What's new

Building a grow cabinet, would like some advice

Alrighty then fellow tokers ive come up with a master plan :woohoo:

Id like to construct a stealth micro grow out of this.
d13636db-29de-4497-b607-a92bf7842a02_300.jpg

interior dimensions: 27"x 27" x 10.5ish ( length x height x width )

ive attached a sketch of the plan i numbered each chamber to make it more simple

1. odor chamber w/ sealed maintenance door - 120mm 100 cfm pc pulling through a diy 4" carbon filter and cooling room 2.

2. electronics chamber with control panel for 2 timers and fan controller

3. flowering chamber - 120mm 100 cfm exhaust through 70w diy cool tube - dual 80mm intake fans - 80mm circulation fan.

4. 92w cfl fixture 3x 6700k bulbs and 1 2700k cooled by single 120mm pc fan with passive intake

5. add 4" baseboard to bottom of cabinet - houses air filter for intake air.

All of the fans will be controlled by a single computer fan controller from coolerguys.com has 6 different knobs with 4 different settings each for optimal cooling control - running off a single 120v 5000ma ac/dc power unit.

what do you guys think?

picture is sideways lol just tilt head to the left my bad i thought i edited that i guess that doesnt transfer over when you post a pic :tiphat:

forgot to mention
room 3 is 18" wide x 26" height - veg/mother
room 4 is 10" wide x 18" height - flowering
both 10" depth

OMG! please put a edit button on here. please. i look retarded or something lol

room 3 is the flowering room and room 4 is the veg/mother room

there sheesh

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
LOL, you have to become a regular member before they give you the edit button. I don't know how many posts that takes, though. At any rate, your specs seem fine, I think. I don't know much about the DIY filters and such, don't know how well they work with PC fans, but the idea you've worked up there is solid, and seems to replicate others' micro grows around here. I honestly don't even think it would be necessary for you to have a fan controller, though. Every time I've ever used PC fans on a small grow cab, I always ended up running them full blast, even when they had controller switches. FWIW.

I look forward to seeing your progress, and I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck to you!

Cabinet Ninja

Veteran
All looks good, but rather than using a HPS and CFLs for your lighting, you really should take a look at PL-L lighting. They're CFLs that are straight and long, rather than short and coiled - meaning a more efficient light distribution. Less heat/watt used as well!

i had a hydrofarm cfl fixture but it was to big for my grow box. i did how ever veg a plant for a week before returning it. was impressed by the difference in 125w compared to 92w. and like you said the bulb is more efficient. ill have to look into those, i would like to find smaller ones the size of the standard 23w cfl so i could still have a mixed spectrum of light within the small space. my mother cabinet is pretty small so i could probly only fit one of those 125watters in there.

i like the idea of a fan controller because during night time hours i can turn the fans down to just enough to keep fresh air flowing, plus i think it will help my fans live longer. they will be on 24/7 so it will be good to give them a break from full power. i was thinking about getting a ona block for odors but wasnt sure it would be enough to control afghan kush and sour diesel which are pretty stinky. i may just get the ona and have a filter as back-up.

i still dont know how i want to power my mother cabinet right now i have a ghetto powerstrip with plug in light sockets. i would like to wire up a fixture but my skills with wiring...well there not like my joint rolling skills im a pro at that.

ill make a build/grow log. its going to take some time. i want to use the best materials for this one. all my other grows are thrown together most expensive things being soil and mylar so this one i want to put some time and money into. ive budgeted 300$ for all the supplies and it should be up and running in time for the holidays

Its a solid plan. I have a suggestion that will give you a bigger flower room. Why not put your electronics in the odor chamber then use a 90° elbow after the filter/fan to vent out the back? This will give you a few more vertical inches in flower where you really want it.

Its a solid plan. I have a suggestion that will give you a bigger flower room. Why not put your electronics in the odor chamber then use a 90° elbow after the filter/fan to vent out the back? This will give you a few more vertical inches in flower where you really want it.

said it before i could post it. i revised my idea and deleted the electrical room. im just going to have the ballast for the 70w hps in the odor chamber and have my power strip with timers and fan controller sitting on top. i want to vent out the top, i would load the new plan but it looks like every other ngb style cabinet. btw what is NGB style cabinet anyways? is that a screen name or something whats up with that

No budd drying rack ....?

no im either going to use a storage tube with ventilation set-up or use my old grow box. im not sure how much space ill need to dry a oz of buds which is my goal. ive changed my mind on my growing method as well i think i want to do a sea of green in 5" sq pots so ill be able to get 6 decent sized plants in there compared to 2 using a 2g and scrog. i may do a run of both to have a yield comparison...i just want some nugs to smoke:dance013:

As far as I can tell it stands for NIMBY's Grow Box, but I haven't looked into the history further than the info in the sticky. The OG forums were before my time. Been more interested in the design than the designer to be completely honest.

those threads are awesome thanks

ive been looking into the sunburst mimi 150w hps instead of a diy cooltube, it would just be easier to set up and it would save me space in my utilities/odor cab since it has a built in ballast. i plan to use a 120mm/100 cfm with there cooling kit and the light exhaust will only be on when the lamp is on. Im going to have a seperate 120mm/100 cfm case fan for exhaust above the fixture to vent the heat from the ballast and room ventilation.

I still havent decided on wether i want to use a active intake or passive in the flowering cab. i feel since my grow space is so small and im using a 150w hps that i need a active intake to keep temps controlled.

what do you guys think? 8 x 2" pvc intakes or dual 120mm active intakes running at 1/3 the power the exhaust is running.

all fans ( besides the lamp exhaust ) will be controlled by this beauty http://www.coolerguys.com/840556100461.html
yhst-24067115789173_2270_212825783

went to the store yesturday to eyeball some cabinets and the 30x30x12 is too small, im going to get the 30x36x12 (LxHxW) this gives me more room in my mother cabinet for 3 moms since i like variety and more room in my flowering cabinet. i found some 4"w x 5 3/4" t sq pots , with these i can fit 8 plants in my flowering chamber which is 10"w x 20"l x 30" h.
yhst-24067115789173_2270_212825783

and i forgot to mention i found a sweet deal on a PL-L lighting from 1000bulbs.com ,comes with 2 42w PL-L lamps and ballast for 39$ plus s/h.
67954_16fb340abb4af17c2d59d2cbf410b3696ccabc68_original_x_323_1336192472.jpg

this will be my mother cabinet lighting using 2700k and 6500k bulbs. its only 84w at 6400L but thats the same as my current poor mans cfl grow light except im using 92 watts to acheive the same light output so its more efficient and saves space :woohoo:

Latest posts

Latest posts