What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

White Berry Kush Hydro Black Dog LED Platinum XL-U vs 1000 watt HID

New to the forums so i thought i'd share my grow to introduce myself.

Just bought a new Black Dog Platinum XL-U, 750 watts. I went with this company because I wanted one light to replace my 1000 watt HID bulb, and the research on the website seems legit. The sales rep also offered me a little discount in exchange for journalling a side by side, which I like. Icing on the cake.

Growing White Berry Kush, recommended to me by one of the reps at Black Dog LED, bought the seeds from seedbay.

My buddy sexed these for me. He popped six seeds, and all of them came up. He took cuttings after 6 weeks, flipped the mothers into flower in two gallon felt soil pots and kept all the cuttings. Of the 6 plants flipped into flower, 4 were females and 2 were males. Of the 4 females, 3 had similar bud structure to each other while 1 showed some male flowers (not enough to call it a herm, but enough to kill off the line). Overall, the mothers had nice dense bud structure. The buds showed a very good amount of crystallization, and smelled nice but not amazing. More sagey than skunky or berry IMHO. The clones that made it into the side by side were chosen based on the health of the flowering mother and which clones were healthiest. All clones were from the same mother.

Smokes very smooth but thick and heavy, definitely a more mellow indica high. Tastes sagey, sometimes with a hint of berry. Definitely excited about growing some more.

Sprouted seeds, you can see all six came up:
Seedlings grown for sexing with clones in the humidity dome:
Clones developed nice roots...
Week 3, some of the most crystals I’ve seen on a plant at this stage of growth:
Week 6:

Chime in if you want.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_5689.jpg
    IMG_5689.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5810_new.jpg
    IMG_5810_new.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5847.jpg
    IMG_5847.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5901.jpg
    IMG_5901.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5948.jpg
    IMG_5948.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5812.jpg
    IMG_5812.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5938_new.jpg
    IMG_5938_new.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 14

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
don't apologize about pics, we love pics !!!

looking nice brother :tiphat:

Thanks GP73, I think I've got posting images figured out.

Some pics that didn't make it into the text of my first post:

One of the original plants that turned out male:

A close up of one of the originals in week 6:

I want to take back what I said about the smell in my first post. This stuff is curing really well, and now I get a big cloud of berry smelling goodness everytime I open a jar of the stuff. So far, this is an awesome strain.

KONEHEAD

im definety grab a seat for this grow.i just purchased the 1500 watt platinum u blackdog complete grow kit.i cant wait to set it up..so BURNBRADBURN how do you like blackdog so far?i was kinda up in air about purchasing from blackdog.i couldnt find alot of reviews about them

Hey konehead, I'm loving my panel so far. I'm still in the first round of growing with it, but everything is looking great and it runs alot cooler than the HID I've got it against. I was up in the air about going with LED at all, to be honest with you, but so far I'm glad I did. One of the coolest things visually is how the light works its way down to the lower branches of the plant, so all the leaves are lit up.

B

BIGBADBAZ

Hey goo luck with your grow dood ill be lurkin! As always nuff respect...

1sttymegrower

Looking gud! I just got the same platinum awaiting other grow room set-ups. I'll b going with coco critical kush but maybe we can compare and or help on this. this is my first grow never.

Disclaimer: This post is broken into six posts in order to show you all the images I want to.

Well, two months later i have alot of pics of my garden. Time flies.

Reminder on the background: i’ve been growing with HID for a few years and bought a 750 watt light from Black Dog LED, the Platinum XL-U. When i bought the light the sales rep asked if i’d be willing to do a side by side experiment for a discount, so that’s what this is. LIke i said i’m using a 750 watt Platinum XL-U LED light, vs a 1000 watt Hortilux Enhanced Spectrum Super HPS. The room is 10’6”x7’x7’5” lined with white reflective tarp and i made a seperator between the LED and HID sides with a hanging flap of the same tarp. I have 10 plants under each light, each in a 5 gallon pot. I started the clones (you can see how i got them in the first post) in 4”x4” rock wool cubes transplanted into pots with grow rocks at the bottom and mini rock wool cubes filling it in. I use Canna Aqua nutrients, i just follow the instructions on the containers, and I have 4x 37 gallon reservoirs, one for each 2’x4’ flood tray. I had the plants in veg for 3 weeks with a cycle of 18 hours light and 6 hours dark, and flipped to bloom on march 5 where they have a cycle of 12 hours light and 12 hours dark. Currently in week 6 of flower and i haven’t had any problems worth mentioning.

Here is everything at the start of week 2 in veg. They all started under a smaller LED panel. The first pic is of the rock wool cube I started them in.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Week 3, last week of veg. All of the plants were moved into the bloom area, but were kept on an 18/6 light cycle. I hadn’t put up the divider yet, that went up in the first week of bloom.
picture.php
picture.php

Week 6, or week 3 of bloom. I missed two weeks of pics. You can see the divider I made. I really like the look of a side by side grow. The third pic is of the Platinum XL-U. The pics of the temps are in the LED and HID sides respectively. You can tell from the color.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

Week 4 of bloom. I like to take pics of the same things on both sides so you can really compare. The first pic is the plants under LED, second under HID, a little more praying under the LED. Also, i’ve noticed the plants under the HID side are taller but with the same number of flowering sites as those under the LED, so i would say they’re stretching. Last two pics are macros under LED and HID respectively.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Week 6 of bloom, these pics are from today. First pic is a panoramic so you can see the whole space.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

White Berry Kush is turning out the be a really nice looking strain. It’s looking to be better for a sea of green vs a scrog. A slow starter but it’s filling in really well. Every leaf and flower is covered with crystals, makes the plant look almost white. Not too much aroma yet, but if you get some of the resin on your fingers it smells sagey and skunky. Props to 40AmpsToFreedom for coming up with this strain.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Looking great! What an experiment indeed! Thanks for posting all these pics...

Reposting pics from the last 6 posts because a lot of people can’t see them and i wan’t more feedback. I contacted the mods to remove the messed up posts but nothing has happened so i’m reposting with resized pics, sorry if it’s confusing.

Well, two months later i have alot of pics of my garden. Time flies.

Reminder on the background: i’ve been growing with HID for a few years and bought a 750 watt light from Black Dog LED, the Platinum XL-U. When i bought the light the sales rep asked if i’d be willing to do a side by side experiment for a discount, so that’s what this is. LIke i said i’m using a 750 watt Platinum XL-U LED light, vs a 1000 watt Hortilux Enhanced Spectrum Super HPS. The room is 10’6”x7’x7’5” lined with white reflective tarp and i made a seperator between the LED and HID sides with a hanging flap of the same tarp. I have 10 plants under each light, each in a 5 gallon pot. I started the clones (you can see how i got them in the first post) in 4”x4” rock wool cubes transplanted into pots with grow rocks at the bottom and mini rock wool cubes filling it in. I use Canna Aqua nutrients, i just follow the instructions on the containers, and I have 4x 37 gallon reservoirs, one for each 2’x4’ flood tray. I had the plants in veg for 3 weeks with a cycle of 18 hours light and 6 hours dark, and flipped to bloom on march 5 where they have a cycle of 12 hours light and 12 hours dark. Currently in week 6 of flower and i haven’t had any problems worth mentioning.

Here is everything at the start of week 2 in veg. They all started under a smaller LED panel. The first pic is of the rock wool cube I started them in.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php