What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clone Machine SbS, EZ Cloner, Power Cloner, and Rainforest.

S

SooperSmurph

With my soil trial concluded, i'll have the time to start collecting data on the several different clone machines i've acquired over the course of the last year.

We'll run each of the three different cloners using the same cloning solution brand and rate (Clonex, 20ml / Gallon, Aquashield 5ml / Gallon), and we'll be watching example cuttings from the strain Blue Dream.

Units are: EZ Cloner 30 Original, Botanicare Power Cloner 45, GH Rainforest 36.

Each clone machine will be equipped with a single airstone that will run perpetually, sprayers will run on a cycle of 1 minute On, 3 minutes Off.

Target Ph range is 5.5-6.3

All three machines are currently being cleaned with Bleach and Peroxide, this side by side will start in 1 week unless you fellows present ideas or corrections that require incorporation.
The Power Cloner and EZ Cloner produced more roots, faster.

The EZ Cloner examples are just slightly healthier as of day 16, giving me the confidence to declare it the winner, with the Power Cloner as a very close 2nd, and the Rainforest bringing up the rear.

ChemDgMillionre

Veteran
Cool.. I was about to purchase another ez cloner.... Maybe this thread will get me thinking about a different brand.

dsd1

I used both the ezcloner and turboklone for years. I had 2 of each both 120+ sites and they both worked well. I ran all 4 at the same time and I now use nothing but rockwool cubes in trays the old fashion way and love the simplicity. If you plan on only using a small cloner with under 30 sites then they are great, but the bigger ones are a waste of money lots of water lots of cleaning. Issues I had to figure out was controlling water temps in summer with frozen 2 liters. Also I had to figure out why my clones would die in the summer which was the result of bacteria from the summer heat. Using Ez Clone Clear Rez fixed that problem. Get a digital temp gauge to monitor the water anything over 80 cause bacteria and issues. In the winter when I first started to use them I would just set it and forget it and it would get cold in my house low 50's at night. The pump running 24/7 kept the water temp perfect, but in summer it heats up the water to much.

I ran the pumps on many different cycles but 24/7 worked best for me. I also ran all my T12 on 24/7 at different distance and it never made a difference. As far as rooting hormones botanicare power cloner LIQUID solution worked best for me after I tried everything out there on the market. I would just add a cloning solution nothing else sometimes nothing at all. If it is possible get a humidifier and keep the humidity as high as possible in your clone room at all times. My clones never ever wilted from the day I cut them because of all the humidity, but it did rust some stuff in my room lol. In the end the strain will depict root development I would have some clones pop a root in 5 days other 10 days. Hope this information helps you out good luck!

S

SooperSmurph

24/7 running of the water pump typically causes the high temps that bring about bacterial infections, in my experience.

Also, I actually like a low-humidity environment for machine clones, it helps them harden faster and makes for less shock when they're transplanted, so they stay in the larger veg area.

Because summer is coming, I anticipated problems with bacteria / algae, so I took the extra precaution of including AquaShield in the base nutrient rather than as a later correction for rot.

Thanks for the input and for stopping by, now let's compare some hardware!

Here are some shots of the EZ Cloner setup, the manifold features seventeen 360° sprayers set into the center of the reservoir.

The pump is sturdy and has adjustable flow but does not come with a sediment filter.

Next we have the Botanicare Power Cloner 45.

This unit features twelve [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]180° sprayers set along the perimeter of the reservoir, and a non adjustable pump which includes a sediment filter.[/FONT]

S

SooperSmurph

Here we see the Rainforest sprayer, its unique but effective design centers around a simple spinning disc with 4 slots that allow water to be thrown out along the disc, creating a fine spray.

It has a very low power draw, making it the most energy efficient of the three, I could easily run 6 or more of these units on a single 10A cycle timer.

The main disadvantage is the large reservoir, 15 gallons for 36 cuttings is a bit inefficient compared to the 5 gallon reservoir on both the other units.

S

SooperSmurph

And we're off! Each machine has its cuttings and is humming along.

Left to right we have the Power Cloner, Rainforest, and EZ Cloner Day 1 Root View images. Top views on the next post.

Note: In the EZ Cloner, we have 25 total Blue Dream cuttings, we'll be looking at those cuttings which are leftmost in the image, so that they correspond with their less numerous counterparts in the other machines.

We'll do images every 3 days, top and bottom, and extras for any developments that happen between updates.

S

SooperSmurph

Once again showing left to right, Power Cloner, Rainforest, EZ Cloner.

Power Cloner examples are showing just a bit of leftover leaf curl from a heavy Azamax spraying a couple days ago (60ml / gallon), wanted to wait for this curl to disappate before taking the new clones but we're behind as it is, and as long as I don't do something stupid like spray them again, they should be fine.

S

SooperSmurph

Day 4 updates! Images below listed left to right: Power Cloner, Rainforest, EZ Cloner.

Top view of the three machines at day 4, EZ Cloner examples seem the most vigorous, reaching for the sky while the others lag slightly.

S

SooperSmurph

Bottom view of the three machines.

Once again shown left to right, Power Cloner, Rainforest, EZ Cloner.

No interesting developments as of yet, ph has been stable in all 3 units.

mack 10

Veteran
great thread, always liked the look of the rainforest.
results will be interesting...
mack.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Power Cloner examples are showing just a bit of leftover leaf curl from a heavy Azamax spraying a couple days ago (60ml / gallon), wanted to wait for this curl to disappate before taking the new clones but we're behind as it is, and as long as I don't do something stupid like spray them again, they should be fine.

So the Power Cloner cuttings had a heavy Azamax spraying and cuttings in the other two cloners were untreated? I think you now have a valid side by side experiment to compare the difference in performance of the EZ Cloner and GH Rainforest, but you've effectively removed the Power Cloner from the experiment by treating it's cuttings differently from the others.

S

SooperSmurph

So the Power Cloner cuttings had a heavy Azamax spraying and cuttings in the other two cloners were untreated? I think you now have a valid side by side experiment to compare the difference in performance of the EZ Cloner and GH Rainforest, but you've effectively removed the Power Cloner from the experiment by treating it's cuttings differently from the others.
You should probably wait for the answer to a question before making conclusions regarding it, but to each their own.

Everyone receives heavy Azamax in my garden, period, the Power Cloner examples were taken with a shorter period between the spraying and the actual taking of the clones, resulting in some curl still being visible at the time of cutting, this curl has almost entirely dissipated as of day 4 and the examples are humming along like their sisters in the other machines.

If the Azamax had shown any negative effects in the clones like wilting, crisping, etc, the examples would have been pulled and replaced with a small delay.

If you feel this small procedural faux pas is worth ignoring the Power Cloner data over, you're of course entitled to do so, but all the same thanks for stopping by!

A

Alone

Ive used the EZ-Clone 120 for years and years. I LOVE IT!
The cuts continue to grow while rooting in the EZ-C. They stay vigorous and green and there is no t/p shock or "stall" when planted into the desired medium. They just keep on growing. Love it! Usually get a 98% -100% rooting average depending on strain.
This is a good thread SooperSmurph.
I changed the original air pump and hose. I got 16" bubble stones because the stupid black bubble hose with tiny holes in it didnt work very well and the holes clogged up all the time. I lost a whole batch of cuts to stem rot from the stagnant water. I didnt notice the hose wasnt bubbling for like 5 days. Once I got a bigger duel output airpump and 2 16" bubble stones, the cuttings now take off like race cars.
Ready for T/P after 10 days~
picture.php

Older pic to show results after 8 days with the Critical+ cuts in EZ-C 120~
picture.php

Just put into the cloner ~
picture.php

THIS IS WHAT 2 PURPS CLONES LOOKED LIKE RIGHT OUT OF THE EZ-CLONER AND INTO A 5GLN GROW BAG. (notice dates)
I cant imagine a clone machine giving me better results than this. Look how big and healthy these clones are. Thats a clone that will produce a big, healthy, vigorous garden. I dont use those tiny cuts. I only use the big, thick, healthy branches~
picture.php

Not trying to highjack your thread. Im just showing you why I'de put my bet on the EZ-CLONE 30 over all others.
I just think IMVHO that the EZ-Clone series (30/60/120) is the best on the market today. I dont think I could get better results.
It meets all criteria for a cloner at 100% efficiency (w/ the upgrades). With your thread, doing a side x side experiment, Im extremely interested in your results.
If there is a better cloner than the EZ-C...I need it.....today.

Last edited:
S

SooperSmurph

I changed the original air pump and hose. I got 16" bubble stones because the stupid black bubble hose with tiny holes in it didnt work very well and the holes clogged up all the time. I lost a whole batch of cuts to stem rot from the stagnant water. I didnt notice the hose wasnt bubbling for like 5 days.
Me too! Nothing but problems with the black perforated line, I switched it out for a spherical ceramic air stone, but I didn't have problems with the air pump itself so that I kept.

Thanks for your input, and for stopping by!

sunset limited

Veteran
cool project. thanks.
not sure if there's going to be a pool, but here's my shit opinion. i predict that there is littlle appreciable difference in the viability of cuts in the rainforest and the ez clone. i further predict that the power cloner will finish a distant 3rd, probably because the cuts were more stressed than the others.

S

SooperSmurph

cool project. thanks.
not sure if there's going to be a pool, but here's my shit opinion. i predict that there is littlle appreciable difference in the viability of cuts in the rainforest and the ez clone. i further predict that the power cloner will finish a distant 3rd, probably because the cuts were more stressed than the others.
So far, EZ Clone seems to be winning, Power Cloner seems to be in 2nd, and the Rainforest clones, while not showing any wilting or stress, have shown the least progress.

Day 7 images being added as you read.

Also, not entirely sure people are reading, because, again, all the clones received a heavy Azamax dose before being cut, the difference was in the period of time between when the spray was done and when the cuts were made, the examples in the Rainforest and EZ Cloner both had 4 days of recovery time after being sprayed, while the Power Cloner examples recovered for only 2 days before being cut.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
... the difference was in the period of time between when the spray was done and when the cuts were made, the examples in the Rainforest and EZ Cloner both had 4 days of recovery time after being sprayed, while the Power Cloner examples recovered for only 2 days before being cut.

That's what we're talking about.

Now let's see what happens.
smile.gif