What's new

A good stud male..?

Hey guys < and girls >, i have abit of a dilema here, first of all let me say this, i'm not a rocket scientist or someone looking to create the next super strain, this question is purely for me, a working class average guy who loves growing for personal use.

" To the moderators of this thread, if i accidently type anything < strains or breeders names> that are not allowed please delete the thread, don't ban me as it would of been typed without my knowledge of what is'nt allowed "

I am starting to build of a collection of freebie seeds that i have received, alot of feminised and auto strains that have come as a single or double pack, most sound delicious but when checking the price on them i am not going to pay whats asked for getting more of the same strain.
I'm going to throw a few of these down together and looking for a good balanced to throw his pollen over them so i don't loose the qualities these freebie's may or may not have, not interested in retaining the feminised or auto qualities of them.

I have a excellent load of Nirvana's Northern lights beans here which i produced myself and i love the stone and consistency, i always know what i'm going to get when i plant them, really love it.. anyway, because Northern Lights is in just about everything one way or another i'm thinking that dusting all these freebies with a NL male would retain their individual qualities in the seed produced, not 100% but close enough.

Is my thinking right on the NL as a stud male or is there another "heritage" type male i should use?

Thanks for any feedback :gday:

This is a breeders forum and no one has any thoughts on a balanced male that could be used over a variety of strains, seriously? I'm sure a few of you must of done this with and without success

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
You seem to be looking for pollen that wont pass on any of the characteristics of the father. You wont find it. If you use nl, you will get some nl genes in the offspring. If that makes you happy, go for it. If it doesn't, don't. Sorry, only answer anyone can give you.

B

blue green

Look for a strain that is consistantly excellent in ways that you prefer and then select a male from that strain.

I imagine it won't guarantee great results, but it should give you a good chance.

Goyakla

only 2 i can think of is NL and NL/SHIVA.. i know Nirv. doesnt have it but it should be somewhere if u gooogle... or a good Blueberry or Hashplant

Jhhnn

Veteran
As I understand it, Nirvana's NL is a uniform strain, so the pollen from any robust male would likely work decently. I'd expect a lot of diversity in the offspring, particularly when pollinating crosses rather than inbred lines.

Just guessing, really.

DemonPigeon

Veteran
If you clone all the females and back cross lots then (potentially) eventually you can make seeds 99% the same as the original females (although male gender characteristics will be NL).

But basically that's going to take a good long time...

If you could get a male with entirely recessive charactersics that'd work, at least for one generation...

So I present you my two unworkable and highly inconvenient solutions. For afterall this is a mental excercise and not a hunt for a practical solution.

Bongstar420

There are compatibility genes if lack of phenotypical contribution from the male isnt what you are looking for. Low phenotypic transmission would be like DemonPigeon said, a male with a lot of homozygous recessive traits. They way to find compatibility is to make a lot of test crosses and see how good the offspring come out to be across all the crosses. Some plants are only good parents with certain others while some are just generally rather good.

Tom Hill

Veteran
your thinking seems fairly sound to me chainbreaker, but whether or not you experience midparent values (the other parent other than NL being recognized in the offspring) will be determined very much by those other parents genes. Regardless, NL is a good choice for an outcross.

Thanks Tom, was really thinking of NL male because the seeds of it that i have seem very stable and the smoke is a really balanced one, then from any resulting seeds i will cull any that don't show the mothers traits in growing and then seed those to each other.
Thanks for all the replies