What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Motherlode Gardens 2014

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Hey everyone it's my favorite time of the year again here in California: outdoor weed growing season! This is my newest project:

Motherlode Gardens is a 7 acre medical cannabis farm in the western foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, just a few miles from Yosemite Valley. We believe cannabis is a sacred gift from Earth, our goal is to grow each plant to it's full circumstantial potential.

http://instagram.com/motherlodegardens

Planned for this year:

-an early season light-dep garden of 250 clones. In coco, 10gal smartpots, handwatered daily with House&Garden Coco nutrients.

-a full season garden of 50 plants, mostly seeds and a few clones. In soil, 200gal smartpots.

-a late season garden, 250 clones, reusing pots and coco from the light-dep.

last year:
s2pNgbI.jpg

Cherry Pie:
tcV6bWZ.jpg

Pure Kush x Northern Lights
jQcaA5T.jpg

PK x NL grown outdoors in soil (left) and coco (right)
YE3IgIq.jpg

Qz7Qbdf.jpg

Last edited:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Strains this year include

clones
-GORILLA GLUE #4 (i'm stoked to grow her finally)
-Hardcore OG Kush
-Woody OG Kush
-Tahoe OG Kush
-Paris OG Kush
-Girl Scout Cookies (forum cut)
-Cherry Pie

seeds:
-(BOG) Sweet&Sour Cindy (testers he gave us at the cannabis cup)
-(BOG) Sour Bubble
-(DJ Short) Vanilluna
-(??) Royal Truth OG

...and these:
XzwZlqn.jpg

Sleeper7784

Subbing up for this one Shcrews. I've been following you for a while and you've always got some of the cleanest Cali set ups I've seen in a while. I've got mad respect for your style. I've been running straight coir in 20 gallon pots for the past 4 years with an exception of last year I tried a little soil, but I have always had great results and mega yields (2-4lb per plant). But let me say you bust you ass hand watering, especially down below you in the Valley floor. You know what we go through with weeks of 100+ degree summers. I usually water 2x a day but sometimes once the heatwave hits have to water with 10 gals 3-4 times a day per plant. Or really as many times as I need to. The plants show you real quick when they're thirsty.

So any how man, show us how you rock that clean air medical cannabis. Good luck on your season brother!

What kind of summer time and end of season temps do you guys deal with at that elevation? And what were your greatest challenges?

Investing in some upper foothills or sierra property, is one of my biggest set goals.
Your a lucky man to have the opportunity

Sleeper7784

Strains this year include

clones
-GORILLA GLUE #4 (i'm stoked to grow her finally)
-Hardcore OG Kush
-Woody OG Kush
-Tahoe OG Kushu
-Paris OG Kush
-Girl Scout Cookies (forum cut)
-Cherry Pie

seeds:
-(BOG) Sweet&Sour Cindy (testers he gave us at the cannabis cup)
-(BOG) Sour Bubble
-(DJ Short) Vanilluna
-(??) Royal Truth OG

...and these

And your line-up looks A+ juicy as fuck.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
My business partner and gardening assistant, Mr. Drue Bleam, will be stopping in on this thread as well...

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Subbing up for this one Shcrews. I've been following you for a while and you've always got some of the cleanest Cali set ups I've seen in a while. I've got mad respect for your style. I've been running straight coir in 20 gallon pots for the past 4 years with an exception of last year I tried a little soil, but I have always had great results and mega yields (2-4lb per plant). But let me say you bust you ass hand watering, especially down below you in the Valley floor. You know what we go through with weeks of 100+ degree summers. I usually water 2x a day but sometimes once the heatwave hits have to water with 10 gals 3-4 times a day per plant. Or really as many times as I need to. The plants show you real quick when they're thirsty.

So any how man, show us how you rock that clean air medical cannabis. Good luck on your season brother!

What kind of summer time and end of season temps do you guys deal with at that elevation? And what were your greatest challenges?

Investing in some upper foothills or sierra property, is one of my biggest set goals.
Your a lucky man to have the opportunity

thanks so much for the praise! I am just a young up-and-comer, i dont know shit 'cept for what i picked up here on ICmag in the past 5 yrs or so. It's ppl like Tom Hill and Ganja D, Heath Robinson and Moonshine, those pioneers who inspire me daily with their work.

To answer your questions, average temperature here is about 85 degrees in the spring and fall. Summer gets to be 100 degrees regularly but nights are mild. Very low humidity, which is a nice change from growing in Santa Cruz where everything turns to mold in october. In my opinion this is an optimal climate for growing cannabis outdoors. We could even run late-finishing sativa strains if we had any... The Yosemite area is very beautiful, I highly recommend getting a place here if you dont mind living in a rural area. I think my entire county has 18,000 people.

You said you are using 20gal pots of coco for full-season outdoors? when do you put your plants outside? I cant imagine the amount of water they require by the end of the summer. We have 200gal smarties with soil for our big plants. The smaller coco pots will only be outside for 9 weeks so watering will not get too crazy.

Last edited:

Drue Bleam

This year should go better than last, looking forward to it. Special thanks goes out to MR. & MRS. B.O.G. for taking time at the Cannabis Cup to talk. Really excited to see how Sour Bubble turns out. A few of the Sweet & Sour Cindy testers will be going out as well. I'll try and give the best descriptions I can of them as they progress. We are going to run a bunch of clones for the most part, but also choose seeds out of each of the packs to grow out as well. Schrews posted a list, but there is a couple bag seed found in some Vegan OG we might pop in addition. Stoked to have these beautiful genetics, going to try and maybe do some breeding projects of our own.:woohoo:

Sleeper7784

thanks so much for the praise! I am just a young up-and-comer, i dont know shit 'cept for what i picked up here on ICmag in the past 5 yrs or so. It's ppl like Tom Hill and Ganja D, Heath Robinson and Moonshine, those pioneers who inspire me daily with their work.

To answer your questions, average temperature here is about 85 degrees in the spring and fall. Summer gets to be 100 degrees regularly but nights are mild. Very low humidity, which is a nice change from growing in Santa Cruz where everything turns to mold in october. In my opinion this is an optimal climate for growing cannabis outdoors. We could even run late-finishing sativa strains if we had any... The Yosemite area is very beautiful, I highly recommend getting a place here if you dont mind living in a rural area. I think my entire county has 18,000 people.

You said you are using 20gal pots of coco for full-season outdoors? when do you put your plants outside? I cant imagine the amount of water they require by the end of the summer. We have 200gal smarties with soil for our big plants. The smaller coco pots will only be outside for 9 weeks so watering will not get too crazy.

Yes 20 gallies. Full season... I'll be getting them out in mid-late March. Mind you this is just what I do with my small back yard project. At the beginning, until about mid June I water each pot twice a day. Then it progresses as needed. In summer when the temps are up, I could sometimes be out there up to 6-7 times a day watering. I have to consistently be check But once we get thru August into Sept., It slows back down to 3-4 times.

There are times I just feed in the morning and at night, and in mid day just use straight water to keep them hydrated.

I would never attempt straight coco with more than 6 plants. You could never keep up.

I'd like to set up a underground rez and Drip to waste them but life hasn't giving me a break long enough to dig a big enough hole.

I won't be running a thread covering my grow this year but I will keep you updated on this season's run. This year I going to use fabric pots opposed to my gro pro nurseries and I'm running my Pcg Gsc.

Here's a couple shots of the first time I ran coco outdoor. I was sold.
One is Rez's DSD 6' round 5 1/2' tall.

The other is purple urkle. It had baseball bat colas.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
beautiful garden, looks perfect. Coco is very underrated for outdoor use, as you can see in my first post the buds we grew in coco last year were much brighter green than the same strain grown in soil.

funny you mention digging holes for reservoirs, Drue Bleam and myself were just discussing the possibility of burying a few reservoirs and putting 4x4 trays over them, then put a 200gal smartie full of coco in each tray, and grow some monster outdoor coco flood/drain trees.... It will probably happen so stay tuned...

oh yah, we ran GSC outside last year and it came out very nice but did not yield nearly as much as some of the other strains, just a heads up.

Sleeper7784

This year should go better than last, looking forward to it. Special thanks goes out to MR. & MRS. B.O.G. for taking time at the Cannabis Cup to talk. Really excited to see how Sour Bubble turns out. A few of the Sweet & Sour Cindy testers will be going out as well. I'll try and give the best descriptions I can of them as they progress. We are going to run a bunch of clones for the most part, but also choose seeds out of each of the packs to grow out as well. Schrews posted a list, but there is a couple bag seed found in some Vegan OG we might pop in addition. Stoked to have these beautiful genetics, going to try and maybe do some breeding projects of our own.:woohoo:

Shcrews convinced you to join in on the mag maddness ehhh!?!?

Greetings brother. Always nice to see a new face. You guys are doing really well congrats on your success. Positive vibes flying to you and yours Drue Bleam.

Drue Bleam

Shcrews convinced you to join in on the mag maddness ehhh!?!?

Greetings brother. Always nice to see a new face. You guys are doing really well congrats on your success. Positive vibes flying to you and yours Drue Bleam.

Much love, truly stoked to be a part of all this. Not my first grow by any means, but I'm still learning everyday. Schrews has done his homework, time for me to start doing some myself. It's good doing good things with good people. By the way, the watering isn't bad even when it takes a few hours. It's too beautiful up here and such simple work, it's almost meditative.:plant grow:

Sleeper7784

beautiful garden, looks perfect. Coco is very underrated for outdoor use, as you can see in my first post the buds we grew in coco last year were much brighter green than the same strain grown in soil.

funny you mention digging holes for reservoirs, Drue Bleam and myself were just discussing the possibility of burying a few reservoirs and putting 4x4 trays over them, then put a 200gal smartie full of coco in each tray, and grow some monster outdoor coco flood/drain trees.... It will probably happen so stay tuned...

oh yah, we ran GSC outside last year and it came out very nice but did not yield nearly as much as some of the other strains, just a heads up.

Thank you bro, but that was even some rookie shit. I had no clue what I was doing, just took my indoor style thru it outside and it worked, really well lol. That's how the best things are discovered, on accident. Plus a lot of luck, and a little skill/commitment. Lol

If you bury reservoirs, I think It'd be best if you do it in a mostly shady spot down hill from the trays. Then run irrigation line up to flood trays and let gravity take the drain back down to the rez. If you just bury it under the tray in the blazing sun you could end up with to warm of water. Remember you don't want 75+ degree water.

Good to hear you were somewhat pleased with your outdoor Gsc. I was wondering how she really does. I am not expecting more than a lb-lb 1/2 per plant considering I can't get much better than a little over 1/2 gpw indoors w/o co2

theJointedOne

Veteran
The royal truth og is from Emerald Mountain collective seeds,

should be some good stuff in there, cant find their seeds much anymore

SativaBreather

Veteran
love these big outdoor grows man, you guys are unbelievably lucky to have the laws and the climate on your side

uk is a ballache, outdoor can be done but climate is the limiting factor even if you got a great spot

Drue Bleam

The royal truth og is from Emerald Mountain collective seeds,

should be some good stuff in there, cant find their seeds much anymore

Not sure if he meant the Vegan OG seeds we got from my buddy... I didn't grab them in person, he got the low down on what the cut might be... maybe that's what he meant.