What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Search for Trip Weed

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

When I started smoking weed, approximately 45 years ago, it seemed like a time or two ever year my friends and I would come across something that was extraordinarily powerful and trippy. Back then, I smoked every chance I got. Some weed was very good, some O.K., and a lot was pretty bad. I think I smoked and tried a lot of varieties from different sources mostly to find those trippy strains and have those occasional mystical experiences that come from discovering those varietal gems. The best examples of what I am talking about are:

Jamaican Ganja
Thai Sticks
Sumatran
Neville's Haze (acid pheno) - A good example of a more recent discovery.

Some other examples that were also pretty good were:

Higher quality Colombian
The occasional Californian homegrown in the late 70s
Higher quality Mexican

I have been growing for about 35 of those 45 years that I have been smoking. The sad truth is, I have only grown 5 - 7 or so plants successfully that I considered world class. I am really picky, and perhaps not the best grower. I may have grown 10 - 15 that were really good. Lately, I have grown some good stuff, but it has been almost 10 years since I have had anything that I consider world class. I believe the popularity of Indica and Sativa Indica crosses have made the extremely potent and trippy strains harder and harder to find. This thread is dedicated to my search for some world class trippy weed.

Lately I have been trying some strains from ACE Seeds, since there are a lot of Southeast Asian offerings and many strains are crossed to a Thai plant. So far, I really like the high of Bangi Haze. If it was more potent, I could call it world class, but it is not quite there yet. I'm keeping it to bring down flowering time of anything world class that I find. Bangi Haze is that good. Currently, I've just harvested Zamaldelica. I have not sampled it yet. I started a thread called "Zamaldelica - The Search for Trip Weed", and I'm relieved to see that there seems to be an interest in this type of weed. I'm relieved because I assumed that most of the tokers that like that old fashioned weed had disappeared. So many argue that weed has gotten stronger, which is exactly contrary to what I have experienced. I think that trippy energetic weed is way stronger than the couch-lock weed I often now experience. It is almost as if the part that makes you feel tired is being counted towards potency by the newer generations of Cannabis aficionados. I consider couch-lock to be a dirty side effect, best bred out of the strain, much like the paranoia effects should be bred out from the opposite side of the spectrum of highs.

I have recently acquired some good strain prospects that are not ACE offerings, and I'm hoping that there is as much interest in trip weed outside of the specific seed company threads. I don't intend for this thread to be Sativa strains only, as long as the strains are trippy, energetic, and hopefully clean and clear. I'm willing to tolerate paranoia, since it has often goes hand-in-hand with extreme potency. I usually build up a tolerance to paranoia without building up a tolerance for the potency of the high. The Bangi Haze is as Indica looking as a strain can be, but the effect is as up and energetic as a strain can be. It is really happy weed like good Mexican. In a word, Irie! I have also had an Indica that was very trippy in a flashy way. It lasted about 10 minutes of the trippy part, then was plain old Indica high for the rest of the hour. If that 10 minutes lasted 4 hours, I would have called it world class.

One of the strains I have on deck is Nanan-Bouclou, which is Papua New Guinea Gold x Haitian. I heard rumors that New York City "Piff" or "Church Haze" might be Hatian. So far I'm a little concerned as it looks like an Indica x Sativa cross, but I'm going to stick with it because you never know for sure until you smoke it.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I collected a bunch of descriptions of Zamal and Zamal derived strains like Zamaldelica and others to start my "Zamaldelica - The Search for Trip Weed" thread. I'm posting them here because they encapsulate the spirit of the type of high that I am looking for, and I'd like to share what I'm really going for here:

Dubi - "I remember walking with a friend in the city, totally disoriented. We were walking in streets we know since we are children but we almost coudnt recognize them. It looked like a different place or city for us. We neither knew what we were doing or going, walking without direction around the old streets of my city."

British Hempire – "wow, what a smoke, very very potent, all in the head, a clear, electric, euphoric racing high, I'm a very experienced, hardcore smoker, I smoke all day every day yet this stuff had me higher that I think I've ever been before and positively messed up my friends who tried some. I took a walk to my friends house, a place I have been many many times and couldn't find it, walked up and down the street looking for the house, then had to ring him on my mobile phone as I got really confused, just awesome stuff. I have been in a satate ot total euphoria on this stuff, makes you talk a lot about mad ideas, sing silly little songs to yourself and wander about looking very baked but grinning insanely, just as close to herbal acid as I've ever experienced, straight to the number one slot on my list of best smokes."

Terpene - "...all I can say is HOLY S***. If you are looking for the terror ridden, thai clarity..." "First two hours were INTENSE, scary to the point anyone who wasn't a seasoned smoker would not want to be high anymore..." "...you see at 2 frames per second and there are a lot of "whoa, how long have I been here...... wait, did that just happen?" moments."

Xinox - "...first time i try it, i just look at the street through the window and i literally bug on it..." "you have some kind of slight stroboscopic effect. Then you feel some waves in your body, like you are carry in a wave. We also try this weed at 5 on my vaporizer and the conclusion of the assembly was clear that this weed is heavy shit..." "The high is strong but also very clear, it's indeed very psychedelic and long lasting. This pheno is almost hallucinatory, with some very visuel kind of effects. I'm quiet sure that this weed could easily paralyze a beiginner."

Dubi - "Zamal has a unique kind of high, it's crazy, psychedelic and out of control, especially i have found extremely powerful and crazy plants crossing zamal with other sats and sat/ind hybrids. It has huge breeding potential to get incredible sativa experiences in the hybrids..." "...with a terrorific electric high. It can produce serious paranoia and anxiety when correctly grown..." "...some phenos produced some of the most powerful sativa high i've ever smoked. A mix between anphetamine and LSD." "It was an overpowering accelerated, psychedelic, disorienting crazy high." "Zamal lemon produced one of the closest experience to LSD i've had smoking cannabis."

VanVulpen – "...added a totally new dimension to the musical experience, and gave me the true meaning of "rollercoaster weed""

DeadM -"...another one was terrorific..many friend after one can't smoke anymore of it ..they were unable to speak and move..."

Chamba – "...it was very intelligent and trippy in a way that I often felt like (if I smoked enough of it) of watching myself from above which gave a new perspective of things..at the same time it took ages to put my shoes on!"

BongHitter99 - "…walking back to my room and WHAM! I’m fucking high now!....electric fiery energy courses through my body…heat felt in chest and face…my hearts pounding hard now, I know im in for a ride....feeling extreme euphoria, almost like I want to love the whole world…this is some serious love weed for sure!...very UPBEAT! And motivating …..clear, no couchlock or heavy body load, ….this shit is great for club hopping, partying, socializing….this high just takes your breath away in awe..."

Unknown Guest - "No doubt the very best weed I smoked in my life was Zamal. It only happened to me a couple of times to find some stash that reminded of zamal's quality in holland. The best weed is the one that was not touched nor fertilized by man during its whole life. When they hear about our HPSs and fertilizers stuff, they laugh a lot."

Laugan Gaucher - I love Haze! I don't like most of powered zamal/haze hybrids. psychotic and hallucinogenic. Like Lsd or psilocybine you can have good time and bad time at the same time."

Mosca Negra - "Gerrit's Zamal is some SUPER FINE SMOKE!!!"

Any good thread has lots of pictures, IMHO, so here are a couple from my first Zamaldelica:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Happy Hunting,

ThaiBliss

:biggrin:

S

snowday

I'm in full agreement that the degree of couchlock is not the best proxy for overall potency, but it's just one of many measures when evaluating the overall potency of a strain (especially indicas). Sometimes one wants to take a hit of meds and fall asleep; there's value in that but there's so much more to good weed IMHO.

I share your preference for sativa-leaning characteristics, and prefer a soaring, inspiring high that amplifies, rather than dulls, the sensory and cerebral. I'm also searching for that perfect sativa that delivers the psychedelic, creative, high you describe here and your other thread (which I enjoyed reading) but want to select one that has minimal racy anxiety/paranoia, which as you state may be a function of sativa potency that can't be decoupled from the beneficial attributes (creativity, psychedelic effect, lack of ceiling, etc) of a good sativa.

I'm trying to breed a relaxing hybrid (Sour Boggle x Killer Queen Redux) that won't give you a case of the stupids to cross with the kind of sativa you're describing.

Is it possible to breed out the anxiety and paranoia from a super-potent sativa, or will that always be a function of high THC unchecked by CBD and other cannabinoids?

Hope you find the pheno you're after between Bangi Haze and Zameldica - perhaps crossing them will give you a range of phenos that has a winner within.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi Snowday,

Thanks for stopping by and posting.

...Sometimes one wants to take a hit of meds and fall asleep...

I actually like Indicas for what you are describing, and even just for a change of pace. Pure Indicas are getting hard to find also. Indica x Sativas with an typical Indica dominant high are a dime a dozen around these parts. So that is why I'm interested in this search.

I'm trying to breed a relaxing hybrid (Sour Boggle x Killer Queen Redux) that won't give you a case of the stupids to cross with the kind of sativa you're describing.

I was actually posting about a strain that sounds like what you are looking for. I acquired a Early Girl strain that made me feel very relaxed physically, yet my mind was soaring with happy bliss. I tried to grow the seeds from it, but didn't find any with the same effect. It was an Indica crossed with a Mexican if my memory serves me.

Is it possible to breed out the anxiety and paranoia from a super-potent sativa, or will that always be a function of high THC unchecked by CBD and other cannabinoids?
Good question. I didn't used to think so. I'm not so sure I could do it. The Neville's Haze pheno I listed above was pure Thai intense effect, with psychedelic phase shifts. It also had no paranoia, and was extremely euphoric, blissfully so. That was the best weed I ever smoked, and it was so because of no paranoia, and such a Mexican like happy high. I had that weed in mind when I decided on my name, "ThaiBliss".

Hope you find the pheno you're after between Bangi Haze and Zameldica - perhaps crossing them will give you a range of phenos that has a winner within.

Thank you so much,

ThaiBliss

sugarman

I think that cannabis cannot be paranoid by itself, but some strains can be quite racy for sure. Paranoia comes when people cannot handle the wave of incoming thoughts and focus on positive thinking and their mind reacts by making numerous bad scenarios. This usually happens when person is stressed out and carries too much "on his mind", i.e. when someone is not feeling very well and cannot clear his head.
You can avoid this by carrying about your mental health and keeping your head clear, but if you are going through hard times, you can always learn to control your thoughts and direct them in positive direction. This way paranoia can be beaten, but its a skill that requires a lot of practicing.
Sometimes same weed makes you paranoid and sometimes not, and some people cannot handle even "the weakest" weed cause it makes them paranoid and messed up. How you feel has major influence on your perception of the world surrounding you and also on your smoking experience.
Paranoia happens commonly with "sativa" strains cause this type of cannabis affects you in more cerebral way and stimulates your thoughts.

On the other hand,I think "couchlock" cannot be bad side effect if it gives you a narcotic feeling and relaxes your whole body, but if its tied to tiredness and exhaustion and you cannot wake up normally next day - than it is bad for sure.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
O.K.,

Here is a sampling of some of the strains that I am planning on growing in the next year or two:

Nanan-Bouclou (Papua New Guinea Gold x Haitian)
Zamaldelica x Malawi Gold
Destroyer x Fire Fox Tail
Jamaican Ganja (60's Lambsbread)
Oaxacan
Gypsy Nirvana Thai Stick x (Mullumbimby Madness x Neville's Haze)
Panama (Green Pheno)
Cambodian
Colombian Punto Rojo

Just to prove that I'm willing to overcome my fear of Indica looking phenotypes, one of the ones on deck next is Nanan-Bouclou. It looks very Indica-like. However it does have leaves with 11 leaflets so far, and it is not yet mature enough for flowering. Many Sativas have high leaflet counts, and many Indicas have low leaflet counts. It also does not smell acrid at all. I believe the fat leaves come from the Haitian side. I'm hoping that the Haitian side is the source for the "NYC Piff", or "Church Haze". Here are some pictures:

picture.php

picture.php

A funny start for someone searching for extreme Sativa-like trippy power.
:laughing:

I have a couple of others on deck for the same flowering cycle. More on that later.

ThaiBliss

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ThaiBliss, I applaud your dedication to this pursuit! Not many folks our age want to be "tripping balls", lol! :biglaugh:

The 1st time I ever got high was on some brick mexican. About the 3rd time I had tried getting high, but this day my BF and I both got crazy, cartoonland high. Been chasing it ever since!

Not really. After we smoked up the rest of the Z the next day trying to relive "the Trip", (ending up w/ headaches) I eventually realized my "receptors" were now tainted.

Sure, I do love an exhilarating sativa high, and I have experienced fleeting psychedelic traces, what I refer to as 'syntax slip', many times while under their power. It's always a gift to me, but now I don't try and chase it, just let it be.
I haven't smoked Zamal in any form, but I'm sure you're on the right trail. I'll be following along, my fellow canna-naut, soar on!

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
hello ThaiBliss,

I think I'd place Corinto over Punto Rojo in terms of 'trippiness', it is the most trippy Colombian herb I ever tried; I tried a lot too, considering I used to live 3 hour drive from the boarder. most of the herb that made its way into the placed that I lived was mediocre, but every now and then, a brave soul would venture into Colombia, and buy at least a brick of the best shit he could find; and that Corinto brick was for sure some of the best for sure, better than any of the newer Colombia "Cripi" for sure.

also, check out Tribal Visions by Afropips, I hear it is very psychedelic.

let us know about that Ace Zamadelica please.

btw, sativas can be as narcotic as indicas, and indicas as trippy as sativas, it all depends on the specific profile of a given cultivar.

good luck in your search!

peace

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
i can relate to this thread, although i'm not searching anymore myself...

zamal x nevils haze for me was the end of the quest for trippy weed :) i would compare the psychedelic properties of zamal x nevils haze to a low dose of lsd (and it is the only strain where i feel such a comparison is warantied) it has an effect on the visual perception unlike any other cannabis, everything comes to life and starts to glow, color changing in the peripheral vision too, opening of the third eye and even the possibility to white out if overdone.

i don't need anything more psychedelic in cannabis than zamal x nevils haze, especially since it is in no way dysphoric (like some other strong sativas), it has a slight "cold" feeling at times but that is nothing in comparison to what other strains can do to you.

the zamal x skunk special had more of a "warm" (euphoric) feeling to it. it also affected the visual perception in a way that i have not experienced in any other strain. things were less alive, but everything was slightly pink - the whole field of vision, and not once or twice but everytime i would smoke her. very special weed too!

sadly the keepers of both zamal x nevils and zamal x skunk inherited the autoflowering from their mother, so we could only do a few runs with them - luckily i made some seeds before losing them. some day i hope to be able to make some f2s and search through a large number to find one like it without the autoflower problem...

but it's no priority for me, the reina madre is a very good substitution, it's not exactly as psychedelic as the zamal x nevils, but a fantastic pure sativa plant with zamal influence and can be kept without problems (also is very fast, yields good, nice aroma, resistant against pests).

my prefered high is an uplifting, euphoric, sativa high with only the right amount of psychedelia - best example for this is the titans haze for me :)

good vibes

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Thank you Bombadil.360 and Sideshow-Bob for your posts. This is exactly what I was hoping for by starting this thread. I'd love to see you post pictures of your suggestions also. This is not intended to be a thread about me peacocking my grows, not entirely anyway. This thread is to acquire suggestions, or share stories and pictures of experiences.

Not everyone even believes that Cannabis can be more hallucinogenic than narcotic. I don't necessarily mean that it makes you see things, more that it helps to see the world with empathy, love, and experience sensory perceptions with a minimal amount of judgment and constructions of the mind to force a categorization of inputs. Sometimes, humans need to just enjoy the sensory input that we are being bombarded with. Stop and smell the roses if you will. When doing this, I do often see things that I don't usually notice.

Believe me, I would grab Corinto or Zamal x Neville's Haze if I had access. I have Punto Rojo listed because I have a few seeds in my possession. I do want to get through some good prospects that I already have. One of my favorite threads is Red Riders where he grows Colombian strains in Colombia. His end results of his expert growing and curing look exactly like what I remember getting when I was young. Corinto was one of the ones I remember in his posts. I'll have to go back and research.

I can't wait to share what I find out about my first hot prospect, Zamaldelica. I want it properly dried and at least a bit of a cure on it.

Thanks again for your contributions,

ThaiBliss

jayjayfrank

Veteran
my money is on zamaldelica being your ticket, she really is lovely.

i think were are focusing on two main areas

narrow leaf drug type

and

late ripening terpene content

i believe these two areas will be the 'key' to unlock 'trip weed'. wide leaf with the right terpene content will pass the test also... this may be why you would want to make hash out of the faster flowering and smoke the flower of later varieties. oil content.

if you just took down some Zam it'll be 2+ months of curing before shes 'right'

also phenotype expression under stress might be a shortcut.

mr. gt

I saw you mentioned Nevilles acid pheno. What about Tom Hills version? Is there a difference? I just picked up a LOT of Tom's to look for that pheno.

~mr. gt

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I saw you mentioned Nevilles acid pheno. What about Tom Hills version? Is there a difference? I just picked up a LOT of Tom's to look for that pheno.

~mr. gt

Hola Mr. GT,

I think it is worthwhile searching through anyone's Haze seeds. When I first tried Haze, I bought Willy Jack Haze, Original Haze, and Neville's Haze. I grew and tested about 30 seeds a few at a time. I don't remember what was my top strain at the time, but as I grew and tested each one, I killed each one. I kept up with a hopeful search because what they all had in common was a delayed reaction, and the high lasted a long time. Even though they weren't especially potent, the display of these effects reminded me of really good weed I smoked in my youth.

When I burned through the Willy Jack seeds and started on the Original Haze, I was sure I had the right ones. I don't know if this is Tom Hill's or not. They looked extremely sativa, and had gorgeous bud that were very resinous and fuzzy. I kept killing the ones I had tested. I did the Neville's Haze last, and at first was disappointed with the looks of them. Not as pretty as the Original Haze. Again, I killed them off a few at a time. Then one sprouted that looked very different. It was much more delicate looking and had very long and skinny leaves. It was also extremely light green, almost yellow in color and took a long time to grow. It took so long, that I grew it last by itself because it could not keep up with the others.

I nick-named this plant Acapulco Thai because I had heard Acapulco Gold and Thai was in Haze, and this was so "gold" looking with it's yellow color. The smell of the rubbed stem reminded me of Thai. This one took forever to flower and it never got anything you would call buds. Just small bunches of calyxes. In a grow cabinet where I normally can get a 1/4 to 1/2 pound, I got less than an ounce. When I first smoked it, I thought it was a dud, worse than the others. Then it hit me... God Almighty. It was just like Thai Stick, but better. It hit me so fast, I thought I might have passed out and was just coming to. It was also very euphoric. Best weed I ever smoked.

I just finished testing a Purple Haze Thai from ACE Seeds. It was a male, so I bred it with SAGE and smoked a daughter. It was better than all those other Haze seeds I rejected, but no where near that one Neville's Haze. I believe you could come across a great one if you are looking through Haze of any kind. I think you have to be lucky though, which is better than looking through strains where you have no chance of finding a great one.

My eyes glaze over when people trace the lineage to a specific individual that one or the other breeders have or had in their possession. What I do know is, that for my preferences, if it has Thai in it's lineage, all things are possible. I feel that way about Haze in general also. In fact, since I have seen pictures of Highland Oaxacan Gold, I now see that that particular Haze pheno looked very much like that strain. So Thai, Haze, and Oaxacan are forever on my list of strains worth searching through.

Here is a picture of a child from that Neville's Haze. It looks different because I crossed it with Burmese and Hawaiian Haze as I selfed it back to the Neville's cut several times. It is now a fat leaved pheno. It has kept that yellow/golden color from it.

picture.php

Best of luck on your search. Please post here as it will surely be of interest to me and anyone else searching for trip weed.

ThaiBliss

ForestBuds

Snerval from Oregon can be quite trippy, made me hallucinate somewhat circa 2007. I was not sure if I was seeing real spirits with it.

I once asked for the strongest one at a cannabis shop in Internlaken, Switzerland circa 2001. It made me feel like I was rolling forward in circles in my head during a train trip to Germany. It also made me see shadows turning into bat shape coming to my eye repeatedly while chilling in my cousin's room. Too bad I don't know the strain name.

Original Misty from Home Fantasy store in Amsterdam. Woke up one morning from all night smoking session at flying pig hostel. Woke up still stoned. No breakfast. Straight to a coffeeshop to hit 4 foot bong with Original Misty. Walked out of the door. BAM... everything become like 2d paper like Mario visual. Vividly remember getting lost into different worlds at one store full of hologram postcards on the walls.

I'll have to say that Amnesia Haze can make you wake up in your bed not knowing on how you got there. It also makes you feel like you still are in a dream when you wake up afterwards.

Certain Mexican ganja can make you trip as well.

mr. gt

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Here is a link to most of the information I was reading which led me to pursue Toms version. Tom commented in this post also which led to a 20 page discussion.

Also a picture from Tom himself. A pheno which should be able to be found in his seeds. Supposedly the original haze CAN turn purple due to climate.

picture.php

from thread: In search of "the acid pheno" -- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=161560&page=14

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
Here's a plant that I really like and think might be special. A skinny, short, twiggy plant.
picture.php

I can tell because I have buds like these which are a delicacy to smoke and ready NOW, but I can't wait for the little, skinny plant above to finish because it's so good. It takes twice as long as the dry buds pictured.
picture.php

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
You also may want to look into Durban Poison. That stuff is pretty gnarly, that is if you like a roller coaster experience when you smoke, I didn't really read the thread just skimmed it. :)