What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for a nice classic Afghani strain to grow out.

there goes edro

Veteran
As the title states Im looking for that classic Afghani strain. At the moment Im leaning towards Seedsman Afghani#1. If anyone has ran this strain before Id love to hear your opinions on how the plants grew and of course the final product. Also open to any suggestions and opinions of breeders who might have the best Afghani strain. Thanks in advance IC!!!!

Lung.Butter

Just did sweet afghani from sweet seeds, some good shit, did sensi affie #1 a few years back, sucked. also grew it in 1999, when it was good.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did the Seedsman AF 1, was pretty light yield and buds were not tight. High was there pretty good. That was just 1 plant.

Did SAD and like it a lot, Black Domina pheno. Maple Leaf Indica is a staple for me.

Rinse

Veteran
I would recomend maple leaf, grew it next to afghan 1 from sensi (I think its similar or same line to seedsmans). Well the maple stayed fat but the afghan 1 got stretchy with wispy buds, the maple was better smoke too.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Another vote for the Maple! In the past I've seen some Mazar-I-Shariff heirlooms but nowadays they seem to be out of stock.

Although it's an IBL, Afghani #1 has some skunk on the gene pool (both Sensi's and Seedsman's I guess). I can't remember now about the lineage make up of Hindu Kush but Maple Leaf besides the production issue, is a great stinky indica and a winner connoisseur hashplant for sure. :biggrin:

Check out this interesting info from Sensi on this subject:

Yes you are right the Afghani#1 is a F-1 hybrid by itself already. Also the Maple Leaf that is sold by us is an F-1 hybrid.

The Afghani is hybridised with Skunk(18.5%) and sold as Afghani#1. The Maple leaf is constructed of 3 different afghani´s that where originally collected and crossed in Canada in the early 80´s.

Greetings,
Sensi Seed Bank

:tiphat:

browntrout

Veteran
Is sensi's Maple leaf stock the same as it was before. I have a sneaking suspicion it isn't the same as before.

there goes edro

Veteran
I would recomend maple leaf, grew it next to afghan 1 from sensi (I think its similar or same line to seedsmans). Well the maple stayed fat but the afghan 1 got stretchy with wispy buds, the maple was better smoke too.

How long ago did you pop those MLI beans? Yeah, MLI is one of the only strains that Sensi Seeds has in its stable that I havent heard alot of poor reviews about recently.

there goes edro

Veteran
Already got SAD by Sweet Seeds in the collection. Cannacopia's Lapis Mountain Indica sound like some interesting Afghani genes. May also have to pop some Maple Leaf Indica.
Just want to grow out some various Afghani varieties to see whats what so I can eventually find suitable mothers for future endeavors. Thanks for the responses IC!! Your input is always most insightful. Enjoy your weekends!!!!!

Apodo

Experience is irreplaceable, but at least, we got symbols and the hope we can transmit it.
As you do now, I was compel to investigate for a good afghan.
I will name the sure bets: Deepchunk (Tom Hill), Maple Leaf Indica (Sensi Seeds) and Afghaan Dream (British Columbia Seed Company). They are proven, with detailed grows, smoke reports and supposedly, they remain being quality.
There is the second group, they are quite unknown, no much info around, and maybe some of them are hard to get, but they hold the promises of a true afghan flavour: Afghan Kush (World of Seeds), Afghan (Nirvana) and of course, Mazar I Shariff (ACE Seeds and Gypsy Nirvana are the same stock, The Real Seed Company).
I will stop here to talk about the second group. The seed line of World of Seeds is truly underrated, they got quite bad reputations in Spanish boards as simple seedmakers, copycats and feminized lines that they are unstable, but the Afghan Kusch, in spite of this shady paradigm, they got a consistently good reports. They got flavour, production and potency. The catch, you may ask?. Buy it regular and make sure you make F2.
The Afghan from Nirvana... well, they are know for using old stock from other reputable company's to make they own strains. When you read the terpene info in their skunk crosses or selections of it (B-52, Super Skunk for name a few), the "rot" smell always is mentioned, what all this plant got in common?. The Afghan is one of the parentals. They are potent and offensively fragrant. You can use it on its own, but they are a valuable addition if you wanna experiment with some crosses also.
What can I say about the Mazar I Shariff?, they are landraces. Is mandatory the making of F2, reproduction runs are recommendable, and you must do a selection for a individual of your taste. But they the afghans place it as creme of the crop, so they must know their own plant.

P.S: If anyone can point me to where the Nirvana Afghan trives, please PM or let me know. I would love to grow that plant.

Rinse

Veteran
Another vote for the Maple! In the past I've seen some Mazar-I-Shariff heirlooms but nowadays they seem to be out of stock.

Although it's an IBL, Afghani #1 has some skunk on the gene pool (both Sensi's and Seedsman's I guess). I can't remember now about the lineage make up of Hindu Kush but Maple Leaf besides the production issue, is a great stinky indica and a winner connoisseur hashplant for sure. :biggrin:

I didn't know Afghan one has skunk in it, doesn't surprise me though... Also interesting about the maple leaf coming from Canada, they have top quality outdoor Afghan's up there.

Here is a dried pic, was lightly dusted with garlik bud male, hence what we see on the bottom left :biggrin: :

PAwBV90.jpg

Is sensi's Maple leaf stock the same as it was before. I have a sneaking suspicion it isn't the same as before.

Some say its the same, some say its changed...I don't know because I only grew it this once.
From what Ive read most agree that it hasn't been crossed to anything else, but maybe they coudn't maintain the line in its original form.

How long ago did you pop those MLI beans? Yeah, MLI is one of the only strains that Sensi Seeds has in its stable that I havent heard alot of poor reviews about recently.

I think about a year ago, but I didn't grow her to full potential, it was under 250w cfl, I think this strain would be stunning grown in a dry climate, full sun.

browntrout

Veteran
I've grown Lapis mountain and Devil from Mr.nice and while both plants differ in structure and growth they both have that classic ghani floating/mind wondering high to them. While the LMI is a little more grounded, it is seriously stupifying in its high, combined with it's AA taste of chocloate/garlic/hash/kush and smooth smoking It will live on for years. The Devil on the other hand is a monster outdoors and needs longer to flower (maybe from the 1/4 skunk) it does however put you into the clouds and sometimes outer-space.. The hash made from the one pheno I got was like smoking a bouquet of flowers - straight floral!

If you want a face-melting Afghan that leaves you in a state of lost consciousness, then you cannot go wrong with either one. magical mind journies as shanti puts it...
LMI for indoor and devil for outdoor if you can flower till late october

Latest posts

Latest posts