What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yogurt Cup Challenge

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Welcome to Round 3 of the Yogurt Cup Challenge
:woohoo:

picture.php

photo courtesy of gloryoskie from round 1

Let's grow amazing plants in 6oz yogurt cup containers together! Document the grows! Share our experience! Finally, we will collectively decide who accomplished the most impressive results, combined with the best documentation of progress and techniques used.

Micro- Challenge History; in the spirit of:

Previous Rounds of Yogurt Cup Challenge:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=249157
^^ Round 1
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=248298
^^^ Round 1 call for entries

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=257977
^^^ Round 2 (last round)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=257266
^^^ Round 2 (last round) call for entries

Beer cup challenges:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=221169
^^ 2011

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=238858
^^^ 2012

1 sqft challenge:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=108973

RULES
thanks to ElfstoneStrider for original rules
slightly amended from last round:

1) a 6 oz. individual yogurt container of any shape or brand. No substitutions. Keep the original label on there, please.

2) a cutting, rooted clone, seed or seedling of any Cannabis, male or female. Please specify strain/hybrid/breeder lineage in as much detail as possible.

3) each contestant can enter up to 5 yogurt cup plants (one plant per cup), but must choose only one to be judged.

4) There is no call for entries thread this round, so contest will stay open to new entries the entire time.

5) Your entered cuts or seedlings may be rooted or germinated or not at the time of entry. If it is not rooted, then it must either root in the yogurt cup itself OR be transplanted directly into the yogurt cup so the roots fit entirely inside the yogurt cup.

6) All roots must remain inside the yogurt cup for the duration of the challenge and may require trimming. Bottom feeding is allowed, but if roots grow out the bottom of the container they must be trimmed and not be outside the 6oz container.

7) Harvest must be no more than 18 weeks from today, that's January 13th. Plants must be cut and pics posted showing harvest by January 13th.

We will take and post weekly pics of our entries. We will all keep a good, fun spirit of community and sharing of knowledge and experiences. Weekly update pics are pretty key here so let's all try to keep up, although if you miss one week, don't quit, just keep the updates as steady as possible. Try not to miss more than 3 weeks especially in a row, we really want to show the progress of each yogurt cup grow.

Final harvest weights, both wet and dry, would be great, but not mandatory.

This round is longer allowing for people growing from seed to participate, even if they crack seeds today. If you choose to grow from clone you can end early, January 13th is just maximum time allowed.

Showing plants against a ruler for reference, along the way and at harvest, also not mandatory, but would be awesome.

^^^^^ HOPE THAT ALL MAKES SENSE ^^^^^^

There is no call for entries thread this time, this thread will be the place to be untill Jan 13th.

:ying:

Last edited:

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Great luck to all the contestants this round. I wont be playing but Ill be watching.

Awesome to see us going!!! Since there's a little time, I'm waiting for my Cindy99 to be cloneable and will run a couple strains. Thanks for setting it up Avi!

TerpeneDream

Ha... this is AWESOME!

It's like Bonzai hobby growing for the cannabis lover. So cool...

I'm only in my current spot for 2 more months... So I can't setup a grow yet..

But, can you grow a little plant like this with one of those cheapy bulbs from Lowes? If so, I'm going to start this today! In a clear mason jar, for fun. When I get a place and have to time to complete some grows I look foward to joining this fun little competition!

Couple of questions for you Avinash...

1. How long did that take to complete?
2. 12/12 all the way through?

Nice.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But, can you grow a little plant like this with one of those cheapy bulbs from Lowes? If so, I'm going to start this today! In a clear mason jar, for fun. When I get a place and have to complete some grows I look foward to joining this fun little competition!

Couple of questions for you Avinash...

1. How long did that take to complete?
2. 12/12 all the way through?

Nice.

you could grow under any bulb, i believe the best bulb you could get at lowes would be a 300w cfl, maybe only a 150w depending.... or maybe a 150 or 250w hps, streetlight style....
but you can grow under anylight you want: t5 (any tube blubes) cfl, pll, led, hps, mh, even outdoors, no limits on your environment at all.

screw your clear mason jar, use a yogurt cup, like 60cents at the grocery store. also a mason jar will be tough with no drainage at all....
and it's all for fun, but also to learn! about micro container growing as well as the genetics. also good for testing nutes, you could grow 5 clones of the same plant with 5 different types of nutes. also good for growing males out for pollen chucking small amounts of pollen.

as for your 2 questions:
1) how long did what take?

2) no, not 12/12 all the time, light schedule is entirely up to you, like i said, no environmental restrictions, aside from container size and keeping the roots entirely within the container the entire time, like i said, root pruning MAY very well be necessary.

Last edited:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ya, 5 plants in 5 cups maximium, gotta be cut down by jan 13, clones or seeds

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
Avinash Miles is there a max hight limet to start with, I dident see one in the rules?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I took out the height limit last time, and there is none this time either.
We are not trying to grow the tallest plant or even the highest yielding, so go as big or as small as you want, flip and harvest as you want, only rules are container size & roots remaining contained within the small container, and the time limit.

Just do all updates here in the contest thread? Seems the last couple have been in Microgrow ... I don't care really, just want to post in the correct place :)

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just do all updates here in the contest thread? Seems the last couple have been in Microgrow ... I don't care really, just want to post in the correct place :)

yes you are correct, this is the thread to post in untill jan 13th, no more micro grow section.... for now.

everything should be made clear if you read the first post:
"There is no call for entries thread this round, so contest will stay open to new entries the entire time."

"There is no call for entries thread this time, this thread will be the place to be untill Jan 13th."

Garuda

Veteran
My first seed cup is in the box:

Its a "Fart of the Gods", Original Haze x (Double Fun x Double Dutch).
More to come ;)

5) Your entered cuts or seedlings may be rooted or germinated or not at the time of entry. If it is not rooted, then it must either root in the yogurt cup itself OR be transplanted directly into the yogurt cup so the roots fit entirely inside the yogurt cup.
So if you use jiffies (like me) for cloning hey have to be buried entirely in the yogurt cup? They are not allowed to "sit on top" or get half buried?

Greetz,
Garuda.

joe guy

Pix to come here with in the next 24 hrs
Gota slice some babies offa momma and smash out
Some chobani ... Good job on the rules this round avi.. Lookin forward
To see the plants round...

Snype

Veteran
Ok this sounds like some fun! I'm going to join you guys! I will start mine as soon as I can which will probably be next week. That will be plenty of time! Good luck guys!

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bump

bump

:bump::bump::bump::bump:

I plan on entering, some seedlings i just cracked and some clones prolly. Eating mini yogi cups I bought yesterday, they make some crazy flavors nowadays....

who else is in?

Latest posts

Latest posts