What's new

Unknown sativa strain. probably Nigerian.

L

Libeccio

Hello fellow growers :)
Any idea would be appreciated to try to know a little more about these plants i am growing.
The seeds were i a bag i got about 4 or 5 years ago from some nigerian guys i used to hang out with at that time. They told me it was nigerian herb.
Anyways, i smoked it and it was nice and mellow. Nice ctrusy subtle aroma. I was growing outdoors at that time; the seeds i was using were only bagseeds or some occasional friends' gift. i didn't know much about strains nor read forums online. I got one female of this "nigerian" plant. it was definetely sativa, with some intersex tendencies, some staminate flowers which i tried to remove as the final stages of flowering went on. the herb i got was nice and also with some seeds in (i'm not sure if from males or those bananas...). i kept the seeds and stored them in the fridge, ya never know... :)
now, some years later, i got experienced in indoor growing and about 3 months ago i was about to turn my garden perpetual and planning to select some bonsai mother plants. so, along with some mr nice's shit, i planted these unknown nigerian sativas i only remembered they smoked nice and mellow. :)
they germinated massively! i kept about a dozen seedlings, and from them sexed 5 females (others were males and 3 intersex plants). still some intersex tendencies, but interesting plants, very sativa-ish traits such as leaves. they all got structured with a single main cola and very little branching. buds are super fluffly, no density at all (except for 2 which i'll probably keep, and run again). some purple/red coloring towards the end. now, 2 of these are still finishing flowering, 2 are drying, one, the fastest (finished in 6-7 weeks) have already been in a jar for 8 days. i still can't judge the overall value of the end product, but the first impact is quite nice, citrusy with a mellow and relaxing sativa high. plus in indoor they got a nice berry smell and aroma.
so, now with some pictures. as i said i would like to know something more about this strain (i'm planning to chuck some shit pollen on my favorite female - i kept clones of 3/5). is it really nigerian? oh yes i forgot: i nicknamed her "Fela" after my favorite nigerian musician, Fela Anikulapo Kuti. :)

seedlings

purple stems and petioles

a little older

just started flowering (all are in 2,7 L pots - flowering under 250 W hps)

L

Libeccio

i bent her a little bit towards the end of veg... she got to 12/12 later. with some bending and/or topping i think i can get a better structure...

L

Libeccio

looks great. give us a smoke report after some cure time. :)

hey thanks a lot for your comment idiit. :) i will give you a smoke report, and i hope someone will help feed my curiosity about this. ;) ciao! :tiphat:

L

Libeccio

Looks nice,even if it's a bit "skunkyfied".

it's probably what the guy told you,a commercial version of nigerian.The nigerian from afropips did look quite similar;

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=148163

hey pepe thanks a lot for your comment and for the hints! the thing is: this strain is absolutely not a commercial one. :) very fluffy buds, a lot of mutations, bananas, low yeld. but the smoke is nice and mellow... a old times smoke... resemble the weed i use to smoke in the 90's when i started. to me is very nice to have a break from the strong smokes i have and love. :) i think these nigerian guys just brought some weed from home grown outdoors and were selling it (it had a lot of seeds in). also i am not sure about the "skunkified"... i am growing these along with some mr nice shit (which is sk#1 afgan dominant). structure both of plants and calixes, buds formation, odour (very little in flowering... mint, pine, citrus and berry). thanks a lot for that thread! i must say the thinner leafed plants look a little like mine (expecially leaves...). ciao! :)

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well,

by commercial i mean for export,generally the local sativa with a hint of indica in it...IMHO there's no way nigerian could look so indicaish,it's too close to the equator to not be a tropical sativa when pure...just look for Titoon nigerian and you will see what i mean by yourself!

This is titoon29 nigerian,full credits to him...do you see the differences with your line?
picture.php

Im sure there are more then one cultivar in nigeria, it would be very naive to assume only one variaty of ganja grows there.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im sure there are more then one cultivar in nigeria, it would be very naive to assume only one variaty of ganja grows there.

I did not say so...but i do think there is a difference between a landrace and a cultivar...and also rarely you see the landrace for export nowadays...only the cultivar ;)

L

Libeccio

Hey Pepe,
Sorry i misunderstood what you were saying :).
I thought with "commercial" you meant a "cash-crop" variety, which is not the case! :)
For the rest, i agree with you: i saw that pic in that nice spanish thread, and i am well aware of the differencies. It is clear my "Felas" have some indica traits, for instance they take about 8 weeks to flower, surely a pure equatorial sativa would take a lot more. :)
I just don't think the indica heritage comes from a skunk line. :)
However, i didn't want to debate about cultivar/landrace... Just see if someone had already met this strain. ;)
To me it looks as a quite wild plant, i mean not the result of a breeding work. I say so for the low effectivness of these plants (almost no branching, low yeld).
Anyways thanks pepe (and the others) for you contributions. :good:

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No problem Libeccio,

I should not have used the term "skunkyfied",it was not really clear,but just as you said i mean there is some kind of indica in it...Whatever,your plants looks very nice and surely they have a great potential,and as long as you enjoy growing/smoking them it's the only thing that matters!:yes:

best vibes! :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts