What's new

Vacuum pump mineral oil vapors in closed quaters

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
I have been meaning to make this thread for a long time as I have noticed many people run their pumps indoors without a filter for the exhaust or proper air flow to help disperse the mineral oil vapors. I even see people running their pumps inside grows within feet of plants and just cringe at the fact of mineral oil getting all over the buds.

If you look up lipid pneumonia, you will see that this is due to inhalation of fatty substances, most cases of this type of pneumonia are of people using mineral oil as a laxative. Now I know these people are drinking this, but you inhale quite a bit of it with your pump running in small rooms with no airflow, so to some extent will produce the same problems in the lungs.

Here is a link on lipid pneumonia

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2219803/

I haven't ran my pump inside for long time, but I do outside a window with the chamber inside, just outside all together or with a proper mask to avoid inhalation in room with good airflow and filter.

Just a tip for some of you health conscious oil makers that care about your lungs.

Have good one everybody and stay safe.

FatherEarth

Veteran
When I run the vac indoors, its in a separate room door closed and window open. I set the pump on a step ladder and point the exhaust towards the window so when I reach in to flip the switch off I only need put my arm in and close the door again.
Pneumonia can be from getting just about anything foreign in your lungs in large enough quantities, some things it doesnt take much. I wasnt aware there was a lipid pneumonia, but it is certainly logical. I have an organic vapor respirator on when doing anything I feel may be hazardous to my lungs. From ACT spraying, IPM, to compost turning or mixing soils, Ive got my respirator on. Some think Im overly cautious, but why gamble with your lungs is how I see it...

3M 60923

Ive been wondering about this too, I asked a clerk at RSD if they used filters on their vacuum pumps and he said they just put a large piece of foam over the exhaust if they are running it inside but since A/C units are usually outside they hardly ever use them. The only pumps i have seen with a filter are these from AI

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A valid concern. Check out the Mineral Oil MSDS.

Section 11: Toxicological Information

Routes of Entry: Absorbed through skin. Eye contact.

Toxicity to Animals:

LD50: Not available. LC50: Not available.

Chronic Effects on Humans: CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: 3 (Not classifiable for human.) by IARC.

Other Toxic Effects on Humans:

Slightly hazardous in case of ingestion. Non-irritant for skin. Non-hazardous in case of inhalation.

Special Remarks on Toxicity to Animals: Not available.

Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans:

Highly refined mineral oils are not classified as human carcinogens. However, related forms (untreated and mildly-treated oils used in metal machining, mule spinning and jute processing) are listed as human carcinogens by both IARC (group 1) and
NTP

Special Remarks on other Toxic Effects on Humans:

Potential Health Effects: Skin: This product is not expected to cause any skin irritation upon direct single or repeated and prolonged contact. However, similar chemical compositon products applied to the skin of lab animals resulted in minimal
to slight dermal irritation.

Eyes: May cause mild (minimal) eye irritation.

Inhalation: May cause respiratory tract irritation with coughing and shortness of breath. This product has a low vapor pressure and is not expected to present an inhalation hazard at ambient conditions.

Caution should be taken to prevent aerosolization or misting. If aspiration occurs, it may lead to chemical pneumonitis which is characterized by pulmonary edema and hemorrhage and may be fatal. Signs of lung involvement include increased respiratory rate, increased heart rate, and bluish discoloration of the skin. Coughing, choking and gagging are often noted at the time of aspiration Ingestion: Ingestion is relatively non-toxic unless aspiration occurs.

It has laxative properties and may cause gastrointestinal tract discomfort, abdominal cramps, vomiting and diarrhea.

Exposure to a large single dose, or repeated small doses by inhalation, aspiration or ingestion leading to aspiration can lead to lipid pneumonia or lipid granuloma. These are low-grade, chronic localized tissue reactions which are not fatal.

Latest posts

Latest posts