Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

Thread Title Search
Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2006, 11:34 AM #1
HempKat
Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer

HempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant future
Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

Okay well first let me give you all a bit of background. The original Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question thread began in early 2004 I believe. The idea came from a user by the name of DJ Nuts. DJ basically took note of the situation back then, lots of newbies asking the same questions and often not getting much help, so the threads littered the forums. Also that there were an abundance of knowledable Old Farts willing to help but just not organized. DJ took advantage of the fact that it's the natural urge of the new comer to want to seek out older more experienced folk. So DJ came up with this thread and encouraged old farts to join in and help out. Thereby creating a tool designed to not only cut down on forum clutter but also to help get the new comers good sound basic advice for beginners. I came along not long after it started. I stayed steadily involved there daily for several months. During that time DJ's personal life created a situation that forced her attention elsewhere and we arranged for me to take over in her absense. So when OG went down and I came here I started it up in the OG forum both to continue to serve it's purpose and also as a sign to OG membership that life goes on.

So I reach out also to any of you IC Old Farts that can spare to check in here and provide help every day or every few days or whatever you are comfortable with. Membership rules are fairly simple to qualify as an Old Fart you need to be 45 or Older and/or have 10 plus years of growing experience. Now note, the 10+ years part is the most important. Old Fart is more a tongue in cheek kind of thing really, although I am over 45 :smile:

There is no particular format per se, questions get answered according to the answerers comfort level. The only thing I ask is that if all you have to say is read the growFAQ's or such then let the question pass. The old farts thread being geared towards newer members has to remain tolerant to the fact that the people asking help are new and don't know where information is most of the time. Now I do encourage old farts to answer all questions if they choose even if it's been answered by another Old Fart. For most things there is more then one approach so just being an old fart doesn't make that person's way, the "only" way. Also people are human and sometimes forget things or they miss an aspect of a question, so definately if something got left out or overlooked then that should be added. Even if it's saying the same thing I encourage multiple answers. It makes the new user feel more confident about the info and it makes them feel more welcome to the site.

Now as for users using this thread the rules are fairly simple, the Old Farts are here to help, not hold your hand from germination to harvest by telling you step by step what to do. It is expected of you to have some grasp of what you are getting into. As the thread gets going it's also encouraged for new users to read a few pages as often times an answer to many popular questions can be found in a few pages. I do realize however that the thread has gotten quite large so there is no expectation on anyone to read the whole thread. Although you're welcome to do so if that's your choice, there's close to 6 years worth of information contained here and as such pretty much most things have been covered to some degree. Also it's worth mentioning that as Old Farts if anything our brain power has gotten less. So we do not have the ability to read minds. So when asking a question related to a specific grow or problem we need to know as much info about the grow and/or problem as you can provide. Lights, strain, growing style, grow room specs, etc. Also pics are very helpful and encouraged.

Okay well that's it for now I guess, so that makes one Old Fart for sure here ready and willing to help. It will probably be slow at first so until then I'll be over here in the corner whittling a piece of wood or some other such Old Fart antics.

Last edited by HempKat; 03-31-2006 at 11:47 AM..
HempKat is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:03 PM #2
buzzed day

how much light do you need?

hello a freind is flowering his plants in a room with 3 windows in it.the plants will get between 3-4 hours direct sunlight and the rest of the 12 hours in indirect sunlight [dam i hope this ain't a math question lol] will that be enough light to grow them in?? and do you think they would grow better,about the same,a little less or would they suck compared to 12 hours under a 150 hps thanks for any help and have a buzzed day

Old 04-01-2006, 11:01 AM #3
HempKat

HempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant futureHempKat has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzed day
hello a freind is flowering his plants in a room with 3 windows in it.the plants will get between 3-4 hours direct sunlight and the rest of the 12 hours in indirect sunlight [dam i hope this ain't a math question lol] will that be enough light to grow them in?? and do you think they would grow better,about the same,a little less or would they suck compared to 12 hours under a 150 hps thanks for any help and have a buzzed day
Well 3 - 4 hours is not great but then neither is a 150W that's good for 2 - 3 plants max, which may be all that is needed in this case. Here's an idea, why not suppliment the indirect light hours with the 150W HPS?
HempKat is offline Quote

Old 04-01-2006, 11:16 AM #4
-VT-
Voluptuous Trichomes

-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice
I've heard that it's good to let the plants warm up during the night cycle...how much warmer than daylight hours? I run my radiant temps between 70F - 74F during lights on...I experimented with running heat during lights off to get the temp to 80F...anything to this warm night stuff? Oh...I'm a hydro DWC grower by the way...I keep root zone temps steady...just curious about night ambient temps...thx

Peace
-VT- is offline Quote

Old 04-01-2006, 06:06 PM #5
HempKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by -VT-
I've heard that it's good to let the plants warm up during the night cycle...how much warmer than daylight hours? I run my radiant temps between 70F - 74F during lights on...I experimented with running heat during lights off to get the temp to 80F...anything to this warm night stuff? Oh...I'm a hydro DWC grower by the way...I keep root zone temps steady...just curious about night ambient temps...thx

Peace
Never heard of making things warmer being good except when running CO2. Now one thing I do know from experience is colder temps at night can help enhance trichome developement. One of the things the resin does is help insulate the plant from cooler temps. So making it cooler at night (to a point) encourages the plant to insulate itself better. What I do is I drop my temps to 60 degrees F and drop my relative humidity to 30%. Just during flower and just during lights out. Lights on and it's 75 to 80 degrees with an rh of 50%
HempKat is offline Quote

Old 04-01-2006, 09:28 PM #6
The Budfather

The Budfather will become famous soon enoughThe Budfather will become famous soon enough
HEMPKAT!!!!! MISSED YA BUDDY DROP BY MY THREAD OVER IN THE GROW DIARIES I FINISHED MY FIRST HARVEST NOW TAKING IT UP A BIT
"A man can love his work without getting paid for it. Can carve a space for himself in life that makes so many other ingredients bearable. He can use this space to grow from, to go from, or just to be, and sit in tranquility."-bongsong----beautifully put
The Budfather is offline Quote

Old 04-01-2006, 10:09 PM #7
green_grow

green_grow has a spectacular aura aboutgreen_grow has a spectacular aura aboutgreen_grow has a spectacular aura aboutgreen_grow has a spectacular aura aboutgreen_grow has a spectacular aura about
is it a good practice to put a screen on one's intake(s) ? i am thinking of something like cheesecloth; might help keep bugs out, right ?

also, how long can you keep seedlings under a floro until they need to be transferred to HID ? i know there are people out there using floros all the way, but for my first grow i want to go with hps. experimenting with floros can wait.
green_grow is offline Quote

Old 04-01-2006, 11:04 PM #8
ogrefugee
Official Tree Taster

ogrefugee has a spectacular aura aboutogrefugee has a spectacular aura aboutogrefugee has a spectacular aura aboutogrefugee has a spectacular aura aboutogrefugee has a spectacular aura about
hura! wotafaq rules! thanks for coming back!

k+

Last edited by ogrefugee; 04-01-2006 at 11:05 PM..
ogrefugee is offline Quote

Old 04-02-2006, 05:31 AM #9
monkeyman

monkeyman is on a distinguished road
This is a great thread idea. Anyway, my question involves nutes and hydro. I am growing in a DWC set up and I don't know when I should start adding nutes to the water. Someone said when the calyx die, but what does that look like? Its been a little over a week now, they all have their first set of leaves and I can see teeny tiny little lives starting to grow.

On a couple of the plants the calyx are starting to almost fold back, kind of like wilting, kind of not. I'm not sure if that is the sign or not. The main thing that gives me pause is that there is no discoloration on them. I would love to provide a picture but I can't find my battery charger for my camera. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2006, 05:51 AM #10
bostrom155
Ben Spies...enough said

bostrom155 will become famous soon enoughbostrom155 will become famous soon enough
Not rootbound at harvest

I was just wondering, I always have a pot full of roots upon harvest, i'm going to try 1 gal to 3 gal, and see how that works. My question is, if I have excess soil upon harvest is the only thing I'm wasting is soil. Or is bud prodution affected cause the pot didn't fill out?

AMA Superbike.. World Superbike.. Moto GP
bostrom155 is offline Quote