What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Asprin for making Femenised seeds?

G.Goo

Does anyone know if u add 6-8 asprin in small spray bottle (not a single pill like used to boost the plant) If this makes plants go hermie. Wanna make my own Fems .This is due to I have no males present and don't wanna risk cash in mail.Does anyone know if it really works ?

If not guess we will find out in a few months

Cayenne

colloidal silver on amazon
true dat. colloidal silver will make a female plant grow male flowers making it possible for the plant to pollinate itself. never heard of aspirin doing this

not sure if the the active metabolite in Aspirin (Acetylsalicylic acid) would cause a plant to do that. worth a try. plz post results

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Hi G.Goo

I just happen to know a trifle about aspirin and feminized seeds because I looked that up recently. Finally, I decided to go with silver thiosulfate...

Well, silver ions or silver thiosulfate are more commonly used to induce male flower development as most other possible agents interfering with the ethylene pathway. Both have the advantage that they remain long within the plant and therefore block the effects of ethylene constantly (I have no clue wheter they act as sort of receptor antagonists...). Therefore, once inverted, a female will remain a "male" for the rest of her/his live.
Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) and salicylic acid (which is btw only an aspirin metabolite in vertebrates) both inhibit 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate synthase and therefore interfere with the formation of ethylene. Drawback is that they need rather high concentrations (if I recall correctly, in vitro concentrations are around 1 mM) and need to be applied for a longer period (maybe for the rest oft the "experiment"). As you have no idea on how much is resorbed by the plant (soil or hydropontics) and how fast it is metabolized, you can't even estimate how much and for how long you would have to feed your plants that stuff ;) .

Try it but don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out or if it kills your "test subjects".

Greetings

G.Goo

Hi G.Goo

I just happen to know a trifle about aspirin and feminized seeds because I looked that up recently. Finally, I decided to go with silver thiosulfate...

Well, silver ions or silver thiosulfate are more commonly used to induce male flower development as most other possible agents interfering with the ethylene pathway. Both have the advantage that they remain long within the plant and therefore block the effects of ethylene constantly (I have no clue wheter they act as sort of receptor antagonists...). Therefore, once inverted, a female will remain a "male" for the rest of her/his live.
Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) and salicylic acid (which is btw only an aspirin metabolite in vertebrates) both inhibit 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate synthase and therefore interfere with the formation of ethylene. Drawback is that they need rather high concentrations (if I recall correctly, in vitro concentrations are around 1 mM) and need to be applied for a longer period (maybe for the rest oft the "experiment"). As you have no idea on how much is resorbed by the plant (soil or hydropontics) and how fast it is metabolized, you can't even estimate how much and for how long you would have to feed your plants that stuff ;) .

Try it but don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out or if it kills your "test subjects".

Greetings
I wouldn't be pissed I got 8 mothers whats a extra clone to play with.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Then I'm awaiting eagerly a nice report on how your "painkiller feminization" goes:) ! Would really be cool to know.

Maybe you should try different doses and/or different regimes (say, treat once for a few days, treat continuous for 2-3 weeks, treat 2 days per week for 3 weeks, and maybe with increasing doses to find the maximum being tolerated)?

Somewhat off topic: What's that with the Aspirin tablet to boost your plants? How and why does that work? I'm pretty intrigued now... Is there by any chance an effect on root growth too (because of another ongoing thread)? Thanks.

I

icon

ive tried aspirin like 5 years ago someone told me like 4 bayer in 1 gallon of water & spray plants everyday with in about 2 - 3 days it fried my leaves & soon after killed my plant i wouldnt do it. stick to C.S. heres a link to everything you need to know https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=60610

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Problem with ASA is, that it also induces senescence and triggers oxidative defense mechanisms... that means, a too strong stimulus causes a deadly response not only for the presumable pathogens (that's what the plant thinks is going on) but for the plant itself (that's like using CS gas agains a burglar in your living room with your whole family present LoL).
At least, you know now the upper dosage :) .

I would add it to the water because ASA and SA readily diffuse through the whole plant from roots to tips and you don't have to bother too much about additives gluing the stomata air-tight. Alternatively, spraying after lights out and washing the leafs in the morning can greatly reduce chemical burning also of other leaf applied compounds like fertilisers (but then you may have to spray more often).

Latest posts

Latest posts