What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBD Approved for Childhood Epilepsy Study

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Full Article @ http://medicalmarijuanainc.com/inde...t-news/291-cbd-approved-for-epilepsy-research

CBD Approved for Childhood Epilepsy Study

Orrin Devinsky MD, Director of the Comprehensive Epilepsy Center at New York University, was recently awarded FDA approval to conduct a clinical trial that will study the safety and tolerability of cannabidiol (CBD) in children with epilepsy.
“At this point, I think we really lack much data,” said Devinsky, who points to promising results in animals, but says the real push came from the anecdotal evidence provided by parents in Colorado.
“I’ve spoken with these parents, and I think they’re solid, good, loving parents, who’ve had very good experiences. Whether this will be borne out by scientific studies is uncertain,” he said.

CBD research is finding its way into the news more often. As clinical trials on CBD and epilepsy continue to conducted on the substance, Dr. Alan Shackelford -- who oversaw the treatment of nine-month-old Kaitlyn Pogson's Dravet syndrome, a type of epilepsy that causes her to have 300 seizures per week (that's one about every half hour of every day) -- had this to say about administering high-CBD medical marijuana to the infant:
“The response was instantaneous,” Shackelford told the Star by telephone. “After the first dose, the seizures stopped … and she didn’t suffer a seizure for seven days.”

Charlotte now suffers one seizure every other week, Shackelford says, “a remarkable and heretofore unprecedented change.”

The key is a strain of marijuana that is high in the active substance Cannabidiol (CBD) but very low in THC, the chemical that gets you high.

Industrial hemp, a cousin to the marijuana plant that is legal to import and consume in the United States, is naturally high in CBD and very low in THC.

Have a look at all the clinical trials being conducted on CBD and epilepsy at PubMed, a service of the National Institutes of Health. Read the full article about Kaitlyn Pogson's plight and the potential of CBD at the Toronto Star.

Last edited:

saluki

ICMag Donor
This is amazing. Very informative and ground breaking. I am glad that the medical community will start conducting extensive research and studies into the medicinal properties of the cannabis plant.

I saw an amazing case on this new National Geographic series Weed Wars season 1 episode 1 where a father gives his young son, who is suffering from dravet's syndrome an extreme form of epilepsy, CBD tinctures. The results are phenomenal, the child used to suffer daily seizures and after the initial dose he went 4 days without having an episode!!

I actually just googled and found the article here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...on-gives-epileptic-son-Jayden-5-cannabis.html

It's very impressive and makes quite an impression especially when there is multimedia to go with it. Like they always say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Azhden

Charlotte now suffers one seizure every other week, Shackelford says, “a remarkable and heretofore unprecedented change.”

Is this the little girl from CO? If it is I think she is ~5 years old now and she is actually down to 1 seizure every month! I actually used to shop at the dispensary who supplied the strain for her meds, a great place in Colorado Springs called InDispensary, a 'family' own (a group of brothers) dispensary and they claim to "Take only what Charlotte's family can afford for her meds"!

If it wasn't such a long drive they would still be my "care givers". I really want to get the strain they "Re-named" Charlottes Web, 20%+ CBDs and under 1% THC, this is just what my cousin needs for his "brain trauma/inflammation" :)

Best wishes goes out for all the parents of children that suffer these horrible episodes, soon this plant (any high CDB MJ) will be available to help give their lives back to them.

saluki

ICMag Donor
Is this the little girl from CO? If it is I think she is ~5 years old now and she is actually down to 1 seizure every month! I actually used to shop at the dispensary who supplied the strain for her meds, a great place in Colorado Springs called InDispensary, a 'family' own (a group of brothers) dispensary and they claim to "Take only what Charlotte's family can afford for her meds"!

If it wasn't such a long drive they would still be my "care givers". I really want to get the strain they "Re-named" Charlottes Web, 20%+ CBDs and under 1% THC, this is just what my cousin needs for his "brain trauma/inflammation" :)

Best wishes goes out for all the parents of children that suffer these horrible episodes, soon this plant (any high CDB MJ) will be available to help give their lives back to them.

Holy cow 20% CBDs and such low THC, this is a godsend of a strain. This is now on the top of my cannabis list. I need to make it out to the west coast for some real BHO and to try charlottes webb. Tried to google didn't find much info about it tbh.:tumbleweed:

Azhden

Holy cow 20% CBDs and such low THC, this is a godsend of a strain. This is now on the top of my cannabis list. I need to make it out to the west coast for some real BHO and to try charlottes webb. Tried to google didn't find much info about it tbh.:tumbleweed:

It was also on CNN the other night, go to youtube and do a search for "CNN Weed: A Dr. Sanjay Gupta Special" don't remember the exact time the strain shows up in the special, its ~40 minutes long and a good watch IMO :biggrin:

and it was well over 20% CBDs (just shy of 29%! if memory serves) :woohoo:

Latest posts

Latest posts