Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Seedbay > Seedbay Private Breeders > Stank Bros > Basic Organic Soil Mixes

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at Seedbay
Thread Closed
Basic Organic Soil Mixes Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 PM #1
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

dank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivor
Post Basic Organic Soil Mixes

My personal cloning medium which makes roughly 1.5 cu ft:

5 gal peat
2.75 gal coir
.75 gal EWC
.75 gal composted cow manure
.5 gal chunky perlite
.5 gal vermiculite

Cloning Amendment Recipe:

2/3c crab meal
2/3c kelp meal
2/3c pH mineral mix*
2 tbsp DE/Calcium Bentonite

1 tbsp Bio-Vam
1 tbsp Bio-Ag Endo Vam

My personal "potting" medi
um which makes roughly 1.5 cu. ft:

3 gal dirt / earth / topsoil / nursery soil (unfertilized)
1.5 gal coir
2.5 gal peat
3 gal aeration
(chunky perlite, lava rock, permatil, etc.)
1 gal EWC

Basic Amendment Recipe:

1/2c alfalfa meal
1/2c dry molasses
1c kelp meal
1c blood meal
1c bone meal
1/2c seabird guano
2tbsp Sul-Po-Mg
1/2c azomite
1/3c dolomite*
1/3c gypsum*
2/3c oyster shell flour*

1/4 tbsp BioVam
1/4 tbsp BioAg Vam

Phillthy's base mix (use with basic amendment recipe above):

1/2 - bale Pro Mix Bx
1 - bag FFOF (or equivalent)
1/2 - 30# bag EWC
5 gal additional chunky perlite

BurnOne's "Organic for Beginners" thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53792

The above basic amendment recipe can be used in conjunction with the base "LC soil-less mixes" listed in this thread as well. However, the LC mixes are based on 1 cu ft batches, where my basic amendment recipe is for 1.5 cu ft batches. To use the "LC mixes" simply mix: 3x LC mix, 2x basic amendment recipe.

------------

For any of the above methods all ingredients are simply mixed into the soil and then given water through out the plants entire life cycle. When growing in pots / containers simply transplant into a larger container as necessary (in gallons):

.5-2, 1-3, 2-5, 3-7, 5-10, 10-25, etc...(veg to flower examples given)

If trying to push plants a bit harder for yields:

-Per Gallon of water -

wk2:
1/4 tsp Thrive Alive B1 (green label)

wk 3:
1 tsp of Earth Juice Meta-K
2 tbsp of Budswel Liquid (yellow)

wk 4:
1 tsp of General Organics Cal/Mg

wk 5:
1 tsp Earth Juice Meta-K
2 tbsp Budswel (yellow label)

*indicates components of the "pH mineral mix"

**Typically, I just use 1 bag of the NSPB:FLF mix and let that compost for 4-6wks before use.

dank.Frank

May we all, in our own way, find our personal calling which allows us to continue overgrowing prohibition!!!

Last edited by dank.frank; 04-17-2016 at 09:59 PM..

14 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 PM #2
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

dank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivor
Natural Selection Pharmaceutical Botany: Full Life Formula ie NSPB: FLF ie the NSPB mix

While some of the same ingredients are in the list above, it is NOT the same recipe or ratio of items. There are distinct differences, without saying specifically what those differences are.

The original NSPB mix worked just fine - but it was always a work in progress. Even when it was first released at 16 ingredients, I was already playing with various mixes and formulations having up to 28 various additions. Since I first discussed the mix and providing such an alternative to bottled nutrients there have been countless others to jump on board and adopt similar growing philosophies - and for this, I am extremely grateful. As far as I am concerned, the more organic gardens the better.

The original release contained:

alfalfa meal
azomite
bat guano(s)
beneficial bacteria
blood meal
bone meal
diatomaceous earth
dolomite limestone
dry molasses
EWC
greensand
kelp meal
leonardite
rice flour
seabird guano

The revised NSPB mix:

alfalfa meal
azomite
bat guano
beneficial bacteria
blood meal
bone char
crustacean meal
diatomaceous earth
dolomite limestone
dry molasses
fish bone meal
greensand
gypsum
kelp meal
leonardite
neem meal
oyster shell flour
rice flour
rock dust
seabird guano
sul po mag
yucca

dank.Frank

May we all, in our own way, find our personal calling which allows us to continue overgrowing prohibition!!!

Last edited by dank.frank; 01-06-2015 at 07:59 AM..

11 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:01 AM #3
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

I get questions all the time in PM asking me about why there are different base mixes and formulas and what impact they have on the harvested flowers. As a result, I want to share some chronological results from different soil mixes so people are able to get a better idea of the results they produce.

The majority of these pictures will be from Phillthy's albums over a period of a few years and will show the different expressions in various soil mixes. Because Phillthy's room environment remained very consistent, it makes for a perfect means of displaying the various impacts that simply changing the soil can have.

The plant shown in these examples is his personal selection from Retardo Motabon seed stock - Bubba Kush x Grape Krush ie the "BKGK" clone.

dank.Frank

Last edited by dank.frank; 01-06-2015 at 09:23 AM..

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:11 AM #4
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

The first "water only" soil mix that Phillthy was using was his own personal re-formulation of what was known the Blazeoneup mix. For those that don't know Blaze, he is a very talented grower who has always pushed the envelope and is constantly experimenting with new techniques to improve his garden. Phillthy took his advice and made adjustments to the mix based on local product availability and his personal preferences for a light, quick draining medium that remained affordable and uncomplicated.

December 2009

Soil Mix Used:

1/2 - bale Pro Mix Bx
1 - bag FFOF
additional chunky perlite (as needed)

1c blood
1c bone
1c dolomite lime
1c EWC

8wk: (from seed)

9wk: (from seed)

Dried:

dank.Frank

Last edited by dank.frank; 01-06-2015 at 09:08 AM..

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:34 AM #5
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

The next big change that Phillthy made to his mix was to start adding more EWC to his base medium and to use a standard amount of perlite as opposed to just eyeballing things to preference...

I want to say it was also right about this same time that Phillthy had begun to understand his cut turned a darker purple where it was exposed to more light. You will see a distinct difference in the lowers which remained slightly covered vs the upper colas that were fully exposed.

This next series of pictures will highlight how vitally important it is to realize the impact of EWC. They are truly the one thing that no organic grower should ever do without. Your base medium should never consist of no less than 10% EWC with the absolute maximum being around 18-20%. Mixes that are based entirely on peat or coir and contain no actual soil, require more EWC.

* It is also important to mention, the pictures in the first post represent the initial plant grown from seed, where as everything following is grown from clone and shows the plant having reached it's full maturity. This is important to realize, as it is not my intent to be misleading about the results seen.

June 2010

Soil Mix Used:

1/2 - bale Pro Mix Bx
1 - bag FFOF
1/2 - 30# bag EWC

1c blood
1c bone
1c dolomite lime

9wk:

Dried:

dank.Frank

Last edited by dank.frank; 10-13-2015 at 07:34 AM..

8 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:27 AM #6
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

Phillthy was getting roughly 2oz per plant in 3 gallon containers with the BKGK clone. He was looking for ways to get the cut to yield a bit more without really making the process of gardening overly complicated.

Earlier in the year, Phillthy's personal schedule didn't allow him to harvest the BKGK cut at it's typical 9wk chop date and he had discovered if he let the plant go a full 10wk the entire plant would go purple, nearly black, not just the areas exposed to the most lighting. The flavors were also slightly more complex, resin output marginally higher, bud density was slightly increased, but the yields remained the same.

It was also about this time he began trying some supplemental P/K boosters in the garden during wk 3 and 5 of flower...

I know over the years I had been discussing my own personal soil mixes with Phillthy and the different experiments I had been running which eventually gave rise to the NSPB: Full Life Formula. It had been offered a few times previously to try out but he didn't want to have a bad cycle. (I think it was his experimenting with P/K boosters and the additional effort it required that finally convinced him to give it a try.)

In these pictures you will notice a bit of tip burn that resulted from the use of pushing the plants with additional bottle feeds...but you'll also see the results of the plants being harvested at 10wk instead of 9wk.

November 2010

Soil Mix Used:

1/2 - bale Pro Mix Bx
1 - bag FFOF
1/2 - 30# bag EWC

1c blood
1c bone
1c dolomite lime

P/K "boosters" during wk 3 and 5

8wk:

10wk:

Drying:

dank.Frank

9 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:26 AM #7
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

One of Phillthy's biggest concerns when trying something new was he didn't want to change his base medium in order to run a new feeding program and I assured him he could continue using the exact same base medium he always had if he used the NSPB: Full Life Formula. I also promised he would see better flowers, using nothing but water, than what he was currently growing even with the P/K "boosters".

So in December 2010, Phillthy prepared a batch of his base medium and amended it with a single bag of the NSPB mix and put his next round of BKGK into flower and like always documented those results here on ICmag.

January 2011

Soil Mix Used:

1/2 - bale Pro Mix Bx
1 - bag FFOF
1/2 - 30# bag EWC

1 bag NSPB: Full Life Formula

8wk:

9wk:

He decided the plants had ripened slightly faster and would not need to go 10wks and harvested everything at 9wks. All plants yielded between 2.75-3oz...the best numbers he had ever gotten on his BKGK cut. He noted the calyx to leaf ratio was completely different and the flowers themselves were much more swollen. The resin production was drastically increased and the nuances of the flavors were more pronounced and defined; subtle floral notes that had never been apparent were now detected in the background.

It was at this point he became a firm believer in the NSPB mix as the improvements to his garden were beyond obvious and asked to be provided with more...which I was more than glad to do.

dank.Frank

Last edited by dank.frank; 01-06-2015 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-06-2015, 09:04 AM #8
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

This brings things full circle and now I have to use a previous example from my own garden, to show the differences in BKGK when grown in a different base medium and a different set of amendments, but still in 3 gallon containers.

The following was grown using what I consider to be a more bare bones approach and really the bare minimum of what I believe is required to have satisfactory flowers. Given I don't exactly share the specifics of the NSPB: FLF formulation, I set out to make an amendment mix I was comfortable sharing all the details of. The end result is what I listed as the basic amendment recipe that you see at the very top of this page...

March 2012

Soil Mix Used:

3 gal dirt / earth / topsoil / nursery soil (unfertilized)
1.5 gal coir
2.5 gal peat
3 gal aeration (chunky perlite, lava rock, permatil, etc.)
1 gal EWC

1/2c alfalfa meal
1/2c dry molasses
1c kelp meal
1c blood meal
1c bone meal
1/2c seabird guano
2tbsp Sul-Po-Mg
1/2c azomite
1/3c dolomite
1/3c gypsum
2/3c oyster shell flour

1/4 tbsp BioVam
1/4 tbsp BioAg Vam

3wk:

6wk:

10wk:

Dried:

dank.Frank

Last edited by dank.frank; 01-06-2015 at 09:15 AM..

Old 01-06-2015, 09:19 AM #9
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

I hope this little chronological graphic break down helps you see the differences in the various mixes discussed here and allows you to see more clearly the impact they can have on a single plant.

As I state in my growing philosophy sticky - this hobby of ours is not about trying to "grow" the plant - it is about fine tuning the environment in two specific regions. If you focus your efforts on improving the environment around the foliage and the root zone, you will allow the absolute best genetic information contained within the plant to present itself.

These soil and amendment mixes are merely a tool to help you improve the environment surrounding the root zone and thus by default, improve the quality of the medicine you produce. Like anything else, it all depends on how much time you put into something - except in this instance, I've put in the time for you, and all you have to do is be willing to follow the directions...

Happy growing and keep 'em green!!!

dank.Frank

Last edited by dank.frank; 01-30-2017 at 11:52 PM..

36 members found this post helpful.

Thread Closed