What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone else seen this yet (Oil in canned butane)

M

mda232

A guy named Thomas Martin on facebook has been running several tests lately on canned butane (Newport, Vector, Power 5x, XIKAR) I think so far. All of them (cept the Xikar) have left some kind of oil in the collection dish when sprayed through nothing. Above my head but hoped to get Graywolf or someone elses input.

Here's a link to the youtube video, lookup Thomas Martin on facebook for more of the discussion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3xHr6suHU&feature=youtu.be

M

mda232

Yeah, from what I can see of the discussion using either N-butane or canned butane ran through a recovery vessel to get rid of the initial unwanted oil is the only way to go.

Gross, time to get the pure stuff then.

I just recently can-taped 12 cans of lucienne into my MKIII and noticed the same oily residue that smelled like machine oil in the recovery pot. Seems like the recyling units do indeed remove this impurity. Makes me want to start doing activated charcoal loads with new butane.

By the looks of the video it doesnt look like it is soluble in the butane, i wonder if it usually just gets stuck in the plant material in the tube.

It would be interesting to organize some sort of rigorous independent testing on the most common brands, maybe start a paypal donation account for all of us to contribute to.

M

mda232

He's doing more tests, but so far it appears to not purge even at 150 and -29.9 or winterize, he's testing the winterization again though.

jump117

Veteran
I doubt that he will be able to get an alcoholic solution of the oil.
Most likely, it is insoluble in ethanol and removed from BHO during winterization together with the vegetable lipids.

TerpeneDream

Seems butane is dangerous and unhealthy unless some scientist makes it in his 50k machine. Eh, still doesn't seem right. I just heard yesterday actually that ISO contains contaminants.

What about just going with Budderking's recipe in Augusts High Times?

He calls for 190% organic grape spirit for his potent dabbables...
Have you guys tried this?

M

mda232

he already winterized it once and it wasn't separated from the bho, Jump

A6 Grower

Veteran
Ya that discussion has been quite informing, i noticed the oil whenever ive filled my tank for my closed loop. Ive tried many different butanes and they ALL have it, but its gone after you recovery the butane. Running your butane though charcoal before being recovered works quite well just fyi

CarefulGrower

50 cans and the oil only appears at the last....

No view of can, clean vessel, or clean tube. The video maker could have added anything to his tube during a can, it all appearing on the last can or two is fishy.

I wonder why he blocked A) his tube b) his butane c) his butane interaction at injection, after all, he is being open about testing... right?

Love how "since one has it, they all will!" but hasn't tested any other brands.

Care of hazelnut from TC - "...To minimise the risk of impurities our printed cans are welded without lubricant..."

- http://www.keen-newport.com/privatelabelin-b.html

A6 Grower

Veteran
The video is real, and if you had a closed loop system you would have seen this oil also if you use canned butane. He made a page on FB called mystery oil where he shows pics and everything of the setup. He ran 50 cans of tane though just a glass tube, no material, into a SS pot, all clean btw, and i think he got back 1.3g of this oil substances. It smells like a tire and is very grease, not sticky at all. Ive seen this oil in my collection pot of my MKIII when i fill up my tank. The butane goes in a gets recovered and this oil stuff is left behind. Obviously just one can isn't going to be a visually noticeable amount but when your transferring 3 cases in a 50LB refrigerant tank, quite a lot of oil shows up. This oil does get left behind luckily when the butane is recovered and put in the tank. So im pretty sure the only clean butane is each pure n-butane or canned butane that has been transferred from cans to a tank by a recovery process and it doesn't hurt to filter the butane though some activated charcoal before it gets recovered and put into a LP5 tank. Every canned butane has this, ive tried many brands and they are all the same, all leave this oil residue

jump117

Veteran
The lubricant is composed of mineral oils and paraffins (vaseline), which are also insoluble in alcohol, as vegetable fats and waxes.

It seems that now the definition of winterization greatly expanded,
now it removes not only the plant waxes and fats, but also mineral oils and paraffins come from butane.

:thank you:

Vaseline (Latin Vaselinum, Paraffinum unguinosum, Petrolatum) - buttery liquid with no odor or taste. In case of partial purification from black to yellow, with the full - to white. Composed of a mixture of mineral oil and solid paraffin hydrocarbons. Melting point - 27-60 ° C, viscosity - 28-36 mm ² / s at 50 ° C. Soluble in ether, chloroform, insoluble in water and alcohol, mixed with all oils except castor. Get out of the vacuum distillate oil fractions thickening petrolatum, paraffin and ceresin. Not saponified with alkaline solutions,
:)

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A guy named Thomas Martin on facebook has been running several tests lately on canned butane (Newport, Vector, Power 5x, XIKAR) I think so far. All of them (cept the Xikar) have left some kind of oil in the collection dish when sprayed through nothing. Above my head but hoped to get Graywolf or someone elses input.

Here's a link to the youtube video, lookup Thomas Martin on facebook for more of the discussion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3xHr6suHU&feature=youtu.be

My guess is that the mystery oil would be pentane, since that is the simple alkane fraction immediately after butane and would be an oil at room temperature.

The other two simple alkane fractions that would most likely be present, are isobutane and propane, but they are a gas at room temperature.

All of those make a damn fine extraction, and are easily purged below levels of concern.

As far as some of the other statements on the thread, what can I say? Not everyone does their research before passing on hear say or brain farts.

For instance, residual gunk in a butane barrel is highly unlikely, because butane isn't stored in barrels. It is a gas at room temperature and is stored in pressurized tanks.

Simple alkanes like butane are nothing but single bonded carbon atoms in a chain, with all the other bonds filled up with hydrogen, so it is non polar. How it is leaching polar metal ions therefore poses a large question mark.

And so forth, but those are just side issues, with the main theme being "what is this stuff." My suggestion would be to have a sample run through a gas chromatograph, because it looks like collecting a large enough sample for fractional distillation to determine its boiling point, would be costly.

M

mda232

This makes me realize how unfortunate it is that people can't just get access to N-butane and closed-loop systems more earily.

M

mda232

BTW, for anyone still doubting this-- there's a great discussion going on over at TokeCity (I won't like out of respect for ICMag). HMK has tested it and a few other people-- seems to be real.

jump117

Veteran
My guess is that the mystery oil would be pentane, since that is the simple alkane fraction immediately after butane and would be an oil at room temperature.

Gray Wolf, why do you think it could be pentane?
Pentane Boiling point 36 °C, 97 °F.

Thomas Martin wrote on fb –
“After 4 hrs at 120*f I observed a relatively thick coating of oil with a machine oil odor.
and doesn't cold boil at -29.9hg and 135*f”