What's new

Tincture from BHO with ethanol turned milky after adding H2O. Help!

OLordy

I under-dried my absolute shatter, so some stuff I was scraping up with razor blades remained semi-liquid and sticky (even out of the freezer). So decided to wash those blades and sticky mess with Ethanol again - which I did.
The result that I got was somewhat off-color (but transparent) so I decided not to evaporate Ethanol to make Absolute, but instead - dilute it a little to make it into a tincture.

In order for solution to be ~80 proof (down from 190) - I added amount and a half of water. - The solution immediately clouded up like milk (and there was a lot of convection seen as it happened.)
It remains milky now too - with no separation in sight

Please advise what caused this, and if the tincture is still usable
Thank you in advance

pip313

Boil the liquid away and add fresh ethanol then dont try diluting anymore. Alcohol cant mix with water and oil at the same time except in small amounts of one or the other. Like under 5%

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
It became milky because you added additional h20, most tinctures are vegetable glycerin or alcohol based, perhaps try dissolving a fully decarboxylated absolute into warm vegetable glycerin for potent tincture without the alcohol bit.
I like making capsules using fully decarboxylated absolute or qwet with a 1:1 ratio to organic coconut oil, probably my favorite way to medicate orally.

If you want it as a tincture, here is great tincture recipe from grey wolf http://skunkpharmresearch.com/holy-anointing-oil-and-holy-shit/

OLordy

Thanks for the info.
Although, both questions still stands: what (exactly) caused this, and if the tincture (as it sits) is still usable, and if not - why?

Just curious from physics and chemistry perspective - what the hell happened

jump117

Veteran
This is a normal reaction to the dissolution of alcohol with water, heat is released and the micro air bubbles that create the visual effect of milk, it is not dangerous.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Micro air bubbles?:laughing:
That's just silly.
I think he's pulling your leg.

The water is replacing your resin in the ethanol causing it to precipitate out of solution as microblobs.
If you evaporate it, the microblobs will aggregate into miniblobs, gobs, and finally all resin again.
And no, it's not harmed at all and is useable the way it is.
In fact, the fine dispersion should speed up absorption and make for a more rapid onset.

Enjoy,
Weezard

OLordy

Thanks for emulsions 101 course!
I boiled solution down and added glycerine 1:1 - some water probably still was present in suspension, so it did a version of microblobs; but this time the blobs were dark and suspension was transparent. I said fuck it, pulled out a half of stick of butter from the fridge and got me some more cannabutter - this time the decarboxylated version. Tomorrow is cooking time ;)

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for emulsions 101 course!
I boiled solution down and added glycerine 1:1 - some water probably still was present in suspension, so it did a version of microblobs; but this time the blobs were dark and suspension was transparent. I said fuck it, pulled out a half of stick of butter from the fridge and got me some more cannabutter - this time the decarboxylated version. Tomorrow is cooking time ;)

As was noted, the water caused the cloudy condition, and as you discovered, oil and glycerin don't readily mix.

It will readily mix with any of the cooking oils or butter.

OLordy

Thanks to IC mag and all of you for participation.
You SAVED THE DAY!!! X-ray cat approves this message :thank you:

X_ray_cat_by_carl020.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• cannabutter.jpg
    cannabutter.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 32

gunnaknow

Yes, it's an emulsion. Emulsions appear cloudy because of diffuse reflection, which scatters the light.