What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Problems Transitioning to Flower

roasthawg

Lately I've been having problems with my plants paling out, stems purpling up, and generally looking unhealthy about a week after I flip them into flower. Aside from lighting, the only other things I change at flip are I increase watering frequency from once a day to 4x and I spray twice with dynagrow protekt and neem (once at flip and once again at week 3).

I grow in coco and my feeding regimen is flora 6/9 with 2ml/gal calmag and 5ml/gal hygrozyme. EC comes to about 1.2. I use the same regimen in veg and early flower. I'm suspect of the hygrozyme as since I started using it I've been losing a plant or two now and then to what I suspect to be pythium. I'm switching it out and adding sm90 in. But that shouldn't be what's causing the paling in flower as I use it in veg too. Maybe the spray of neem/protekt is messing with them but many people use that combo with fine results... and they look fine a few days after the initial spray at flip. Any ideas of what I could be missing here?

RonSmooth

Veteran
I wouldn't spray plants at all unless I was trying to correct a specific issue and the Hygrozyme seems unnecessary as there shouldnt be any organic matter in the coco that would warrant a need for it.

I would drop everything but your base nutrients and cal-mag. the 4x/day feeding may be a bit much, could be contributing to low oxygen levels and salt buildup. IF the plants do not have a robust root system, too much water/food can be detrimental.

By eliminating variables, you can get a better idea of what is causing the problem.

How far are your lights? What wattage? Temps?

roasthawg

Almost positive it's the foliar... spraying with Neem/Protekt per Dynagrow's instructions. Problems start about five days after first spray and get really bad about five days after second spray. I made the mistake of changing a few things at the same time... this was one of them. Cutting out the neem/protekt.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
here are my thoughts... I would stop foliar spraying, I would only water once per day (what size pots are you using mate? I use 11 ltrs and they dont dry at all - are you feeding so often because they're drying out fast?) and I would bump my EC to more like 1.6-1.8 at flip time.. depends on your strain of course.

I see you've been here a good while and I'm sure you know what you're doing, but I would suggest they will perform better with a slightly higher EC... only slightly mind you ;)

Coconutz

Veteran
remove the calmag and replace the ec with base
if you are already watering a couple times a day then you might need to increase ec altogether
4 times a day might be a little much for early flower unless they were vegged forever or in tiny pots

roasthawg

Thanks for the input guys... much appreciated. I'm gonna cutout the neem/protekt foliar first and see how that treats the ladies. One thing at a time so I can know for sure what's working and what isn't!

Latest posts

Latest posts