What's new

Leaves curling from CO2? (pics)

odium33

Hello ICMAG,

Havent been posting on here in a while but I need some advice from the community. I recently relocated to a new house and setup the garage with two 8k rooms. I am having trouble with one of them that is setup with ebb and flo tables, coco and perlite medium with a nutrient profile and strain that I have used for years. Yesterday I flipped the plants into flowering and blasted the CO2 up to 1500ppm. The temperate holds 78-81 in the day cycle and around 60-65 at night. The humidity is around 40-60 during the day (will lower later in flower) and around 50 at night. Before flipping them into flowering I had them all under 4k of HPS light with an exhaust and passive intake, was holding a little warmer, around 82-84 with a 60-70 humid and obviously no CO2. I spread the plants out to cover all 8 trays instead of 4 and fired up the dehuey, AC and propane burner. All the plants looked perfectly healthy 2 days ago, leaves standing up grabbing the light. Today I noticed a curl in the leaves that looks like overwatering, but I ruled that out because I have been hand feeding them still as needed. I can only think that I maybe shocked them by going straight from 400ppm CO2 straight to 1500, although I have always done this in the past without any trouble. I have lowered the CO2 to 800ppm for the time being to see if it helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR- flipped plants in flower, blast CO2, leaves curl, look at pictures and help

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Hello ICMAG,

Havent been posting on here in a while but I need some advice from the community. I recently relocated to a new house and setup the garage with two 8k rooms. I am having trouble with one of them that is setup with ebb and flo tables, coco and perlite medium with a nutrient profile and strain that I have used for years. Yesterday I flipped the plants into flowering and blasted the CO2 up to 1500ppm. The temperate holds 78-81 in the day cycle and around 60-65 at night. The humidity is around 40-60 during the day (will lower later in flower) and around 50 at night. Before flipping them into flowering I had them all under 4k of HPS light with an exhaust and passive intake, was holding a little warmer, around 82-84 with a 60-70 humid and obviously no CO2. I spread the plants out to cover all 8 trays instead of 4 and fired up the dehuey, AC and propane burner. All the plants looked perfectly healthy 2 days ago, leaves standing up grabbing the light. Today I noticed a curl in the leaves that looks like overwatering, but I ruled that out because I have been hand feeding them still as needed. I can only think that I maybe shocked them by going straight from 400ppm CO2 straight to 1500, although I have always done this in the past without any trouble. I have lowered the CO2 to 800ppm for the time being to see if it helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR- flipped plants in flower, blast CO2, leaves curl, look at pictures and help

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=49916&pictureid=1165710&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=49916&pictureid=1165709&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=49916&pictureid=1165708&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=49916&pictureid=1165707&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

yeah because 1500ppm is a crock. Dont exceed 1000ppm, not even if heath robinson and 420 magazine say so. Stick at 800ppm, it will turn around. I never had success from my Co2 at 1500.

Your controller could be out of whack too. You may think it is 1500ppm but really you could be injecting 1750ppm because the sensor sucks. What type of meter do you use?

I had a shitty, none select-able PPM-4 with only a press set to turn off at 1500ppm. My plants looked like garbage.

Needless to say I sold it and will never use one again.

All I know is most knowledge out there regarding co2 supplementation is a bunch a garbage some stoners came up with.

Kind of like the idiots that said the no carb diet is healthy. People just mindlessly follow it as truth.

Here is some copy pasted information

"Too much CO2 is bad to the plants. Too high CO2 level lowers plants' transpiration during photosynthesis: without or with less transpiration less nutritive solution is drawn thru the plant, thus less food enters the plant and growth slows down. Under too high CO2 level, necrosis spots (dead vegetal tissue, Figure 2) appear on leaves that may also roll into themselves. These dead tissue spots are a great food for bacteria and molds. Too much of a good thing, again, turns out bad results like a lower weighted yield per plant and a lower quality produce."

odium33

Ok I will definitely try lowering the ppm. I am using a sentinel chhc4 that is fairly new, is there any way to calibrate or tell is your sensor is accurate?

RedReign

Ok I will definitely try lowering the ppm. I am using a sentinel chhc4 that is fairly new, is there any way to calibrate or tell is your sensor is accurate?

Did you get this figured out?

The same thing happened to me a few years ago. It was the CO2 generator. I switched to a different CO2 generator, same brand, and the problem went away and has been fine since.

I just built a new room and I'm having the same issue with a brand new generator. I put the new 'bad' generator in my existing room and sure enough, the plants curled over. I also put my 'good' generator from my existing room into my new room, and everything is perfect.

So it's definitely not the CO2 controller, LP hose, or the LP regulator.

Both 'bad' generators had perfect blue flames, so they appeared to be working fine.

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Guys if you are using propane generators, please invest into a LP detector and a CO detector.

We dont want anyone blowing up their spot or poisoning themselves.

RedReign

Did you get this figured out?

The same thing happened to me a few years ago. It was the CO2 generator. I switched to a different CO2 generator, same brand, and the problem went away and has been fine since.

I just built a new room and I'm having the same issue with a brand new generator. I put the new 'bad' generator in my existing room and sure enough, the plants curled over. I also put my 'good' generator from my existing room into my new room, and everything is perfect.

So it's definitely not the CO2 controller, LP hose, or the LP regulator.

Both 'bad' generators had perfect blue flames, so they appeared to be working fine.

Found the problem with my new burner, which is a Titan Selene 2.

I didn't want to hassle with boxing it up and shipping it back, so I decided to look for any obvious issues. I noticed a wire with some heat damage. So I took the bottom off the burner. With the bottom off I could see thick black soot, about 3" in diameter, just below the bar that all the burners screw in to. The small copper tube that connects the solenoid to the burner bar has compression connectors. One of the ferrules in the connector was cracked and leaking.

I replaced the copper tube and installed new compression connectors and it works fine now.