What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diatomaceous Earth?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Hey friends was wondering if you can use this stuff on the base of soil? or better off doing around the plant where it wouldn't run off in soil after water. Also got snails in my G.H. but the plants are in Geo Pots, thanks

soil margin

Veteran
It's totally safe to put around the base of the soil. Putting it there and around the base of the pots too is probably the best strategy for prevention.

I've actually heard of some people using DE as a soil conditioner, but don't have any personal experience with that.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Get NAPA 8822 floor dry. It is DE in pellet form. Does not wash away like the powder does.

When it is wet it is tan and when dry it is white. Will help you know how fast your plants are drinking just with a quick glance at you pot.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
thank you friends i have always thought that it is mostly consisted of salt, guess i been watching too much of Always Sunny In Philadelphia

vapor

Veteran
You are looking at a picture of the basic raw material from which our DE products are made. These are the skeletal remains of the diatoms found in the product. The picture was made by a Scanning Electronic Microscope (SEM). The SEM is a truly remarkable instrument which enables us to visually evaluate the quality of the many types of diatomaceous earth (DE) being mined today. There are many species of diatoms each with its own unique physical makeup and shape; ranging from barrel-like forms to flat discs. Before we go any farther let’s find out how DE is scientifically defined:

“”Diatomaceous earth is a mineral product mined from the fossilized silica shell remains of unicellular or colonial algae from the class Bacillariaphyccae, better known as diatoms “

The diatomaceous earth pictured above shows a well preserved, impurity-free DE product. Not all DE’s are of the same quality many variations are found. The wide disparity of quality that exists among various deposits of diatomaceous earth stem primarily from the following causes: the species of diatoms comprising the sample, the age of the deposit, the presence of various impurities and the extent of skeletal deterioration.

With so many grades and types of DE on the market is it possible for you to make an intelligent choice? What steps can you take to ensure that the DE you buy is safe for your animals, safe enough to protect your stored grain, and last but far from least, gives you the most value for your DE dollar? If you take the following steps you will be able to make the right decision.

Step One:

Make sure the DE you use is AMORPHOUS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (ADE). In an article on DE in COMMON SENSE PEST CONTROL QUARTERLY, published by BIRC, Volume III, Number 1, Winter 1987, the matter of safety is explored. We quote:

“Both swimming pool grade and natural diatomaceous earth come from the same fossil sources but they are processed differently. The natural grades are mined, dried, ground, sled and bagged. The pool grade is chemically treated and partially melted and consequently contains crystalline silica which can be a respiratory hazard. Thus, IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT ONLY NATURAL DIATOMACEOUS EARTH BE USED FOR INSECT CONTROL. This noncrystalline silica is not a hazard as the human body apparently can dissolve it. “

“Silicosis refers to lung contamination and irritation by crystalline of free silica (Si02). Crystalline describes the orientation of the Si02 molecules which occur in a fixed pattern in contrast to the non periodic, random molecular arrangement defined as amorphous. Exposure to free silica is an occupational hazard to workers. “

Step Two:

Make sure the DE you use meets World Health Organization (WHO) safety standards. WHO cautions that DE with a crystalline silica content over three percent (3%) is dangerous for ingestion by humans or animals. Our DE has less than 1% free silica. Swimming pool DE ranges from 60% to 70% free silica and should never be used for pest control.

http://www.getipm.com/thebestcontrol/DE/diatomaceous_Earth.htm

I use at 100ml per 20 gal of medium mix it in before I plant, just like lime and no more gnats ever nada

Attachments

• de-new.jpg
    de-new.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Thanks Vapor, It will be pool swimming pool grade since I have a inground pool, my old man says it acts like little shards of glass? I always thought it had a shit tons of salt in it?

vapor

Veteran
“Both swimming pool grade and natural diatomaceous earth come from the same fossil sources but they are processed differently. The natural grades are mined, dried, ground, sled and bagged. The pool grade is chemically treated and partially melted and consequently contains crystalline silica which can be a respiratory hazard. Thus, IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT ONLY NATURAL DIATOMACEOUS EARTH BE USED FOR INSECT CONTROL. This noncrystalline silica is not a hazard as the human body apparently can dissolve it. “

The stuff you do NOT want to use is the chemically treated pool DE{60-70%lung fucker}. It is horrid on your lung. The untreat natural DE{1-3% lung fucker} Which is cheap as fuck, your body will adsorb and no problemos....about 5% sodium

vapor

Veteran
I think at farm supply stores you can get DE that is mixed with clay{bentonite maybe?} which is good for soil too, they mix it with feed i think?. It is cheap and safe to use and works......

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
Hey friends was wondering if you can use this stuff on the base of soil? or better off doing around the plant where it wouldn't run off in soil after water. Also got snails in my G.H. but the plants are in Geo Pots, thanks
I use food grade st gabriels de in geopots as semi top layer dress all around the top its really helped to keep flyers to a min.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Every organic gardening book I've ever read says NOT to use the DE used for swimming pool filters. You can buy the food grade DE at any feed and seed store.

I mix DE in my soil to kill any grubs, and I dust all around my garden to kill the little grasshoppers.... I HATE big green ugly grasshoppers chewing on my stuff...

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
well the store didn't have the Organics St Gabriels, so we got a bag of Safer Brand from Omri. Anyone try that? would it work and be safe? Thanks

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
I know its sold online only at HD that's why I mentioned site 2 store free shipping that way or if you don't mind shipping discount hydro it's 9 something there or was last time I checked.

jalapenospecial

I use food grade DE and throw it all around the base of the plant and even the stalk. I'll leave it on for a few days and then hand water the plants and the next day the plants always look really good and healthy. The plants really like the silica, they just take it right up. I never measured i just throw handfuls of it. You can get 50lbs for cheap and that shit goes a long way.

Latest posts

Latest posts