What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's the difference between an Afgani and a Kush?

G

GoodyTwoShoes

Was thinking about THSeeds Darkstar, which is a cross between an Afghani from Mazar Shariff and a Purple Kush.
They are both from pretty much the same area, so just wondering what the difference is if any.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kush_(Cannabis)

in general kush refers to herb from the region of the hindu kush mountains and specifically to the indica being imported @ that time {late 70s/aticle ref'd}

an afghan kush would be from that mountain region where it is in afghanistan

wher the entirety of afghanistan is not the hindu-kush mountain range the rest follows logically

this is all subject to speculation and depends on the accuracy of information from importers or breeders

S2B

lmao...kush now a days is anything you label kush. Hell ive got a strain that has no kush in it at all and as soon as it hits a particular market its "rainbow kush"....

its a name game krippy...its a name game

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kush in today's world means anything with some afghani in it that you want to sell for high dollar.

Originally it meant afghan pot and maybe a specific sativa-indica hybrid that came from the Kush region in Afghanistan. Vasilov while in Afghanistan had 1 pheno in mind that resembled the viney, golf ball nug 'Kush' that is OG Kush today. Read that somewhere about a year ago and cannot locate the article now.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OG kush is only a very recent representation of "kush" and may well not be a kush at all

for the most part; any indica could be labeled as a "kush"

but; what it really means is indicas from the hindu-kush mountains ~you have to forget the hype and remember that in the late 70s early 80s it was something of an introduction to indica in america {i say 'something of' because yeh; more sophisticated plant-lovers did know about it NTM skunk} AND; it represented a new, heavier high ~like enough so that politicians tried to make new legislation for this "new" stronger canna

and then remember that this current hype is in reference to that hype

there was a time when high times ran an article claiming indica was legal because the laws are written for cannabis sativa {a relic of the truth ~they werent outlawing a drug; they were eliminating competition from industrial hemp}

Last edited:
G

GoodyTwoShoes

So would plants from the Hindu Kush mountain areas be the same as lowland ( if that's the right term) plants from the rest of Afghanistan?
Would the Afgani's be darker green with wider leaves? I mean were they both hash plants?

Rinse

Veteran
So would plants from the Hindu Kush mountain areas be the same as lowland ( if that's the right term) plants from the rest of Afghanistan?
Would the Afgani's be darker green with wider leaves? I mean were they both hash plants?

There are loads of pheno's and sub strains grown across the area, in North Afghanistan the most popular is the large and late maturing Mazar I Shariff variety, in other regions you are more likely to find the squat Afghan types.
Same in the Hindu Kush range, lots of squat indica's and wild sativa's, sometimes interbreeding.

idiit

Veteran
there have been threads on this subject at ic mag before.

i don't know. i'm confused.

there is according to some a class of cannabis called afghanica that deserves its own category.

one promising approach would be to use more discerning terminology re the four major categories of cannabis and hybrids between these categories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl Mirror View Post
I have a question on the proper identification of this strain.

In Jorge Cervantes book "Marijuana Grow Basics", on page 29, it says there are four variants of marijuana.

Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, Cannabis ruderalis and, Cannabis afghanica

Should this Mazar I Sharif be regarded as an Indica or an Afghanica ?
Quote:
The truly funny thing is what we think of and call "Indica" is really C. Afghanica. C. Indica is supposed to refer to Indian cannabis, and the confusion lies in the Hindu Kush mountain range in between the two countries. Kush weed is a hybrid of Afghanica, and Indica through open pollination. Here are the four categories as listed in the book Hemp Diseases and Pests, by McPartland, Clarke, and Watson:
1. Cannabis sativa: over three meters (9ft) tall
2. Cannabis indica: one and a half to three meters (4-9ft) tall
3. Cannabis afghanica: under one and a half meters tall
4. Cannabis ruderalis: half a meter tall and autoflowering.
The afghanica dominant plants are very small, and have fat leaves,fat stems, and have very fat,greasy nuggets. Where as the indica dominant stretch, and has thin leaves,thin stem, small nuggets, and that amazing "Kush" flavor.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=143058 RollmeoneKenobi

i don't know, but it makes sense to me and could enable a better cognitive handle on the subject matter.

B

blue green

If you look at RareDankness' web site you will notice that they have a different opinion on what Kush is. lol

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Afghan should be a strain originated from Afghanistan while a Kush, a strain from the Hindu Kush mountains (Afghanistan/Pakistan)... Uzbekistan and Tajikistan strains could be semilar too.

IMHO nowadays people call kush to anything with afghan or central asia genes just to call some hype, even if they are just skunk or whatever hybrids haha.

As for the taxonomic issue... it's been changing a lot, I've been reading the 2005 revisions and I quite agree with them, differentiating C. Indica (all the drug/hemp/feral strains family and biotypes) from C. Sativa (hemp and feral strains) or C. Ruderalis (and even if we agree to some people saying there is only one specie due to the possibility of interbreeding them succesfully). But there's still a lot to be discussed though and many different approaches for each scientist's criteria. Chinensis, Indica, Kafiristanica or Afghanica would be just varieties of the same Cannabis Indica plant. Thick topic...

Vibes.

Afghan strains with no kush in them can be tall with big colas the size of ur arm. Holds alot of different terpenes depending where grown fruity hashy earthy acrid sour (depending on bud to leaf ratio).

Afghan kush is a stout indica with far less yield than an original afghan can hold sweet velvet silky hashy earthy and also fruity.

Mazar kusj from world of seeds is one of the best strains i have smoked and grown. The best of both worlds the fruitiness of the mazar(1 of the best hashish in the world) crossed with an earthy afghan kush lovely!

talktosamson

Veteran
G13 has a strain called Midnight Kush, its blueberry x hash plant, its a dank ass strain, I've grown it, but not a drop of Kush in there anywhere. It's a name game now unfortunately

Gert Lush

Veteran
s a cross between an Afghani from Mazar Shariff and a Purple Kush.
They are both from pretty much the same area, so just wondering what the difference is if any.
"Afghan" doesn't rhyme with "bush", "push" or "toosh", that's the main difference.

(Oh, and it's a bit unlikely they are from the same area, Purple Kush - whatever that may be - sounds like some kind of California hybrid, that is, if not just something completely made up)

Latest posts

Latest posts