What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VW TDI fans,, I Know I'm not alone Here.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Just Real quick, for now.
My Wife wanted a Freaking Old Beetle when we were Married 26yrs ago.
I managed to not be seen in a Beetle for the better part of the first 25.

I explained to her the nature of an air cooled engine in an IOWA WINTER,,, NOT enough HEAT to thaw the frost from the inside of the windshield.

Oh did I say,,, Quick for now???
Oh Well....

So about a year or so ago,, the Wifes 2001 Merc. Mountaineer was needing replaced.

Ah shit the Beetle talk starts again, She starts looking at New Style Beetles, and I tell her there is just no way I could ever fit in a beetle.
I am 6'4" and at the thme was around 375-80lbs.
And them things are GUTTLESS,,, I will get RUN OVER trying to get on the Interstate.

Several monts go by, and she has test driven a few Beetles....
She swares I WILL fit in a Beetle...
I am adamant,,, I am not Driving one those GUTTLESS Wonders no matter if I can fit.

Then she pulls the UMmmm... I found a BEETlE with a TDI.(Turbo Diesel),And they get like 42mpg.

Her Moutaineer got 15-16, My 2000 GMC 454 4x4 gets 13mpg(if I baby it).

With the miles we drive , the math added up REAL QWICK

I Do fit VERY well, and taken several 900mi. trips in it to Southern Co.
With out the TDI these trips would be so out of reach simply due to
$$$$.

The German engineering is so user friendly.
This is a VERY FUN car to drive.
The Luaghs I get when passers by peep the Wooly assed old Hillbilly
Rocking HARD in THA BUG,,, WELL those are PRICELE$$.

Pluss, you can set your large pizzas in the dash, and they ride GR8!!!

I would Still have rather she found a 2door GTI TDI,, But Oh Man am I ever a TDI Fan for LIFE.

Peace; 1TT

watts

ohms
Veteran
is it a diesel? you can convert it to run on waste vegetable oil. google greasecar if interested.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
The TDI has been a great little engine for a long time. One thing about VW is when they find a good thing they work the kinks out of it instead of changing everyfuckingthing everyfuckingyear.

The new bug looks as funny as the old bug did in a way. You like it or you don't.

Beats walking

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Thx for handling that fo Me,I was not sure how to w/o being RUDE,,Heheh(like I care).
I never cared 1 way or the other bout Beetles,Could take them or leave them.
I just could really never see Myself in 1.
Like I said it is a fun car to drive, I fit, its CHEAP to drive, and OH YA,,,, I am WAY past giving a SHIY what any one thinks.
The car is Cyber Green, we put a black rally stripe on it. It already had a black rally strip running parallel with the ground, this strip has a TRB logo at the rear of the stripe.
The Wife wants me to put a spoiler on the back for her, but we have not settled on which one yet.
I don't like the factory option spoiler AT ALL.

The Upgrades on these VW's are ENDLESS,,,, Bigger turbos. Exaus , Chips,innercoolers.
These are just a few under the hood options.

Suspension upgrades from simply swapping out sway bars from Passat/Jettas, all the way to Full on Coil over setups.

I put a Panzer skid plate on it, just look on the web at how THIN these TDI ooil pans are.
The Factory PLASTIC s/p would not hold up to running over a raccoon, so It had to go.

The next upgrade will be a short throw shifter kit,(under $200)The shifter is a little sloppy for My taste.
It had 97000mi on it when we bought it, it is around 120k now, so I guess a little slopp is to be expected.

When we get this one paid for, I am going to look for a 2door GTI/TDI for My personal CHEAP driver.

Eights N Aces
Thx. For stopping in. I don't have any history with VW's, but I am a Fan. Fo Sho!

PEACE; 1TT

watts

ohms
Veteran
pardon me, I didn't read it thoroughly. I was reading recently how good TDI engines are for converting to run on waste vegetable oil..

Anyways, i'm the same height and I sat in a beetle once and found it surprisingly roomy also, from what i remember. Glad you are happy with it.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
No worries watts,, just busting tour BALLZ a little.
I seen a show on 4x4,or Trucks 1 of those shows.
They used a Samurl/Geo tracker put a TDI paired with Toyota 4runner transfer cases and drive line to build a respectable rock crawler.
It had a 5 gal. fuel tank 2.5 for diesel and 2.5gal.waste veg. oil Wheeled ALL DAY on 5gal total diesel + veg oil = $20 or less,,,, that's CHEAP fun.

I tease the wife bout totaling her beetle so I can salvage the TDI 4 My next project,,, She doesn't see the humor in this.
God help me if I actually do total it. Lol.

PEACE; Twisted

yeahwhat

I'm fond of German quality myself. But, as a professional auto tech, they are a pain to work on. VW TDIs rock, though. 40-50 mpg and rubber in 3 or 4 gears. BTW, Twisted- Be glad you're runnin' a BB. Dunno if you're aware, but an LS series 6.0L gets 10 mpg or less on average.... not pulling anything.