What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dwc vs flood and drain. Og, cookies, cheese, amnesia and more...

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I posted this thread awhile ago but it got deleted. Cant imagine why. Anyway, I'm running a ton of strains.....too many to be honest but I'm isolating what i want to keep. I always run and will always run my big buddha cheese and amnesia haze along with fire og. Ive recently acquired a cookie cut, a uk cheese, herojuana og, ecsd, gdp(kens cut) and tahoe og. Im running a lot of them in a flood and drain recirculating on rockwool slabs. The 32x12x3s to be exact. Im also running all the same strains in another tray set up with pumps and airstones for a dwc setup that drains when the lights are off. Im excited to see the differences in all the strains from flood and drain to dwc. Hopefully you guys will follow along with me! So far, gdp doesn't like me very much :(. Anyway on to the photos!
The last two show the gdp all short and yellow.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dealing with uneven canopies is a challenge and unfavorable. Gotta do what you gotta do. Heres closeups of the buds at 30 days.
Fire og

Gdp

Big buddha cheese

Amnesia haze

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Onto the dwc

Onto the dwc

Heres some photos of the dwc setup. All the tallest ones are under one light. Fire and tahoe og. I put the tallest ones to the right and the shortest to the left based on anticipated stretch. They are 10 days in.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This look like gsc to anyone? I know its hard to tell at only 10 days...

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone else double up or even triple up on the collars in your cloner? You can easily make your 30 site a 60-90 site. Works all the time,

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cant anyone say whether or not that looks close to cookies? No opinions on the setup? The weird canopy? The dwc vs flood?

crassknuckles

Yo:

Whether or not it's GSC, I don't know. I do believe thought that mr. dank (father of Golden Goat) is/has growing some here.

As far as the experiment of DWC vs F&D, I'm very curious. Just got finished with my third DWC grow, myself, and was looking for perhaps a better setup. I think the way you've worked your canopy, seems the most logical and efficient, but I'm also fairly new to the grow game...

I like the cloner trick, too. I suppose as long as the roots don't get too tabgled up, it's a swell idea.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i don't have the answers to any of those strain questions but i'm happy i caught this thread. i like side by side experiments and this one is a good one and your setup looks to be well designed. i would have arranged the plants you have them too, taller ones outside shorter ones under the light. other way around and the short ones don't get light. you have em mounted for even coverage overhead? just keep em at the level the tall plants need and the short ones will eventually catch up.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yo:

Whether or not it's GSC, I don't know. I do believe thought that mr. dank (father of Golden Goat) is/has growing some here.

As far as the experiment of DWC vs F&D, I'm very curious. Just got finished with my third DWC grow, myself, and was looking for perhaps a better setup. I think the way you've worked your canopy, seems the most logical and efficient, but I'm also fairly new to the grow game...

I like the cloner trick, too. I suppose as long as the roots don't get too tabgled up, it's a swell idea.
I hope its gsc! So far the dwc has explosive growth. Def crazier stretch on the ogs than usual. Im stoked to see the way things go. Ultimately im either gonna stick to f&d or convert everything to dwc. Thanks for checking this thread out!

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i don't have the answers to any of those strain questions but i'm happy i caught this thread. i like side by side experiments and this one is a good one and your setup looks to be well designed. i would have arranged the plants you have them too, taller ones outside shorter ones under the light. other way around and the short ones don't get light. you have em mounted for even coverage overhead? just keep em at the level the tall plants need and the short ones will eventually catch up.

Im happy you caught it too i was starting to feel like this was a lame show! The uneven canopy is a challenge I've had it go both ways. Its gone pretty well (3+ from 2k) and then very poorly(2.5- from 2k). I usually only do one strain per tray. Def the best idea for yield purposes. But i need those flavs! You're exactly right about the canopy setup i had to think from the start which ones will be tallest and where should they go? Im trying to keep everything as even and efficient as possible. Ill post an update in a couple days. Thanks for looking, this could get interesting!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Looks good so far and I feel your pain about the canopy.

I'm looking forward to mono-cropping again... someday. LOL

Nothing like a full room of the same stuff, same age, same mum. Sooo much easier and much more productive. :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks good so far and I feel your pain about the canopy.

I'm looking forward to mono-cropping again... someday. LOL

Nothing like a full room of the same stuff, same age, same mum. Sooo much easier and much more productive. :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

At the moment a garden filled with one strain sounds amazing

hobb3s93

nice setup man, i need to take the advice and run only one strain lol.

It prolly just because im a newb but ive never seen that sort of dwc system.

Im doin a dwc vs coco rite now. but can u elaborate a little on the dwc? Is it the same amount of rockwool as ur flood tray? do u just fill the tray once daily ,then aerate, then drain at lights off?

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice setup man, i need to take the advice and run only one strain lol.

It prolly just because im a newb but ive never seen that sort of dwc system.

Im doin a dwc vs coco rite now. but can u elaborate a little on the dwc? Is it the same amount of rockwool as ur flood tray? do u just fill the tray once daily ,then aerate, then drain at lights off?

Variety is fun so its hard to only run one thing! As far as the dwc it requires less plants less rockwool but more veg time. The tray floods 1/2 hr before the lights come on. The res is aerated. Once the lights come on the pumps and air stones do too in the tray. Then when they go off the tray drains and all the pumps and air stones turn off. Makes for a better night time environment imo. Otherwise they are always flooding and that can cause night time issues. In the other tray it floods 2x daily, more rockwool and less veg time so more plants. I hope they both work out okay!

hobb3s93

Variety is fun so its hard to only run one thing! As far as the dwc it requires less plants less rockwool but more veg time. The tray floods 1/2 hr before the lights come on. The res is aerated. Once the lights come on the pumps and air stones do too in the tray. Then when they go off the tray drains and all the pumps and air stones turn off. Makes for a better night time environment imo. Otherwise they are always flooding and that can cause night time issues. In the other tray it floods 2x daily, more rockwool and less veg time so more plants. I hope they both work out okay!

Cool man thanx for the info. That is an interesting way to do it i have never seen someone on here run a system like that, Do u think it will beat the straight rockwool side?

I opted for coco over rockwool when i decided to (half)switch from dwc. I dont like the idea of a pump running while im not in the room,so i just plug in once a day for coco rather than mutltiple for rw .Although it would be next choice due to it being presumibly sterile

Ya variety is awesome until u take a dab and arrange ur plants in a stoner way lol (my mistake)the run im finishing up had a couple non streching indicas(PO blackberry) mixed with the stretchy floppy (PO deepsleep). Need less to say im dealing with uneven canopy lol. Fuckit Chem all the way next time.

Best of luck man happy growing:dance013:

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool man thanx for the info. That is an interesting way to do it i have never seen someone on here run a system like that, Do u think it will beat the straight rockwool side?

I opted for coco over rockwool when i decided to (half)switch from dwc. I dont like the idea of a pump running while im not in the room,so i just plug in once a day for coco rather than mutltiple for rw .Although it would be next choice due to it being presumibly sterile

Ya variety is awesome until u take a dab and arrange ur plants in a stoner way lol (my mistake)the run im finishing up had a couple non streching indicas(PO blackberry) mixed with the stretchy floppy (PO deepsleep). Need less to say im dealing with uneven canopy lol. Fuckit Chem all the way next time.

Best of luck man happy growing:dance013:

Ive had one pull from my dwc so far and the yield was less but the potential was clearly greater. The quality was better too. I ran only og and it stretched more than anticipated so the lights ended up being too close. Some buds were HUGE. If i had a better canopy i would have had a stellar yield. I still got almost 3 out of 2k but i need 4! Ive come close. Im confident the dwc i created is overall capable of more explosive growth. However, the flood and drain has been easier to manage and ive killed it yieldwise. Well have to see how they compar this time and then with both trays running one strain. I agree uneven canopy=trouble but theres always next run! Chem kick ass btw. Po kicks ass too.good people in there. Careful with deep sleep that shit yields pretty poorly. Great product but the bubba in it reduces yield a lot.

hobb3s93

NIce man that makes sense about potential. but flood to drain or in my my case drip to waste is super easy compared anything were u really have to watch water temps so closely.

Im hoping to pull atleast 2 or 2.5 off my four 600's because deep sleep is fucking me up. it super potent and gonna b breeze to trim but i wish they would have let me no like " yo this doesnt yeild for shit"lol im sure they wernt determined on selling me one $10 clone. but w/e im a newb so im sure its not entirlley their fault lol. W/e theres always next time im shooting for 3-4 with all chem and four 600's sorry to clog ur thread man

JBudz

Lookin killer dude. You got a kick ass setup goin on over here. I wish I was running something like that. I'm running some girl scout cookies myself. Just got her from a buddy.

Latest posts

Latest posts