What's new

sound proofing room and room design

greenbeen

so this thread i started becuase my mom just bought a new house that whey are going to be renting out... there will be 2 tenants living there. 1) myself in the basement and 2) unknown tenant.

i will be helping my mom and what not with the layout of the basement apt... with saying this she will not need to know i will be growing and same with the tenants....

the room will most likely be 10' x 12' and i will prob just be using tents for the convenionce of taking them down if needed.

i have a 4' x 4' right now so ill be keeping that
i was thinking another 4x4 and also a 6x4
so in total i will have 3 tents 2 for flowering and one as a veg tent

things i would like to find out

1) how to make it sound proof so the tenants above cant hear fans or smell anything

2) how to exaust the carbon filtered air... there is a window in the room i maybe able to use but its right near the back door and not sure how to make it look not suspicious

3) i will most likely want to run res i may have 2 or 3 in the room and would like to set up a system where i can water them 1-2 times a day with little work (i was thinking a pump of some type?)

4) how many amp fuse should i try and get wired into the room

thing i have
1) i have 1 hps light with balest can go up to 1kw, i have a 4 foot badboy t5 lighting system and i have a 150 mh light

2) have 2- 6" inline fans

3) a 4x4 tent
4) carbon filter cam..something not to sure on the size tho but does a 4x4 good
5)i have some fans as well

things a need

1) i think i would like a bigger carbon filter so i can just get everything fitered
2) 6x6 and a 4x4 tent
3) tubing for exahust

other ideas of things i can do would be helpfull or i need

greenbeen

we get the house on june 14th and renovations will be for the basement 1st than they will start on the up stairs apt so this project will prob be for about 2-4 months down the road when the basement is finished and than i can move in

intotheunknown

Veteran
eh thats a tough one. that would give me anxiety beyond belief!

anyway... a couple of suggestions from me...

-insulated ducting will help reduce noise quite a bit. they also make mufflers.

-fan speed controllers will help out with noise if you can reduce the fan's speed.

-also insulating your fans and insulating the fan's mounts will help (whether it be bungies, or rubber insulation in between whatever you have it mounted to.

-ive found that ballasts will make some good noise, and to fix that use insulation on what its mounted to, or sitting on...

if you are running a 1k, my suggestion would be to run a 15A breaker for just the 1k alone. then whatever else you need to run, add that as well, separately.

hope that helps!

LeeROI

Depending on the architecture, a slightly oversized dryer vent is inconspicuous for the exhaust. Typical is 4"; I used a pair of 6" and a wye for good flow. Inline duct ozone is there (Blue something brand) for backup to the carbon filter.

I'd use 12 gauge wire and a 20 amp circuit breaker although the suggestion above is fine:

15 amps * 80% = 12 amps constant load available

1000 watts / 120 volts = 8.3 amps Assuming a mag ballast, round up to 9 amps and you still have 360 watts to play with.

With the 15A breaker you can save a bit by using 14 gauge wire.

greenbeen

the reason why it wont really give me to much anxiety is because i grew in my apt this whole year and when the door was closet in my room you could barley hear the humming of fans and people have been in my apt and gone right by the door and doesnt ask anything and noone seemed to know but i was not sure about the people above me tho... the basement will be a finished basement so all walls will be insulated, the ground will be concrete (old apt all the walls were concrete or pretty much all)

i will try and get a 30 amp at least for that room ill say becuase of my fish tanks i may stick them in there for a fish room....
i maybe running 1k for the 6x4 and prob 1k combined for the other 2 - 4x4's soo prob a 45 amp would be best with all the fans going i would think.

i was also thinking about aircooling lights and just use one fan to blow air though them but $ maybe an issue...

i think my main concern is the people above me hearing sounds since it will be a bed room (but i could check the noise if there is no renter yet)

as for the balest for making noise mine doesnt seem to make any that i can tell ill check it out later tonight tho

if i dont need a muffler on the fans i woulnt really want to put one on

intotheunknown

Veteran
ive also found that if you are the only one who knows what that sound is, thats what makes you "paranoid"

nobody else really knows what that sound is unless "they know what that sound is" if this makes any sense.

most likely it wont be heard or even questioned. but still. do your best to sound proof what you can the best you can.

greenbeen

yes that makes total sence intotheunknown, i was talking to my one buddy about this and he said just to put another layer of drywall up and inbetween the 2 just add this plastic thing, he said they do that to rooms that are becoming home theatre rooms. and for smell he just said the carbon filter would be fine... leeroi the exaust will most likely be out a window from the basement that faces into the back yard.... unless i blow it into the basement but i would prob want it out of the window and just use a small window fan and cut the cords and tie the tubing to it (what i am doing right now) there will just be a lot of air coming from the window which maybe a concern but not sure yet...

greenbeen

for amps i will try and get a 30 or 45 amp breaker than i should be able to run 2k of lighting and fans with no prob

another concern :O

would be mold and stuff would the tents help prevent that so i dont ruin the house? and if i had res should i put lids on them to keep the humidity down? or just get a dehumidifier

greenbeen

also my buddy said just use a 8x8 (flower) and a 6x4 (veg) maybe ill go this root.... do you think a 4x4 could replace a 6x4 tent? andstill have a 8x8 with a rotation going on so i harvest either every week or every other week

greenbeen

Untitled11.jpg i can only work with a 10x 12 room not sure were the door will go either

greenbeen

This is a bad idea.
all i got to say is it needs to be 10 out of 10 of stealthyness no sound no light leaks.... i dont believe my parents will be coming in the house or my basement to often because i ived on my own and in this year they have only come in about 4 or 5 times in a year.... so the concern is just noise being heard up stairs and through the door ill see if i can get a solid door or something to block noise out

this room will be my fish tank room - for the power..... than ill just say i wanted them in the open and change it to a storage room :p so ill just keep evryone out of there.....
i will put high security locks on my doors.... (im a locksmith) so be easy to get with out questions

reason way power is so high? its becaue im running lots of fish tanks.... end of question :p i think i like the 2- 750 w light idea in the 8x8 and t5's for veg.... ill make a list of the power from that room....

side note i use about 300$ bi monthly in my apt right now with 750 w the big boy t5 and all fans ... 1 -75 gal salt water tank and 1 - 20 gal tank and 1- 55 gal tank :p so yeah lots of tanks

greenbeen

so ill be running
2 -750 w hps lights with fan cooled... (12/12) prob only at night lights will be on so save on power
2 - inline fans 240v (on all the time)
1- bad boy t5 lighting system.... think its 400 w (18/6)
1-air pump.... prob not to much power usage to be worried about

i believe i could get by fine with a 30 amp hook up

1 fan (flower room) -(carbon filter - fan - light - outside through a window fan)?
2 fan (veg room) - (carbon filter - fan - outside)

greenbeen

2 -750 = 1500w
2-120v = 240w
1- 500 = 500w
total = 2240 w / 120 = 18.66 x 1.2 = 22.4 amps at 100 % power usage so with a 30 amp i would still have 7.6 amps avalible

does this seem right? (first time with conversions)

Jnugg

Veteran
No qualms with growing in a rental,but one owned by parental figures I do.If the OP gets busted his parents could have the property siezed from them.

LeeROI

The OP is apparently Canadian but yeah, "civil" seizure of property is the first thing I thought of. Dunno how things work up there.

greenbeen

from my understanding they own the property and i dont, so if popo came in and i got busted than i am a renter and my parents had no idea so i believe the property wouldnt be seized. and i would just go to jail or just have a charge of some type not to sure. now i am having second ideas about this because my mom is not going to be splitting up the room till a year later -_-

and if my prents just walked into my place i would get mad because they need a letter with 24 hour notice to come in and search so they could come in all they want but with out that i can limit there access. the reason why i was thinking this is because in order to have bought the property my mom would need someone to live there to keep taxes down and to turn a profit...

my business plan if i needed to move.... i pay for all the electric and hyro costs and pay them 250-300 extra per month that was it pays for land taxes and the profit would just come from theup stairs apt.. but yeah having second thoughts today

5th

Veteran
It would happen the way you think it would.

You'd get popped, pigs would look for a connection between your grow and your folks...they wouldn't find one.
You'd get charged, nothing would happen to them or the house.

...the exception to that being if you fucked up the house with your grow. Wiring not up to code, mould, misc. hazzards, then the buildin'/fire inspectors can cause a shit ton of problems for your folks.

That being said...it's still a bad idea. Be patient bro...you'll get your chance one of these days.

Latest posts

Latest posts