What's new

Are people still getting root aphids from coco?

I know it was rampant about a year or two ago. I'm curious if the problem has worked itself out and if not, how many of you are still using Bayer or an equivalent?

If you guys are into coco prepping then there is a simple step that should be added to ensure that pests do not originate from your medium.

citifield

I've been using coco for the last 18 months never got root aphids out of a bag of coco. I only use nutrifield coco, ok when my pallets empty and I'm in a pinch ill grab some
Canna even though its over priced.

miscbrah3284

Veteran
i buy all my coco in brick form but root aphids were brought in on dispensary clones and ive had 100% success with Bayer fruit and vegetable.....

never had a problem with pests in the coco brix but i still hear problems buying bags of soil and bags of coco

BudToker

Veteran
I have have used (mostly) Canna brand coco coir for many years now and I have never had root aphids. :)

Good Luck,

-BT :smokeit:

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't had Aphids sense i switched to coco !!! I was getting them more when i used FF crap soils .

nlr433

I'm using the gold label 80-20 hydroton coco mix, and just TODAY found aphids in TWO different gardens, for the first time ever. ahhhhhh! came on here to research dealing with them.

I'm glad people aren't getting them as bad as they used to. Still there are cases here and there. The stupid things are really tough, but they can't hide from me.

If you can, either finish flowering or clear your grow and start over. Next, get a big ass deep pan from Wally World or whatever, set your oven for 220, and bake away for 90 minutes. After 90 minutes I dump my coco directly into my smart pots and start saturating with cool water.

The ability to heat treat coco is what makes coco so great. Its not just about root aphids either. It gets them all. Pesticides blow!!! If you grow from seed you will almost always avoid bug problems. Its pretty rare to get a contamination from a place besides your plant source, coco, or equipment. Burn 'em down.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Not sure if this helps with root aphids but the one time I got them in coco was the one time I forgot to flush/soak before planting.

lonetoke

I'm using the gold label 80-20 hydroton coco mix, and just TODAY found aphids in TWO different gardens, for the first time ever. ahhhhhh! came on here to research dealing with them.
No shit. I just had a scary run-in with them 6 days ago. I also use gold label 80-20. I grew in soil for about 2 years and never even heard of those nasty bastards. Good thing is, I went to the hydro store and the guy highly recommended Bayer fruit, citrus, and vegetable. I went straight home and used it and was fucking shocked at how many dead aphids were in my tray. I was facing complete annihilation, and it was going to happen sooner then later. I am somewhat obsessed with plants and def not a noob but yet I never saw it coming. Very humbling experience. I can post pics if anyone is interested. I added 3 ounces of Bayer fcv in my 25 gallon rez, Flooded the tray for 10 minutes all the while drenching each pot from the top. 5 days later and no more bugs. Due to the systemic properties I've even notice a couple dead winged aphids in my flood tray. I must have caught the infestation before the majority reached adulthood. Scary situation, makes spidermites seem like a petty nuisance.

hobb3s93

I had some kind of flying pest this last run. i only caught a few of them so it was hard to determine if it was RA'S or gnats,
MY plants began dying from the bottom about week 3 gave them bunch of aspirin(i think it helped) and ended with a good harvest.
Now i wash my coco a couple times with boiling water and my soil once.
I keep all bagged soil or coco double trash bagged when unused/unwashed .
Im not planning on bringing in any foreign plants to my grow so hopefully i dont have any more run ins

Latest posts

Latest posts