What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Problem getting in the Chat

Claude

Veteran
Hi tech,

Could someone help me find the error on my computer that is making me impossible to get in the chat anymore.

I have flush the cache, repair registry, delete all temp files, uninstall adobe flash clean registry from it and reinstall.

What else should I try without reinstalling windows?

Respect
Claude

Claude

Veteran
Hi guys,

Thanks for droping in!

I have explorer and chrome and both do not work.

I'm getting nothing with chrome and Explorer a green screen after accepting the entry.

Respect
Claude

PS: it happened after a crash.

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Hi there Claude!
Babba posted these directions in another post, hopefully it will help you…

Originally posted by Babbabud "with firefox you need to click on chat .. then click on "main chat room" .. then go to upper left hand corner of your screen where the lock on your URL bar is ... click next to the lock... then click the arrow next to the drop down where it says "disable protection on this page" then click up by the url again and choose "block plugin" then "refresh" then choose "allow and remember" ..,.wait a few moments ... welcome to chat”

Good luck and enjoy chat!! :)

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Dagnabbit!!
Sorry if I missed you mentioning having tried that; it’s often the solution…
Hopefully a more knowledgeable, tech-savy chatter will see this thread and stop to help.
Unfortunately, the only other suggestions I can think to offer, are to PM another chat mod, and/or try another browser and/or update Java.

Wish I could be more helpful. :shucks:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I believe the little shield is on the right hand side of the url bar with Chrome .. although i dont run it .. you can disable flash on the right hand side of the url bar by the shield i believe.

T

TrichyTrichy

Hi Claude: This is an alternate way you can enter chat without too much hassle.

Chrome
1. right click on page trying to open chat
2. click on inspect element
3. scroll down until you find a URL with your username.
4. click and it will redirect you to chat

Claude

Veteran
Yes Natty and thanks a million Trichy.

Now can you tell me what's was the problem?

Respect
Claude

T

TrichyTrichy

Hey Claude , have you been able to get in since yesterday? I will try to think of something else to try.
Sorry that stopped working. :(

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
Ok for Chrome this is what you want to do:

Go to the Chrome Shortcut on your desktop and right click it.

Go to Properties

In the Target area is a command line that tells the short cut to go to chrome.exe. At the end of this command line you need to copy and past this line: --allow-running-insecure-content; after the " mark. Make sure to leave one space between the " and the --.

Now hit apply.

Run chrome from this shortcut. Come to Icmag.com and click on the main chatroom link. It should load without having to click any shields or anything.

For any other shortcut for chrome, repeat the process. If you use a different shortcut to start Chrome, this trick will not work.

Hope this helps!

Skip

Veteran
Calcio, nice workaround!

However be aware that if you go to other websites, that could cause security issues.

You should use that one instance of chrome only for icmag.

You could setup a new icon for icmag on your desktop that loads Chrome with that parameter Calcio told you to add to the command line. Just don't use it to browse elsewhere.

Remember our chat is protected by a more secure system (HMAC) than https (which the NSA/DEA/CIA have all cracked).

The browsers are the problem because they're not recognizing that the mixed security on the page is better than with just https (ssl).

Claude

Veteran
Hi,

I take Trichy method but I do not like it.

I think I will have to mount my system from the start.

Respect
Claude

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
You have to click the shield thingy in chrome... nvm its not working for me either. Ok so you are going to right click on the chat box and click inspect element. This opens a window with code and clickable links. There is a link in the code that has your username in it(IT SHOULD BE VISIBLE AS SOON AS YOU INSPECT ELEMENT AND THE WINDOW OPENS UP). Click it and it will open the chat client in a new tab(or window) and it should work.

saluki

ICMag Donor
Thanks Calcio, all of a sudden today it stopped working for me. Had to use your work around to get into chat. WTF ?

Skip

Veteran
It's an issue with some browsers now cause they won't display mixed content automatically without your consent (good security measure). However the issue with chat is that it uses HMAC authentication, which doesn't use SSL at all (no worry about heartbleed there). The page that displays the chatroom does use SSL, so the browser is confused, doesn't recognize the HMAC so it thinks the chat is less secure, when in reality it's MORE secure than SSL, and this was just proven by the Heartbleed bug.

Latest posts

Latest posts