What's new

Hynoaspis miles bug almost had me fooled.....

SirSteely

So, Im a little embarrassed but fuck it , I AM a newbie grower.
This is what happened.......

My first grow I used nothing but neem and sticky strips for pest control, and had a pretty decent fungus gnat infestation. Towards the end of my first grow my soil became HEAVILY infested with what I thought were Root Aphids(RA). I swear I thought my first grow was doomed, there were thousands of crawlies. I harvested a good 10~14 early on 3 plants.

I moved, rebuilt, nuked everything with DrDoom, and started over.

Im 8 weeks into new setup. I have 5 month old, from seed, future (hopeful)moms in my veg area.(seemyjournal) In my bloom tent I have one large HerojuanaOG from clone at day 30 of 12/12.
Day 26 I notice paling leaves starting at top of plant.Day 27 I see about 4 fungus gnat fliers and reapply Mosquito Dunk drench.Day 28 I see several of what I think are RAs on the top of my soil, and I think Im doomed again. When I search my veg area they are in that soil also. I checked new rental listings.. & I read every RA forum in etherspace.
Its then that I find a few threads about the Hynoapsis miles bug, a predator bug that eats fungus gnat larvae. I realize that the hynoaspis miles looks a hell of a lot like a juvenile RA. i grab my x30 scope and get a GOOD look. I 100% do NOT have RAs, they are hynoaspis for sure. I never had RAs in my first grow either. I realized I never saw what would of been an adult or a flier RA, ever. I feel like a dweeb.Oh the paling leaves, not hungry for N. It was light bleaching because I had my 600w a little too close...

These pics don't do justice to the detail I saw them in. It is very easy to think the hairs on a hynoaspis are the " twin tailpipes " of a RA juvenile...

Dont be fooled like I was.One of the telltale differences is that a hynoaspis miles bug has an elongated head/proboscis., whereas the RA has a flatter head.

My question is this..Do you think its true that FF is introducing hynoaspis miles bugs into their soils to battle fungus gnat complaints?? I saw some rumors of such in my reasearch,and FF is the only common factor between my 1st and sec grow.

Attachments

• HYNOASPIS.jpeg
    HYNOASPIS.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 10
  • HM1.jpeg
    HM1.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 9
  • HM2.jpg
    HM2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 8
C

Carlos Danger

Good catch! Sorry it happened after the cuts, but live and learn. If I was FF using beneficial predators would seem a sensible solution. I'd call and just ask them if possible. Just don't mention the fungus gnat part, lol.

SirSteely

Carlos. Thanks for the comment. So sorry my fat fingers hit the wrong button when trying to like your post.

Mr. Krinkle

yup - i think they add them in there for fungus gnat control

other bagged soils ive seen with hypoaspis miles - roots organics original potting soil and EB Stones 420 Special

if you get the hypoaspis miles on your hands or arm, you'll feel them chomping on you lol