What's new

I want wax/honeycomb but I keep getting shatter!

So im trying to get the vac purge down psi 27-29 my griddle is set at 150° the water the chamber is sitting in is at 100-110° wax is at 80-82°. Keep getting shatter ,why??

CannabisTHC

You mean your shatter is at 80-82? Since you haven't gotten to wax? At 80-82 I doubt your even purging all of the butane from the shatter, the shatter needs to be closer to 115-120 to allow the shatter to be malleable enough to release all of the butane. In order to make wax your going to need to go even higher for a lot longer.

KushConnection

you just need to whip and apply heat for wax... honestly idk why you would even bother with wax if you are getting good shatter... shatter will always be a cleaner product and i dont care what anyone says. shatter that eventually budders or waxes on you is just due to moisture and premature trichomes in the initial process...

You mean your shatter is at 80-82? Since you haven't gotten to wax? At 80-82 I doubt your even purging all of the butane from the shatter, the shatter needs to be closer to 115-120 to allow the shatter to be malleable enough to release all of the butane. In order to make wax your going to need to go even higher for a lot longer.

It purges since I run it 6-8 hrs. Ive been lead to believe that you can purge at low heat but takes longer .

Yeah we got alot of pineapple so were blastin it.

What kind of pineapple? Chunk?, Express, or something I don't even know exsists?
The original pineapple bro
you just need to whip and apply heat for wax... honestly idk why you would even bother with wax if you are getting good shatter... shatter will always be a cleaner product and i dont care what anyone says. shatter that eventually budders or waxes on you is just due to moisture and premature trichomes in the initial process...

My friend told me the same thing, just to keep on with the shatter and not worry about wax. but I like the honey comb texture

Here's a pic of my shatter

Attachments

• 817.jpeg
    817.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 11

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
Please tell me more about the original pineapple. I'm a wicked strain whore, and I love finding out everything I can about strains that interest me.

Please tell me more about the original pineapple. I'm a wicked strain whore, and I love finding out everything I can about strains that interest me.

I'm not too sure since it's a older strain that was grown by a friend . But I believe that it's the one they crossed a bunch of stuff with to make all the strains you mentioned

CarefulGrower

I get shatter every time by water purging, then heat purging at 120 degrees.

The vac is a final touch, too long in vac, it waxes up. Higher temp, faster waxing, but faster loss of terpenes/thc due to degradation. 140 i the number (If i remember right) not to go above to avoid terpene loss but I could be wrong.

I get shatter every time by water purging, then heat purging at 120 degrees.

The vac is a final touch, too long in vac, it waxes up. Higher temp, faster waxing, but faster loss of terpenes/thc due to degradation. 140 i the number (If i remember right) not to go above to avoid terpene loss but I could be wrong.

Its 130 you don't want to go past . Maybe I should try vacN for longer increase the heat a little bit see what happens

OGShush

You should be able to reliably produce wax by keeping the temperature in your chamber lower than the boiling point of water at whatever hg/in you are pulling. This table should help you: http://www.jbind.com/pdf/Cross-Reference-of-Boiling-Temps.pdf I agree with your friend though. I have been making BHO for a few years now and wax is definitely an inferior result. The local testing place in MI has their best waxes at like 70% but there are sap and shatter samples testing well over that.

Shatter will NEVER wax over if done right. Anything that waxes over wasn't warm enough during purge to fully release water vapor and butane. IMO a vacuum is key for producing shatter because it allows you to lower the boiling point of water to damn near room temperature. We'd never be able to purge water otherwise because it's boiling point (212) would result in a darboxylated product. That isn't to say you can't produce shatter without a vacuum. You would just do so by keeping the viscosity of the oil low enough for long enough to allow evaporation of the water to occur. Many ways to skin a cat my friends, doesn't matter how you do it as long as the result is smooth shatter. I break mine off and bend it around the dabber by hand. I have to set the dabber down gently or *tink* the shatter belongs to the floor now. If you can find it you can smoke it, dirt does not seem to stick to it at room temp (70F in my room).

SirSkunk

That's the truth