What's new

3550w perlite/coco PPK 3rd attempt

farmari

My first attempt at PPK is linked in my sig. That was all coco.
Second attempt had the same design as the first, but gnats took over and all but killed the plants.

For my third attempt, I'm using the back 3ft of a 9ft wide room. 3 plants. Each plant will hopefully grow into a 3x3ft area. Two of them have a 1 gal coco root ball, with perlite filling the rest of the 2/3 gal containers.

Perlite in the wicks. Air gap I cannot accurately measure but perlite doesn't wick nearly as much as coco. With coco the air gap was probably close to 4" this perlite seems to need 2" or less.

I still don't have a cycle timer. Manually turning pump on for a wave feed, frequency varies obviously but 0-3 times a day.

I'd imagine a drip ring would be much better than the feed I have set up, with perlite this is probably a lot more important than coco. Each container has 3-4 feed lines, 1/4" tubing.

Using .1-.2 EC tap water with Ionic nutes and GH PH Down, no other additives, to bring the solution around 1.0-1.5 EC and 5.5-6.5 PH. This has worked well for me for over a year now. Ionic Grow for veg and Ionic Bloom when buds form +20 days into flowering.

Yellow gnat traps on the containers work great. The largest plant probably lost much of its root mass to gnats... when I first put a gnat trap down it caught +100 within hours. Since that and Bt, it started to recover and grow again.

In the future I'll likely use either all perlite, or else all coco with a perlite wick. If not for gnats, the coco growth rate in PPK can be great, but the wicks can get clogged. Or, one half dead plant from my 2nd attempt had a wick not properly packed, and there was dead air space in the wick when harvested. Main downside that I know of so far with using perlite is not being able to do a saturation pulse with PPKs.

Currently just two plants. The third is in veg still, hopefully ready in 10-20 days.

The tomato cage is 2' diameter and the pvc trellis thingy is just under 3ft wide.

I'd prefer not to have 1 plant per 10sq ft of canopy... better results with more plants. My preference is 4 plants in a 3x3ft or 4x4ft square. (well, preferably SOG but my medical count doesn't allow that) But this is all that my clone/veg performance allowed me.

The lighting is like this...
if each number is a 3x3ft space, 9x6ft total. There is a plant under 1, 2, and 3.
1 and 3 have 600w lamps.
2 has 1150w. (Gavita)
4 and 6 have 600w lamps with the reflectors angled at the plants.
5 is empty.
This gives each plant at least 3 significant angles of light, not including reflection off the walls. Each plant gets the equivalent of nearly 1200w.
Which is over 100w/sq ft though plenty of light gets wasted.

Photo is from day 1 of 12/12.

I have no idea how this will turn out. I have numerous crop failures under my belt.

Feel free to ask any questions :)

picture.php

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Signing in.

I'm giving coco a shot right now in my 1st PPK run. I would have liked to go turface but couldn't source it at the time I needed to load the system.

Struggled with some deficiencies of some sort, but things looking up now. Hopefully I don't run into any clogged tailpieces. I'm running all atami coco with only a small sprinkle of perlite into each tailpieces before filling.

Ya certainly got enough watts for those ladies & our enjoyment. Will be rooting for ya.

farmari

Hey FlowerFarmer, thanks for stopping in!

If anything clogs just drill some holes and all should be well. All of my buckets are swiss cheese from my coco grows. I don't know why your plants were having those early problems but seems to have picked up well. I have a number of threads to catch up on this week and yours is one of them.

Anyway I had camera troubles last week but here are some updated photos.

Really stupid of me not to be calibrating my PH meters often enough. Both of them were reading -.5ish lower than they should have, so the plants were getting 6.5-7.0ph solution for God knows how long! Ugh. I think that and being too conservative on pruning cost me a lot these first two weeks. All the useless inside growth not getting light costs the plant a lot of energy. I wished for a much better stretch than this for the left and center plants. Oh well, they perked up with the PH adjustment and seem pretty healthy.

Overall view:

picture.php

Left plant, 17 days 12/12:

picture.php

Middle plant, 17 days 12/12:

picture.php

Right plant, 4 days 12/12:

picture.php

My veg tent is all perlite now, hand watered, mostly hempy buckets. Perlite solo cups for cloning worked well. If my AC/ventilation can handle it, I might add more plants in a couple weeks. :)

I'm nervous about how this grow will go as 3 of my last 5 crops have been total failures! But am trying and hoping that everything goes smoothly.

farmari

Hey flat9, sorry all I didn't update this. Ended up being really busy last summer.

This didn't go so well. I was using two PH pens but neglected to calibrate them and they both went out of sync by the same amount so the PH was too high late in flowering. Lights off humidity was too high I think and I lost probably half a pound or more to rot.

The middle plant got seeded somehow so I harvested it at 50 days before the seeds could grow. Only got 11 ounces from that.

The left side plant ended up with 22 ounces.

The right side plant yielded 16 ounces.

I added an extra plant early on, which harvested just 8.5 ounces a month after the other three.

So just 0.38gpw , 1.75 ounces per sq ft of canopy. 3 lbs from 3550 (?) watts. I try to always using the 60 days of 12/12 for calculating gpw for comparing my results. Flowering room stays on 12/12 almost 365.

The months after this continued in a perpetual manner with varied but overall mediocre results. Being neglectful of the grow and especially not properly taking care of the veg tent caused a lot of problems. Cloning failures and overvegging.

I hate perlite dust, awful stuff, and hate diatomite dust, and am not Alien Dawg so I don't have the mad indoor turface screening skills, ;) so am going back to coco for 2014. Too many problems cloning have me delayed a month. I'll make a new thread for the upcoming grow, hoping to have plants thriving like I did in my first PPK attempt :)

Latest posts

Latest posts