What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

introducing ... the Ramen Burger

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
picture.php

While a line formed in the West Village on Saturday morning for a cronut, there was another line in Brooklyn, forming for the past three hours in the hot sun of Williamsburg, Brooklyn. They were all there for the Ramen Burger, the newest craze to take over the New York food scene.
Keizo Shimamoto , the creator of the Ramen Burger, was smiling, “I have no idea how this happened,” he said. “It’s crazy.”
Before Shimamoto had sold even a single burger, the press had created the hype, so when he finally showed up at the Brooklyn flea market Smorgasburg last week to sell the 150 burgers he had prepped, the line was over 250 people deep. He’s planning to be there on Saturdays; the flea market runs through Nov. 24.
The Ramen Burger is an all-beef patty, sandwiched between two ramen noodle “buns.” It’s garnished with a secret Shoyu sauce, arugula and green onions. The flavor is a salty-sweet combination, but the texture of the buns is what makes this burger so enticing.
“I experimented with different recipes to get the perfect bun. People think it’s crispy because they see it on the grill, but when you bite into it you notice that the noodles are still quite soft.” But it doesn’t break apart. Why? “That’s a secret,” says Shimamoto.
Shimamoto is a second-generation American from Los Angeles. Previously employed as a programmer, he quit his job to pursue his passion of ramen, taking him to Tokyo. ”They have Ramen Burgers there, but they don’t use beef patties, I wanted to bring the two together here in New York.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2013/08/the-ramen-burger/

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I saw this in the guardian earlier in the week. Not quite a donut bacon cheese burger, but I still want one.

Hmm, I bet I could use some of those fried egg rings to set some "Batchelors super noodles" into disc shapes......

Desert Hydro

Veteran
im going to san francisco in a week and i am gonna kill as much indian/thai/japanese food possible! damn i miss good food so much.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I saw this in the guardian earlier in the week. Not quite a donut bacon cheese burger, but I still want one.

Hmm, I bet I could use some of those fried egg rings to set some "Batchelors super noodles" into disc shapes......

you could also try soaking the noodles in cold water for several hours then working with them, cooking for the first time in your egg rings. maybe that would help keep some extra starchiness not cooking the noodles twice, idk.

curious I checked a couple of more articles, he claims that the ramen is fresh, I guess it could be and still packaged this way.

This pic was in the article.

aaff667.jpg

fresh pasta comes extruded & ready to drop in water, so I'll assume this could be his source for ramen, his method & recipe for keeping the bun limber is his secret.

here's the article:
http://www.eonline.com/news/450975/...-you-need-to-know-about-the-latest-food-craze

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol...unless you know how to make a Ramen "burrito" still in the package... well, anyway...you'd have to have been there to know...

I think I could very easily remake his bun...no problem at all...

PS - it makes me want the unholy, unhealthy creation that is Ramen noodles....lol...

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
way to go S4L - she's at least pleasant on the eyes...as long as she doesn't SOUND like Rachel Ray...I might just click your link...hahahhaaaaa....

dank.Frank

Swampdankv2

Veteran
Any pack of brick type ramen can be soaked in hot water for about twenty seconds and then pulled apart like two slices of bread. Makes for a mean sloppy joe bun.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
way to go S4L - she's at least pleasant on the eyes...as long as she doesn't SOUND like Rachel Ray...I might just click your link...hahahhaaaaa....

dank.Frank

and she doesn't try a nibble of that burger, she dives right in on it, still needs bacon.......

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
cant eat ramen...
it was that or what they served so i ate that..
fixed 'em up nice with cheeze its and jerkey but it left a stain on my soul.