What's new

SecondAttempt's first attempt at PPKs...

SecondAttempt

... or, Oh no.... not another PPK thread.

I lurked several forums for several years before I found Vertville and chose to exclusively lurk ICMag. So a big thanks goes out to all the twisted kids, Ichabod, Mega, Arminus, Silver, Marlo, Bobbles, HL45, DHF... the list goes on and on. Sorry for those I forgot but there's too many good growers in here.

Huge thanks to Delta9nxs for creating what I hope is the last system I will have to build. I may have chosen ICMag because vert growing changed my game but I registered to see D9s PPK pics.

I'm nearly done building my PPKs and will be documenting the build so anyone intimidated by it can see just how easy it is. Its is literally so easy a caveman can do it... I've been accused of being a caveman often.

Then I will document my first grow using the system, however I'm finishing my current run (coco DTW) first so two weeks out from PPK grow show.

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran

I have been curious about that system, but haven't had a chance to read through some of those lengthy threads. Got a front seat for this one. With two more rooms to set up, I may try one myself...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Where are the pics. This proves nothing but that you can blather on endlessly unless you have pictures.

I am waiting for :kewlpics:

SecondAttempt

The tailpieces

The tailpieces

The tailpieces D9 has been using can be kinda pricey... I researched alternative options and found I would have spent more $$$ on tools to reinvent the wheel then just stick with what works.

If I was going large scale I would probably use PVC pipe but the O.D. of schedule 40 PVC (cheap, common plumbing pipe) is odd, requiring new hole saws. I would also need to figure out a flange so I could seal them to the tub. You'll see what I mean soon.

What I chose was 16" double flanged tailpieces from my local big box chain store.

I then cut them in half with a hacksaw to make 2 tailpieces.

This is what happens when you use the wrong tool for the job (PVC cutter)

These are not PVC... I believe they are ABS plastic

SecondAttempt

Media tubs

Media tubs

D9 has started using 7 gallon feed dishes from the cattle store with 3 tailpieces for faster draining. Here I saved a few $$$ because I'm not growing the trees he is and don't feel I need as much media. Also the 7 gallon tubs aren't cheap and I'm too paranoid to ask the cattle store to order me as many tubs as I need anyway. I don't look like a horseowner, or a homeowner. I look like a caveman.

I chose to use 18 quart Sterilite dishpans obtained at Mega-Lo-Mart for under $3 each... that's 4.5 gallons.

Nothing fancy but should definitely work... they also have 12 quart dishpans for under $2

One advantage D9's feed dishes have over my dishpans is he doesn't need a lid on his lower bucket... the feed dishes now act as the lid. Lids were $1.28 at the same big box store I got the tailpieces... I will not be including a pic of the lid just yet... you should no what the lid to a bucket looks like. I lied here's the lid with holes where the tailpieces will stick through.

I drilled the first lid to accept my tailpieces then used that lid as a template for the others... They are all nearly identical. I then used each lid as a template for a corresponding media tub... like the pic above.

Here's a tip... once you drill the first hole insert a tailpiece in it to keep the tub aligned with the lid while you drill #2.

semi finished product.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:lurk::good: More eye candy in the making... I like a good show...
Ya got any butter?..

----- :alien::ying::alien: -----

SecondAttempt

Thanks Icky for calling me out on my blathering... hopefully I can teach you something for once.

Glad to have you on board Arminius and Hotboxes.

For anyone wondering the saw in the pic has nothing to do with the project at hand, and they ran out of black tubs locally (tried like 8 different Mega-Lo-Marts). Gonna wrap everything in Refelectix anyway so tub color is of little concern.

O

otis33

That's the second time I've seen a hand saw in someone's "watch me build my...." Thread. It took me months of reading different ppk threads to understand how easy these things are to build and how simple the concept actually is. You are pretty much guaranteed to kill it with this system. I'll be watching

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran

I have resorted to cutting my PVC with a reciprocating saw with a metal blade. A bench vice helps... PVC cutters can really suck unless you get the expensive plumbers gear.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran

SecondAttempt

Sorry to leave everyone hanging... for what it's worth I was busy reintroducing my wife to THE THICKNESS.

So we left off drilling the media tubs to match their respective lids, should have two piles like this.

I stacked them in order to insure they match... moving forward I'm going to redrill the lids with 1.75 inch holes so the tailpieces aren't so snug which should make it so any upper tub fits any lid.

We have one more drilling task before final assembly... The 3.5 gallon buckets (from my local Hydro store) need to be prepared to be linked together. So we drill one inch holes high enough to be in the bucket but as low as we can get them. If you choose to use bulkheads the size of your hole may vary. I found a less expensive option in these 3/4 inch grommets and tees.

a view of the whole lower res bucket

Next up place your lids and respective media tubs on each bucket, line up the holes and shove you tailpieces through. Push the tailpieces until the flange nearly bottoms out then place a bead of silicone before seating the tailpieces all the way... Should look like this.

Whole module looks like this when complete.

Real real easy...

supernuck

Super easy to follow so far, pulling up a seat!

1d72d_ORIG-Popcorn_11_Eddie_Griffin.gif

:wave:

HashCat

Just got wind of this PPK system. So far i'm following you. I will be here to watch the whole grow. Possibly give it a go this year.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
you might want to exchange those sterilite tubs. i bought a couple and they fell apart before i could finish a grow. i had to duct tape them to keep splits starting at the top rim from traveling to the bottom.

thank you!

SecondAttempt

So I had written a long post about having to push forward because the tubs were drilled and I had put myself against a deadline to make sure I got up and running in a timely manner and it double posted... When I deleted one double post it deleted both. WTF?

Last edited:

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for stopping by D9, just holding up my end and giving you a thread.

I appreciate the heads up, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for cracking... Full speed ahead though, tubs are drilled. What media were you using when they split? and how heavy is it when saturated? Maybe I'll throw some Gorilla tape around the top as support.

I will continue looking for suitable upper tubs. I get my dog food at TSC so maybe I'll just keep collecting the Tuffubs a couple at a time, already got one (all they had).

Thanks for checking in HashCat.

speaking of cats, where is Mega? I was hoping he would pop in so I could point out all the dog hair in my pics. Cat hair increases potency, dog hair increases flavor.

ya could strengthen the bowl with a couple rounds of duck tape or a strap around the top before the roots add the pressure. .

Not that good plastic tubes are expensive..lol
:2cents:
----- :alien::ying::alien: -----

SecondAttempt

There is more to do with the PPK setup but I'm very busy with family issues... This thread won't really pickup until my room is cleared out and turned over.

These are flushing in coco DTW right now.

My bottom bitch... bagseed no less. "Purple Crush" allegedly

G13 Gigabud

Nirvana's Master Kush... I've been told this is super potent medicine

SecondAttempt

I realized nobody cares about a thread that doesn't have plants growing in it so here...

The plants look overwatered to me, may just be transplant shock? They've looked overwatered since I put them in though. I started with a very large air gap and slowly raised the water level, I didn't add top irragation for a few days. Now I've discontinued top feed to see if they perk up. ANY SUGGESTIONS???

I have some more build pics to share how we got to this point but I'm swamped so it's going to be a little at a time for now.

Purple Crush in the jar from last run, I'm told this is killer bud.