What's new

DIY PVC 4x8 Stand With Wheels!

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
This will just be a quick tutorial on how I built my new stands to support my 4x8 ebb and flow trays.

After looking into wood, metal, bricks lol and pvc I decided to go with pvc.

I needed to have wheels on it so I could move it around for easy access to all plants.

Metal stands at the hydro shop looked the best but at over $200 a pop I figured I could make something close.

Parts list:

8-10 foot lengths of 1 1/4" pvc
4-1 1/4" 3 way pvc corner
4-1 1/4" slip tee
2 1 1/4" 4 way pvc corner
6 1 1/4" caster caps
6 7/16" stem casters(wheels)

For cutting the pvc to length I tried pvc snips and a reciprocating saw before finally getting out the best option.

picture.php

This miter saw made the job very easy!

So for my table I went with 44" cross bars and 8 sections of 18.175" to connect the cross bars.

Also went with very short legs as I needed all the head room I could get. I went with a 3" differential from one side to the other and that may be a bit much. I may change it to 1 1/2" or something.

Anyway here is the pvc all cut up.

picture.php

And here are the connectors I will use in the position they will be used.

picture.php

Continued...

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Okay, so here are the pieces up close. The 3 and 4 way and caster caps were all ordered on line. Not common plumbing pvc.

3 way corner.

picture.php

4 way corner.

picture.php

Caster cap.

picture.php

Regular slip tee.

picture.php

2" poly caster with 7/16" slip stem.

picture.php

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
The casters have a "locking" mechanism that forms a perfect fit with the caps.

picture.php

Push down until there is resistance.

picture.php

Then push a bit harder and it will snap in with a click and be locked in.

picture.php

We are now ready to assemble.

picture.php

With 4x8 tray.

picture.php

Last edited:

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Fill with plants and call it a day!

picture.php

No more of dealing with this shit.

picture.php

And all the saucers can finally be retired.

picture.php

Hope this helps someone trying to decide if pvc is right for them. I would do it again in a heartbeat! It glides so smooth and will make my life so much easier around the garden.

I'll try to come up with a cost for each table later today. Right now it's breakfast time!

Sweet DIY post. You made it easy to follow with great pics. I'm sure this will help people looking to make there own table stands.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
nice work, exactly what I need and I bet it was a heck of a lot less than $200

Thanks Lee I'm gonna say $75 a piece.

Sweet DIY post. You made it easy to follow with great pics. I'm sure this will help people looking to make there own table stands.

Thank you. I realized I didn't get any pics of the actual piece by piece construction but I figure that's pretty easy to come up with.

Got another one to assemble this afternoon, should take 30 minutes including cutting.

nice tables! Love the casters, hard plastic ones SUCK.
Didn't know you were building 'lowrider' tables. :D
Nice clean setup!

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
nice tables! Love the casters, hard plastic ones SUCK.
Didn't know you were building 'lowrider' tables. :D
Nice clean setup!

Thanks man! Yeah I actually chopped the legs after the first couple pics were taken. Went from 6" on the short side to 3".

Right now the legs are 3", 4.5" and 6".

I think that is too much slope(water runs to one side of the airpots) so I'm gonna change em to like 3", 3 1/2" 4".

Be puttin switches on soon so I can hit the three wheel motion.:biggrin:

maxmurder

Veteran
thanx for sharin pvc is rad. 1/4" per foot of fall is building code for drains so on my 3x3 tray i make the drain side 3/4" shorter.:biggrin: i also like how you used pvc for your stands for the reflective curtins. do you have the link for the castor caps? i had no idea there was such a cool item.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
thanx for sharin pvc is rad. 1/4" per foot of fall is building code for drains so on my 3x3 tray i make the drain side 3/4" shorter.:biggrin: i also like how you used pvc for your stands for the reflective curtins. do you have the link for the castor caps? i had no idea there was such a cool item.

I was wondering about different slopes. I looked up gutters and saw they only recommend 1/4" every 10 feet of travel, so I think 1 1/2" over 8 feet should be plenty. Maybe I'll go 2" and be code.:biggrin:

I'll also have some 4x4 trellis made out of pvc as well. 2 per table cause I'm going to do a 4 plant rotation every 2 weeks or so.

2 tables, 4 trellis, pulling four plants/one light at a time.

Here's that link although I got mine on ebay from this same company.

The casters were found at Menards.

http://www.formufit.com/

Thanks man, This is awesome. They don't sell those types of corners and other pieces at Home depot or other places. These would be great for homemade tents as well. Nice 1.

maxmurder

Veteran
thanx for the link i just bookmarked it.
yep same same on the trellis.
yep familiar with the rotation- every 15 days you cut clones, transplant the ones you took 15 days ago- take the veged plants into the flowering room and trim the ones you just pulled out. its nice if something goes wrong you don't loose a whole room, your not having to keep as many moms, you don't have a whole room to trim at once, you have new smoke every 2 weeks. fuckin clockwork. right on third coast.