What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Saving space here for my Silver Skunk BX1 to arrive

60-70 day flower for an awesome pedigree sat will be welcome now that weather is beginning to warm up down south

I run 2 @ 2 x 4 tents

2 ufo 90s (Helios 3w diodes 3500/5000K) = ~ 4200K. These were gifted from a USA LED mfg, not going into production

During flower, I will be adding 2 @ 75w multichip/reflector lights, but might just run them during veg, too

Will put them on each end of tent, probably aimed at ~ 30* angle toward the plants for better below canopy coverage

Link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reflector-Cu...item2c7599098e

Power consumption is ~ 48w. Does that mean output is actual 48w, or just the draw?

432w hot5 tent (using a variety of aquarium bulbs)

This is a High Performance System now in 3-4th generation

It combines 4 liter Air Pots + Hydro Halo Drip Rings (feed cycle ~ 30 sec/45 minutes) into polished ornamental rock (Dollar Store). Nutes drain back into High Performance Rez, where I practice black arts.

Nutes recir 24/7 through 2 powerful magnets positioned in repulse (large nut keeps them attached) onto an Alabaster egg setting in the middle of an ornamental rock bed, then back into rez. Separate pump for feed cycles. Both pumps sitting on individual 4" diameter air stones

Having issues grabbing correct pics

Will try to correct later

View attachment 256288

View attachment 256289 View attachment 256290

View attachment 256291

Last edited:

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
shotgun suckers!

passenger seat for this one :)

well, she puts out the best odor and taste in hydro. but will still be sensitive to higher ppm.

looking forward to this one

med-man

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Enthusiasm welcome

Hydroponic Research V + B is pretty potent.

I peak at 1000-1100 ppm/ 2 EC for one week after bud set, then begin backing down: 800, then down by 100 each week

I think that feeding every ~ 45 minutes precludes higher ppm.

Thoughts

shotgun suckers!

passenger seat for this one :)

well, she puts out the best odor and taste in hydro. but will still be sensitive to higher ppm.

looking forward to this one

med-man

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey pet flora

i would try to stay constant at 1.5 ec from kicking em to flushing. anymore may be detrimental to yield and quality

med-man

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks. I veg seedlings ~ 200. As they grow I increase ~ 400. When I flip I go to 500 (1 EC), then throttle up to ~ 1100 for one week after buds set (but will back down (per your input) then drop by ~ 100 ppms per week

My WH X WW refuses to finish, probably 5-7 more days before I can pop the beans

hey pet flora

i would try to stay constant at 1.5 ec from kicking em to flushing. anymore may be detrimental to yield and quality

med-man

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 2 @ 75w multispectrum cob lights from LEDLightPlant are on hold. Thankfully my partner failed to complete the order info. Turns out the pic of the chip they show is NOT the chip that comes with the lights. I emailed them, but chances are it was intentionally deceptive advertising

Looking for a suitable replacement. If all else fails, I will supplement with my 3000K Cree A19 bulbs

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Surprisingly, I did hear back from LEDPlantLight

They say they have 2 different chips, and sent me a bad link to the correct one

They also sent me a breakdown of the 3w diodes inside each.

Oddly, they have a 75w and 100w chip, neither has good spectrum balance, and neither are operating at 700mA, more like 500-600 WTF?

Heat sinks too small? Dunno

Neither looks like the pictured chip in their lens cob light

They asked for my input which I gave

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just wrote a long post, which disappeared

Been struggling with a weird exterior water leak, which has slowly destroyed my kitchen and surrounding walls over the last ~ 5 years

I 'think' I finally figured out where the leak comes from

Sadly, it is not an insurance issue, so I have $10K+++ in rotten cabinets and walls to deal with

Anyway, I should be able to pop seeds soon, as no repair people will be hired to remove/replace rotten kitchen cabinets and walls

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A grower from a different grow site offers some excellent 411.

I defoliate, but have been doing it wrong. His way is a real head smacker...

I sometimes hesitate to throw defoliation into the mix of challenges for beginning growers and I strongly advise any growers to experiment with defoliation (or with any extreme growth control method) in the vegetative stage only where there is nothing at stake.

That being said, I believe the only reason you should allow a marijuana plant to leaf out completely is in an outdoor situation where you want as large a plant as possible. In that case you can save deleafing for mid to late summer after full-stretch and branching.

The way I practice this method (growing indoors) leaves never get a chance to age. No leaves are allowed more than about two weeks existence. I start at the top in order to remove the shading. Removing lower leaf contributes nothing to the strategy of exposing usually shaded out mid and lower growth to premium light. I still remove older shabby leaves to keep it all tidy

And this is where defoliation gets controversial. Many growers feel that controlling their plant in any way during the vegetative stage will significantly reduce yields. And I understand how it can seem that way, especially to new growers, before you've gone through the entire life cycle of the marijuana plant a few times.

Experiments show, again and again, that large plants with intensively prepared structure during extended Veg cycle yield far more than untrained, smaller, force-flowered inpiduals.

Nebula Haze from GrowWeedEasy.com: I've also found this to be the case.
Small marijuana plants that are forced to flower when extremely young are
can be fun as an experiment, but produce pitiful yields. Investing more time
in the vegetative stage to gain girth, while controlling the shape and growth
of the plant, has dramatically increased yields for me.

The truth is, that with marijuana, the real 'secret sauce' to getting enormous yields is when you've perfectly prepared your plants for the flowering stage. As any grower knows, once you're deep into flowering, there isn't a whole lot you can do about huge, out-of-control plants except hold on, pray for the best, and do better next time.

I DO NOT lollipop and advice strongly against it. I use defoliation to skillfully and artfully prepare plants during the vegetative stage, so that lollipopping becomes completely unnecessary. I am on a mission to refocus growing technique to never remove ANY productive growth. I believe only leaves should be removed.

Ultimately, the defoliation technique is a huge tool in the grower's toolbox that allows you to dominate the Vegetative stage. Then it can be used in the Flowering stage to maximize yields.

Much more to the article with lots of before and after photos, including immediately, then 4 days later, then 4 more days later :yoinks:

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
Thats great advice PetFlora!

I have started removing lower leaves also... but only the ones that come off the main stem.
The ones i remove are typically older than 1-2 weeks. I have been leaving the top 3-4 "stem-leaves" on the plants and bending/breaking them off once new sets have grown above them. You will be able to see this in some of my most recent tester thread photos.

Good luck on your test grow, ill be here for the ride with yah too.
Let us know how your seedlings are doing!

Cheers :)
BeL

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the med-man method actually will give bigger yields and higher quality and less work and or damage to the plants :)

med-man

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I sure hope big things come in small packages

And I am aware of it being said as it relates to mj seeds, that size does not matter, but damn all 13 are really small.

Anyway,

I started soaking 7 seeds

med-man method? Got a link?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just finished reading through the med-man method

Implementing finishing techniques in current grow

I thought about using cold water during last few weeks, but never did it.

Over the last couple weeks I have been feeding with < 300 ppm consisting of CaMg+ minerals, like Himalayan Salt. Feeding one day on & 5 days flush sounds reasonable for a small rez, like I use.

Just put rez into a cooler, and added a 1/2g jug of frozen water

Let the final steps begin.

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey pet flora

the cold water is the last 3-5 days in pitch dark, i would say a negative impact on yield and effect / look if you did it the whole flushing period. prove me wrong if you feel like it :)?

med-man

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Due to heat here, my rez is running 76-80*. I added a jug of frozen water, after an hour, it is still above 70*

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts