What's new

How early can u top a seedling?

C+W

Well...the earliest I would top is after I can see the growth shoots forming on the lower nodes. In other words, wait till you can see the little sprouts that will be your two new tops.

-C

B

blue green

As soon as there is 2 sets of leaves.
Make sure you don't top the plant below the first set of leaves. lol

Cannavore

Veteran
Earliest I've topped is 3 nodes. I'd wait a bit longer than that though as I didn't see great results from it. Normally 4-7 nodes is good. I personally like to top a week before I flip to bloom.

T

The Sensi Rebel

Let it go about a month after its out of the germination stage. You need a strong plant with great vigor to clone/top, just so it can recover properly without altering its growth cycle too much

Chillb

I top at 6-8 nodes or sets of leaves. Earlier topping in my experience sets them back a bit. Best to wait for them to sex out if at all possible though ...

DemonPigeon

Veteran
I tried topping when the 5 leaflet leaves came out, (i.e. above the third node) it did branch well even from the cotyledon node.

B

blue green

It is ok to top them as soon as they have 2 sets of leaves, if you feel like it.

I have seen branches come from the cotyledons too.

JOJO420

Veteran
I have seen branches come from the cotyledons too.
Really? In 20 yrs of growing I have never seen that. They always shrivel and die for me. What strain did that for you?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would not top a plant with only 2 nodes Min 5 nodes...then again after they recover to make 4 main branches.

intotheunknown

Veteran
In my opinion the best time to top is when you have decent sized secondary growth. once you take the top its the secondary growth that takes over that spot. so allow it to be present and have a decent start at least.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
1759late_060032-med.jpg

that early

B

blue green

Some people disagree, but i don't think there is any problem with topping them that small.
It helps to keep them small, if that's what you want.

B

blue green

What do you mean 'No proof, sounds like opinionated nonsense', LyryC?
Proof of what? That plants do fine after topping them above the first node?
Look at GMT's picture, the plant is fine.

Or, It helps keep them small? Sure, it doesn't make much difference if the nodes are close together, but if the second node is 6 inches above the first one, it might help a little.

I don't understand?