Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Micro Grows > McSamuelsMachine 1sqft 56W LED Stealth Grow

Thread Title Search    
Click for Weed Seed Shop
 McSamuelsMachine 1sqft 56W LED Stealth Grow Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
mcsamuels

mcsamuels will become famous soon enough
McSamuelsMachine 1sqft 56W LED Stealth Grow

Welcome my son….toooooo the machine! The McSamuelsMachine that is. My first attempt to build a cab failed miserably on all fronts. But McSamuels is back in business now and better than ever.

Ok enough theatrics, lets get down to business.

I've put together this little stealth cab, which for the most part is pretty stealth. Its a little custom built cabinet that matches the color of the rest of my furniture and style and is relatively quiet :( Its actually fine. Unfortunately the fans on the lights are a bit louder than anticipated, but still not too bad. At night if everything is off and quiet you can hear it but its around my computer and a bunch of other stuff so its easily forgotten and if anything else is on you don't hear it.

Interior dimensions are 33.5 cm (13") W x 27.5 (10.8") D and 42cm H (16.5"). So…not a lot of room but thats what I'm working with.

Inside I have two 28W Bysen LED grow lights, inset into the ceiling shelf. I had a hell of a time lightproofing it with black caulking….three times and still not 100%!
There are a couple of leaks now but I've been draping a heavy tapestry over it which should take care of that.

Intake is a passive hole in the bottom and then a pvc angle light trap with the main shelf/floor. I lost a lot of vertical space doing this but I wanted to make sure there were no light leaks coming from the bottom and its done the trick.

Exhaust is a 120mm silent pc fan also in the "ceiling". The carbon filter is not yet up and when it does go up I'll have another pc fan on top helping to pull air through…hopefully it works well. I also have a another light trap in the bag for the exhaust, as the lights give off some spill from inside the "factory"

Soil is a basic store bought organic mix for the moment (involving organic compost, coir, loam, horticultural sand, organic fertilizer) and perlite. If I get around to organizing it before I transplant I'm gonna add some coco meat and ground up fish bone. Also got some other goodies lined up for later: Seaweed Concentrate, Humic Acid, and some soluble Kelp mix.
I'd like to keep the grow organic but I'm not attached to it.

Pics of the cab are not great quality but I'll try and get some better quality ones up soon.

Last edited by mcsamuels; 09-03-2013 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: deleted corrupted images
mcsamuels is offline   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
mcsamuels

Cab Pics

Terrible picture of front view and light set up :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0448.jpg (35.7 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0449.jpg (81.1 KB, 121 views)

Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
mcsamuels

more cab pics

"Factory" Deck and back view with the second light trap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0452.JPG (121.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0453.jpg (108.7 KB, 70 views)

Old 08-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
mcsamuels

The actual growing

Ahhh yes and now for the actual growing! I'm growing bag seed which I highly suspect to be landrance sativa Zamal. Should be an interesting one!

I've started on 12/12 from seed (though I've just been reading about 12/1 which sounds interesting…anyone have experience with it?). The plan now is to veg for another week or so and then probably switch down to 11/13 and then 10/14 and maybe even 9/15 depending on how things go (unless I move to 12/1). But of course I'm open to suggestions from all you fine people!

A main concern of mine is sexing and possibly running out of room to train the plants before I know sex. But I guess my strategy will be totally dependent on the numbers later on.

Also I should note as a first time grow this is a bit of an experiment. Obviously I would love to get the dankest sattie bud possible but I also don't know my timeframe right now and may have to chop these early. Especially this probably being a long flowering saliva I may experiment with different light schedules and try to get the shortest flowering time possible.

A pic from Day 2 after the seeds popped from the soil. I've got five seedlings right now, in two rows of clear plastic party cups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0420.JPG (105.8 KB, 21 views)

Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
mcsamuels

Day 6 from seed

Pics from today...Day 6 from when they broke soil

As you can see the two in the back row are really stretching for the light. A bit of an unforeseen problem when placing the plants as close to the light as possible the back doesn't get even light distribution at the exhaust fan blocks it a bit and anyway the lights are directed down.

I lowered the plants a bit today so they'll get more even coverage. Also yesterday I gave them their first watering since they popped...before was just doing some light misting every time I checked in on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0441.JPG (106.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0447.JPG (111.8 KB, 20 views)

Old 08-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
mcsamuels

Day 6 from seed

Temps have been consistently between 76-78F/24-25C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0435.JPG (81.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0438.JPG (107.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0445.JPG (106.9 KB, 25 views)

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
mcsamuels

Day 8 from seed

Seedlings are progressing nicely. The most advanced one just started developing its first set of 5 pronged leaves. Its crazy how fast the roots grow! Most of them have already reached the bottom of the cups running down the sides.

Gave them a watering yesterday and today I lowered them a bit more so the back two get more even lighting. They're sitting @ about 20cm (~8in) from the lights now.

Also just made the switch to the 12/1 lighting schedule (12 on, 5.5 off, 1 on, 5.5 off). Interested to see what happens! Also this will give me a chance to check up on them during the day in case I'm out and about at night.

Will try and get more pics up tomorrow.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
texas_green

texas_green will become famous soon enough
Ill be following from the shadows, good luck bro
texas_green is offline   Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
trem0lo

pulling up a chair, good luck~~!

Old 08-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
mcsamuels

Thanks for stopping by guys! I think I'll definitely need all the luck I can get

Had a little hiccup today...I noticed when I got up that the power strip somehow became unplugged from the wall and thus the plants only got around 10 hours of light last night. Anyone know if this will be a problem at this stage? They also got their one hour light break a few hours later...Just wondering if this will stress the plants out at this stage...I'm assuming its early on enough that they'll be fine.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
Secrecy
70w HPS

Secrecy has a spectacular aura aboutSecrecy has a spectacular aura aboutSecrecy has a spectacular aura about
Good luck and have fun, I'll be subd
Secrecy is offline   Quote

Old 08-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
mcsamuels

Thanks Secrecy. It is fun, too much fun! I can't wait to check in on my babies at the end of the day when the lights finally turn on

So I didn't do so well on getting the pictures up a couple days ago...no more campaign promises! Having said that I will try to get some more pics up tomorrow night.

Theres been explosive growth over the last two days. Not in height (at all, actually, they've remained the same height for the past few days) but in leaf structure and size. I don't know if it has to do with switching to 12/1 or not, but its been fun every time I check in on them to see how much they've changed!

Its the light "break" now, gonna give em a little water. I've been watering with bottled water at a PH of 6.9 to begin with and just found some thats at 6 so I'm thinking of alternating between the two, but have yet to measure the runoff.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Yakov

Yakov will become famous soon enoughYakov will become famous soon enough
looks good, subed
Yakov is offline   Quote

Old 08-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #14
Neekz

Neekz has a spectacular aura aboutNeekz has a spectacular aura aboutNeekz has a spectacular aura about
Good stuff, surprised they haven't bleached from the focusing of the lens that close. Should be a good show bredren!
Neekz is offline   Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #15
mcsamuels

Day 13 from seed

Thanks for checkin in guys!

Alright time for a little picture update!

We're on Day 13 from seed now. The babies seem to be taking well to the 12/1 so far since I switched a couple days back.

Pics of the first row of three, the most developed, and a side view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0470.JPG (71.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0471.JPG (116.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0475.JPG (58.4 KB, 23 views)