herb does change my mind, into one in which i am not such a sheep to babylons ways..

Fire gonna burn!

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I saw this on Faux News last night while quickly scanning the propaganda networks. Megyn Kelly was pushing the issue with another one of their talking heads.

"Will someone just think of the children!"

Says the dirty little hooker....

megyn-kelly.jpg

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdala

Shown in research to perform a primary role in the processing of memory, decision-making, and emotional reactions, the amygdalae are considered part of the limbic system.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleus_accumbens

Research has indicated the nucleus accumbens has an important role in pleasure including laughter, reward, and reinforcement learning, as well as fear, aggression, impulsivity, addiction, and the placebo effect.[3][4][5][6]

you guys should know who spin works, it distorts truth, extract what ever meaning you like from the study, the fact that it "effects" these regions of the brain doesn't surprise those who have felt them

is it a bad thing? well for someone who is bipolar and replaced modern pharmaceuticals to achieve the same means with marijuana it is merely confirmation that my intuition was accurate.

who watches fox news anyway?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As Weird alluded to, spin doctors.

The government has the best BS money can buy

Unless abused, mj will actually expand the mind allowing us to see through the MSM bull shit

As you might imagine, they do not want anything interfering with their mind control programming

dddaver

Veteran
USA! USA! USA! USATODAY is just a mess of bullshit.

Dear Shit-heads (sometimes known as editors at USATODAY),
We want our name back please. Especially if your going to abuse it and put shit like that as a headline, you assholes. :biggrin:

vostok

Veteran
Casual marijuana use linked to brain changes..? Well its true my brain does change shape, as I'm using my brain at the time, I can't really tell you how, but it feels """FINE"""

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I was a lazy unmotivated slacker long before the herb ever hit my lungs.....and I've got the pre-ganja school reports to prove it.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

when the govt wants these studies to look unbiased they turn to the US universities that they continually fund, in this case it was Northwestern University. Northwestern is HUGE and does dozens of of studies yearly for the govt, the universities know that funding would be yanked if they didn't comply AND if they don't come up with the results that the govt wants.

It's no secret how much the govt hates cannabis, so they turn to the U that they're currently exploiting and they propose a study. The university in turn knows damn well the govt IS NOT looking for honest truthful results when dealing with cannabis and so the outcome is predetermined based on an impending threat of revoked funding.

This shit is happening every fucking day.

Do I believe in conspiracies???

Yes I do, and this one's been perpetrated for decades.......

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Well all I can say is that if it causes a loss of IQ then I must be the exception rather then the rule. at the age of 10 my parents had an IQ test done on me, I tested at 134. At age 11 I began smoking marijuana and by 13 I was well past being a casual 4 times a week toker. More like 4 times a day. Also at age 13 I had another IQ test done, I tested at 146. Flash forward to my late 20's and after several more years of heavy smoking I had another IQ test done this time just out of curiosity because of the difference between the first 2 and I tested at 164. Now I'm not saying marijuana was responsible for the increases. It may have been but I'm skeptical. What I am saying though is pretty clearly, at least in my case it didn't lower IQ. What I think was more responsible for the increase is as I aged I began to understand more what the goals of the tests were. Part of it involved how quickly you answered questions. When I was younger I didn't get that aspect as much and tried to focus more on making sure I picked the right answers which meant I spent more time considering the questions. Also a good bit of it involved vocabulary I was not familiar with yet and that also slowed me down as I had to pause to try to figure the meanings of words based on how they were being used. When I was older I understood more that speed was important and I was more well read and so naturally I scored better.

Also if marijuana dumbs people down like they try to imply how do you account for people like Carl Sagan, Steve Jobs, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Francis Ford Coppella, Pablo Picasso, Stephen King and a ton of other very intelligent, very creative, very artistic, very successful, very influential people going all the way back to the great philosophical thinkers of ancient Greece all of whom smoked marijuana?

bobblehead

Veteran
I find that cannabis helps me concentrate in class. Normally I would get distracted or bored... Smoke before class and I can zone in on the instructor. I don't really take notes. Just listen. I get good grades. Probably smoke 4-6x a day... on a normal day. Some days I have more time on my hands. :)

igrowone

Veteran
changes to the brain? indeed, and only marijuana that does that horrible thing?
been known for a long time SSRI antidepressants do permanent changes to the brain chemistry
but if it's patentable it must mean it's good