Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Micro Grows > Cobra420's Dual 150w HPS Cabinet

Thread Title Search
Cobra420's Dual 150w HPS Cabinet Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2013, 07:02 AM #1
Cobra420

Cobra420 has a spectacular aura aboutCobra420 has a spectacular aura aboutCobra420 has a spectacular aura aboutCobra420 has a spectacular aura about
Cobra420's Dual 150w HPS Cabinet

Hello and welcome to the show. This cabinet of mine has been in the works for quite a while. Slowly but surely, it is almost complete. Just little things I'd like to do to clean it up a little more.

The cabinet is a “Closet Maid” bought from a local chain hardware store. Its dimensions are 48”L x 20”W x 72”H

The top part of the cabinet is used as a Mother/Clone Chamber. Its dimensions are 48”L x 20”W x 20”H. It has a 2’ 2 bulb PLL and it had a 2’ 2 bulb T5 (The T5 has been removed to be used on a different project of mine)

The bottom two sections are being used as Flowering Chambers. Their dimensions are 23”L x 20”W x 48”H each
There is a 150w HPS in each side

For ventilation, the cabinet has a 6” Vortex sitting on the top right of the cab with a carbon filter directly under it. The box of the Vortex has been rotated so no decals from the box show and it is sitting over the fan to hide it from view. The Vortex is being slowed down to about 70% with an Autotransformer. There are 2 - 8”x8” Darkroom Louvers as intakes in the back of each chamber about 15” above the floor. There are also 2 – 8”x8” Darkroom Louvers in the top left of the left chamber and top right of the right chamber to vent into the mother chamber and then out the cab by the scrubber/fan.

So far, this setup has been working GREAT! Temps range from 73-78 depending on ambient temps of the room. The setup isn’t silent by any means, but it was easily covered up by moving our small box fan from one part of our room to the top of the cabinet running constantly. The wifey and I like the white noise for when we sleep.

The back has been reinforced with ¾” plywood and all wiring I attached to it. I decided to keep it clean by installing outlets into each chamber and wiring everything up. At first, they glowed like crazy, so since I have a ton of panda film, I took pieces of it and stapled them over each outlet on the back. I caulked everything up and then for extra measures, put a strip of panda film over all the caulked areas. I used fairly large weather stripping for the doors. If I ever have to change it, I’ll go with the next size down.

To keep the doors closed tight, I have a magnet latch at the top and bottom of both doors. I also installed cabinet locks right under the door handles for security purposes. Overall, it works very well.

I have had the wifey lock me in each side of the cabinet with lights on in the top and other side as well as lights on in our bedroom and each flower cab is 100% light proof.

The 2 ballast, timer and autotransformer are sitting next to the box with the fan in it on top of the cab. I placed a box around it all as well to hide them from view. It definitely does its job nicely.

As for plants, since I’m just getting back into growing again, I’ve decided to go with some bag seed. I’ve been using this time to practice cloning, test my mix and seeing what methods work for me.

My cloning method, since very few clones are needed, has been using a shot glass of water. Simple, low maintenance and super effective. I've been taking tons of cuts and experimenting with them in every way possible.

At the moment, I have 2 plants, 67 days into flowering in my tent. All of the plants in this cabinet are cuts from those two plants. I started off with 8 – 3 gallon grow bags, 4 on each side. Having to hand water all of these from day one was a hassle. So after a couple days of that, I had a brilliant idea to make self-irrigated planters out of the stock of 1 gallon water jugs I have. So I made a bunch and planted all the clones that I had gotten to root. I also made 2 – 5 gallon self-irrigated containers as well to see how they do. So far, I love them. I have so much more free time now. All I do is top off the reservoirs of each container and that’s it. Perfectly watered at all times.

I have 12 clones in 1 gallon self-irrigated containers on the left side. The other side I have 4 clones in 1 gallon self-irrigated containers and 2 clones in 5 gallon self-irrigated containers. All of them are at 30 days 12/12. A few of the 1 gals and both of the 5 gals had some veg time while all the rest are 12/12 from rooting.

This is a practice run so I wasn’t too strict about canopy management as you can tell by the jungle I have going on. I mainly wanted to make sure I could keep a mother plant, take clones and get them from start to harvest before getting too serious with everything.

On the next go around, I plan on running a 5 gal in each side and scrogging them. So far, I feel they have been the least maintenance. Some of the 1 gals need to be refilled every day where the 5 gals give me time for other things.

For media, I decided to go the organic route and I have to say, I love it! Got it from a member from the Organic Soil section.

This mix consists of:

1 part Home Made Leaf Mold
1 part Peat
1 part Perlite
1 part Vermiculite
1 part Home Made Worm Castings
1 part Home Made Compost

For each 7.5 Gallons (1 cuft) of mix
I mixed all ingredients for each mix together in equal volume and used

2 Cups of Food Mix:
Blood Meal (wanted to finish the bag but discontinuing its use)
Bone Meal (wanted to finish the bag but discontinuing its use)
Alfalfa Meal
Cotton Seed Meal

1.5 Cups of Fix It Mix:
Crab Meal
Kelp Meal

1 Cup of Mineral Mix:
Green Sand
Azomite
Oyster Shell
Gypsum
Dolomite (wanted to finish the bag but discontinuing its use)

That's all I have for now. I've been watching the 2 plants in my tent closely since they are getting close to harvest time. So far mostly milky with 0 amber. When I get a chance, I'll snap a few pics of them as well.

Let me know what you think. If you have any questions, ask away. Thank you for checking it out.
Cobra420 is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:47 PM #2
blynx
WALSTIB

blynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud of
That's a really cool setup!

Are you going to run any other genetics besides the bagseed?
blynx is offline Quote

Old 12-18-2013, 09:22 PM #3
KultureRunner

KultureRunner is on a distinguished road
Damn, that's suck a clean setup you got goin on there Cobra. I can't wait to see what these two 150w bulbs will pull!
KultureRunner is offline Quote

Old 12-18-2013, 11:56 PM #4
Cobra420

Cobra420 has a spectacular aura aboutCobra420 has a spectacular aura aboutCobra420 has a spectacular aura aboutCobra420 has a spectacular aura about
Blynx, Thank you for stopping in. All of the other setups I've done, I feel like I rushed into. This one, I took my time and tried to plan for everything I could. So far, I have to admit, it has turned out to be the best setup I've made and I've been doing this off and on for 4+ years now. It's funny, whenever I see a cabinet or furniture now, all I can think about is what type of grow box I can make out of it.

As for genetics, I have Nirvana's Papaya, Aurora Indica and Bubblicious. I also have Spice of Lifes Blubonic and Blue Satellite 2.2. The thing is, the seeds are well over 3 years old. I've had them stored in their original packages, in an envelope in our cellar/basement since I got them back in 2009/2010. I am having the most difficult time getting ANY of them to germinate. I'm unsure if they are just dormant or if they just aren't viable anymore.

I've tried multiple ways to germinate these seeds and have failed for all. I tried planting directly in soil, in soil with a heat mat under it, in a paper towel in a Tupperware container over a cable box, in a paper towel in between 2 plates over a heat mat and in a glass of water. I've tried putting them into a sand paper tube and shaking them. I've even sanded them by hand with no luck. I've tried some of each pack with different methods and haven't gotten any of them to sprout.

Haha, that's another reason why I'm still growing the bagseed. I've read putting them in a fridge or freezer for a couple months may help so I've been thinking about trying that. Kind of running out of options other than just buying new seeds and seeing what happens.

KultureRunner, Thanks for stopping by. It has a little tidying up to do, but it's getting there. I'm excited to see what these 150's can do as well. First time using smaller bulbs like this but from what I'm seeing, people are growing nice buds with them. Definitely going to keep this post updated with my results.

This run will be interesting. The right side is REALLY packed in there. At the moment, unless I can figure out a way to raise the light more, its going to have to stay where it is. I feel a scrog will give me a better canopy, yield and buds in the future. I like the sog on the left side, but with life at the moment, I'd rather have more time to do other things as well.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:14 AM #5
Cobra420

Here are some pics of my makeshift cloner. Cheap, low maintenance and works GREAT.

From the top, it's just a shotgun terrarium I had made for some other hobbies of mine. Sitting on top of it are 2 x 15w Fluoros.

Inside I have between 2-5 cuts per shot glass and a seed in the soil.

A picture from the side

Some roots.

Usually have roots between 10-14 days. Some have been sooner and some have been later. Its the craziest thing when they root at different times since they are clones of the same plant.

Once the roots have grown a little more, I plant them into the soil mix above in plug trays and set them back in the container. After about 3 days, I move them into the Mother cabinet and once the plug is rooted fully (another couple days), I transplant it into whatever I want to experiment with at that moment. I have been playing around with a bunch of different DIY self watering containers that use some sort of wick, perlite for instance. They have worked better than any other container I have grown in with soil with practically 0 maintenance. Going to stick with them for awhile.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:53 AM #6
Cobra420

These are the two plants that all of the clones in my cabinet came from. They are getting close to done. Just watching the trichs.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:00 AM #7
Cobra420

A couple more.

These plants have had an interesting ride. Tons of things I learned playing and experimenting with these two. They are in 5 gallon buckets that were vegged for WAY too long. A few weeks ago, I decided to set them on trays of perlite to try and get some wicking action to keep them hydrated. If I keep this tent going, I think I'm going to go with 4 x 5 gallon self-irrigated containers and do a modular scrog. I think the results will be fantastic.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:53 AM #8
Chiefbig

Chiefbig will become famous soon enough
Hey Cobra nice grow how many weeks are those two in flower? Those two are beautiful without the scrog
Chiefbig is offline Quote

Old 12-24-2013, 07:46 PM #9
Dilbert Do

Dilbert Do will become famous soon enoughDilbert Do will become famous soon enough
Cobra, how many cfm on the exhaust fan? What diameter exhaust?

Also, did you weatherstrip the frame or the door for light proofing?
Dilbert Do is offline Quote

Old 12-26-2013, 05:56 AM #10
Cobra420

Thanks for stopping in Chiefbig. Those two are in my 600w tent and they are at day 75 of 12/12 today. I've been watching the trichs and they look as if they will be ready any day now. Mostly milky, a couple ambers and a few clears. I'm guessing within the next week I'll pull them down. They do seem to have turned out pretty good without the scrog, but I feel I could get more of an even canopy, with one. The maintenance alone is enough for me to try it out. These were mostly lst'd and with the amount of branching and all, I had a LOT to tie down fairly often. They also started out in the mother section of my cabinet above so height really came in to play there.

Thank you for passing through Dilbert Do. The exhaust is made up of a 6" Carbon Scrubber with a 6" Vortex connected directly to it. The fan has no ducting on it and is being exhausted into my room. According to websites, the cfm is rated for 452CFM. As for weather stripping, I weather stripped the frame.