Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Natural Living Soil and No-Till thread for Beginners

Thread Title Search
Click for Great Deals on Cannabis Genetics!
Natural Living Soil and No-Till thread for Beginners Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013, 02:08 PM #1
vonforne

Natural Living Soil and No-Till thread for Beginners

Ok, so there has been an increased interest in organic growing lately. This thread will detail thing that have been discussed in the group Project OFC for sometime. In the following thread we will discuss Soil building, ACT and ACT brewers, Re-amending soil, containers, Blu-mats, Folair feeding, natural plant inputs, topdressing etc............

Building your soil

This to me is the single most important element of growing because without it everything else you do is pointless. So, here we go......

Building a soil yourself is much cheaper than buying bagged soils which to me are worthless and contain less than desirable ingredients. The quality you can achieve is unmatched by any pre-made bagged soil on the market today. There are many soil mixes floating around out there but I have found that the simpler the soil mix the better as it allows you to build on it at a later. Each user should take in to consideration that somethings can be obtained locally much cheaper than mail ordering so look first in your respective areas before ordering to save you some hard earned money.

Here is a mix I like to go with.

Base mix

1\3 Peat (Premier @ Home Depot)
1\3 Quality compost or Earthworm castings. (this is the most important part to me! You must always use high quality compost!)
1\3 aeration (Pumice, Lava rock or Rice hulls) I prefer Lava rock as it is obtainable @ almost every box store in America.

Amendments are measured per cubic foot of base material.

Amendment mix

Per cubic foot use

1\2 cup Neem seed meal or Karanja meal (N source)
1\2 cup Fish meal
1\2 cup Crabshell meal
1\2 cup Kelp meal
1\2 cup Fishbone meal

Mineral mix

1\2 cup Gypsum
4 to 5 cups (4x Glacial rock dust, 1x Bentonite, 1x Oystershell powder and 1x Basalt) GRD and Basalt are basically the same to if you don´t have access to one or the other just add a little more of what is available to you locally.

I like to add ´charged´ Biochar to my mixes @ 10% of the mix. You want to make sure it is saoked in Fish hydrolysate or EWC so when mixed into the soil it will not absorb the nutrients and rob your plants of needed nutrients.

Mixing your soil

I like to spread out a tarp in my basement to mix on. You can do this or mix outside or whatever suits your needs. I have also mixed in a concrete mixer for large batches of soil. I generally mix in 50 gallon lots so hand, rake and shovel mixing for me works.

First thing you want to do is re-hydrate your peat. I do this by spreading it out on the tarp and breaking up all the chunks from the compressed bale. My bales come in 3 cubic feet. A cubic foot is 7.48 gallons. I then take warm water mixed with Aloe vera juice and hydrate the soil. Plain water works it can bet a little expensive using 200x Aloe vera juice to do this. You want it moist and not wet.
Next, I add the aeration component. I am using just Lava rock I crushed with a cinder block. Try and get it into 1\2 inch sizes dust and all. Mix this throughly and then add you Mineral mix. And then add the amendment mix and again mix throughly. At this time I like to moisten the soil a bit more until you can get a little water to come out when squeezed. I then cover and will let it sit for a period of no less than 4 weeks but have planted directly into it when needed. You can also fill what ever pots you are going to use. I am currently using 7 gallon Smart pots

Now, to this mix I will add 10% local soil to inoculate the soil. This is the easiest way to do it but you can also make an ACT and do it that way but I find using local soil gathered from under a stand of trees is best. It also adds biodiversity to your soil.

And that completes this part. I will end this with a few shots of my plants over the last few years.......

This is the end of part 1.

Happy gardening!

Last edited by vonforne; 08-29-2013 at 12:06 PM..

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:11 PM #2
OrganicBuds
Banned

OrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud of
You should write a book, and I would buy it. Great information here, great work Vonforne.
OrganicBuds is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 PM #3
Weird
3rd eye jedi

Weird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivor
may I please offer the suggestion anyone mixing amendments invest in and wear a respirator

WWDLBD

WW1.618D

Quote:
The shape it takes could be yours to choose

What you may win, what you may lose
Sativa is manna from heaven - BLueGrassToker

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured - Ureapwhatusow

nobody every told me i found out for myself, you've got to believe in foolish miracles - o. osborne

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to - b. Dylan
Weird is offline Quote

14 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:29 PM #4
vonforne

Here is a quick shot of my current garden. I have more but liked this picture......

now off to the outdoor gardens and a nice walk in the woods for me today. The weather is beautiful here right now.......so puff puff and will talk to all of you later today.

Peace

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:33 PM #5
soursmoker
East Coast, All Day!

soursmoker is a splendid one to beholdsoursmoker is a splendid one to beholdsoursmoker is a splendid one to beholdsoursmoker is a splendid one to beholdsoursmoker is a splendid one to beholdsoursmoker is a splendid one to beholdsoursmoker is a splendid one to beholdsoursmoker is a splendid one to beholdsoursmoker is a splendid one to beholdsoursmoker is a splendid one to beholdsoursmoker is a splendid one to behold
Awesome thread! Glad to see it come to life! Can't wait for the future installments!

SCROG THREAD!
VERT Grow Thread!
ECSDxSSSDH test thread!

Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. I do not grow or condone the growing of anything not legal. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widely available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal.
soursmoker is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:09 PM #6
OrganicOzarks

2 things

Wear a mask (as already stated)

Buy a cement mixer, and let it mix it for you. You will also get a much more consistent mix with a cement mixer. You can find them on craigslist for $100-$200. They have them new at lowes, and home depot for less than $300.

When I recycle I only use 1/4 cups of amendments. It is more than enough. I also would not replace the rock dusts at such high rates. I treat them like the others and only do a 1/4 cup.

Not all of the amendments get broken down in each run so there is not much of a point of using so much when recycling. There will almost always be left over nutrients in your soil.

At your rates you could add amendments every other run with no problems.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:16 PM #7
vonforne

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicOzarks View Post
2 things

Wear a mask (as already stated)

Buy a cement mixer, and let it mix it for you. You will also get a much more consistent mix with a cement mixer. You can find them on craigslist for $100-$200. They have them new at lowes, and home depot for less than $300.

When I recycle I only use 1/4 cups of amendments. It is more than enough. I also would not replace the rock dusts at such high rates. I treat them like the others and only do a 1/4 cup.

Not all of the amendments get broken down in each run so there is not much of a point of using so much when recycling. There will almost always be left over nutrients in your soil.

At your rates you could add amendments every other run with no problems.
After the initial mix I only top dress with what I think it needs. Alfalfa, EWC etc.

I never said anything would be replaced yet and no you do not re-amend with the Rock powders.

After I run the mix I only top out with EWC the next round and maybe some alfalfa IF I think it needs any. But 2 inches of compost or EWC is standard.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:31 PM #8
OrganicOzarks

Sorry I was confused by the Title of the thread vs. the content of the thread. By the title I thought you were recycling soil, but by the content you are building a soil. A bit confusing.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 PM #9
vonforne

Went through with my Hudson Comando sprayer and sprayed the top of the containers with Aloe, Ful-power and Protekt.

The night before they received a soil drench of the same. I like to use the sprayer to keep the top part of the soil moist under the mulch.

and here is a shot of the smart pots and the Blu-mat. I also prefer to keep the drag trimmed so the plant puts its energy into flower formation.

here is one half of the garden from 2 nights ago

Last edited by vonforne; 08-18-2013 at 04:44 PM..

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:35 PM #10
vonforne

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicOzarks View Post
Sorry I was confused by the Title of the thread vs. the content of the thread. By the title I thought you were recycling soil, but by the content you are building a soil. A bit confusing.

it will be a not till as we go along.....I just started from the beginning for those who have not done it before so the are not lost as they start to read along.......starting from the first page of the book so to speak. No confusion.