What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing with the C-Vault?

matt11

has anyone used the C-Vault to cure their flowers? they advertise a "perfect" 62% humidity http://www.thecvault.com/

i cure and store my buds in cvault's. And it DOES keep the inside 62%, because of the boveda packs you put in the lid. If you onto have the boveda packs then it'll just cure normally and have to keep burping it.
I like cvaults way better then jars; stainless steel, lightproof, air tight, and the little compartment for boveda packs. I would cure all my buds in them, if they weren't expensive, compared to mason jars. I just cure my choice buds in them, whatever I can fit

Simplicius

I've read a lot about these boveda packs, but still I do not have a full idea of how to use them, which definitely has to do with me just starting my first crop and thus my first cure also only coming up, but now I'm here and maybe there's still somebody in this thread to help me.

Here's how I would proceed, please correct me:
I would hang dry my buds a few days (4-7) check the stems every day and see if they still bend, if they right at the point where the bud is try, but the stems still bend a little bit I would start the curing.
Now I would put an ounce in every mason jar and let the humidity settle through burping at least under 70-68%, before then putting the boveda packs in with them. (Now comes my main question) Is burping in the following days still needed/helpful, if the packs keep the humidity at 62% anyway ? Will the curing process just keep on going in the closed jars as long as the packs are in there, or is there anything (except check on them) I should do ?

Simplicius

Here's the tl;dr:
Do the bovedas basically replace the act of burping ? Since they keep the humidity at 62% from the start.

M

mugenbao

Here's the tl;dr:
Do the bovedas basically replace the act of burping ? Since they keep the humidity at 62% from the start.
If you already dry the bud down to 62%, it will keep it there. They won't help get it that low (maybe drop it the last 1-2%), but it will keep the buds from getting any lower than that.

I hang dry first, then place in paper bags and turn occasionally until they seem about right, then place into a larger plastic container so that I can check the humidity. That larger container might get "burped" until I get to about 60-65%, then into containers with the Boveda for curing. The Boveda keep it right around 62% during the cure period, then after a sufficient curing period the buds go into vacuum-sealed jars for storage.

I don't have enough C-Vaults to cure everything, so only the nicest tops go into those while everything else goes into large jars with Boveda packs. Honestly, jars with Boveda packs work about the same but the C-Vault is nicer.

The C-Vaults keep everything at the right humidity to cure even when I'm frequently dipping into them for head smoke :D

M

mugenbao

I've read a lot about these boveda packs, but still I do not have a full idea of how to use them, which definitely has to do with me just starting my first crop and thus my first cure also only coming up, but now I'm here and maybe there's still somebody in this thread to help me.

Here's how I would proceed, please correct me:
I would hang dry my buds a few days (4-7) check the stems every day and see if they still bend, if they right at the point where the bud is try, but the stems still bend a little bit I would start the curing.
Now I would put an ounce in every mason jar and let the humidity settle through burping at least under 70-68%, before then putting the boveda packs in with them. (Now comes my main question) Is burping in the following days still needed/helpful, if the packs keep the humidity at 62% anyway ? Will the curing process just keep on going in the closed jars as long as the packs are in there, or is there anything (except check on them) I should do ?

Sounds about right, yes. You only need to burp the jars if they are still over 62%, once you're there the Boveda keeps it from getting lower. It's nice to have a hygrometer in there (or one you can put in there) to tell you whether burping is needed. If humidity is at 65% or lower, no need to burp, the buds are curing fine on their own now :D

DoomsDay

Agree on the paper bag step as well. The paper bag will allow the moisture to evenly disburse back into the buds from the stems to give you an idea of how much water is left in them. From there you can decide if they need a bit more dry time, or if it's ready to begin curing. As far as jars, I'd really just suggest going to home depot and getting the 2 gallon white painters buckets with lids. Light won't shine into it degrading thc, can cure much more in a single container, and tape the dang bodiva pack to the lid when curing time starts if you want to use one. Much easier than 20 jars laying around.

M

mugenbao

Agree on the paper bag step as well. The paper bag will allow the moisture to evenly disburse back into the buds from the stems to give you an idea of how much water is left in them. From there you can decide if they need a bit more dry time, or if it's ready to begin curing. As far as jars, I'd really just suggest going to home depot and getting the 2 gallon white painters buckets with lids. Light won't shine into it degrading thc, can cure much more in a single container, and tape the dang bodiva pack to the lid when curing time starts if you want to use one. Much easier than 20 jars laying around.
Excellent approach. Those not already familiar with the Boveda packs should keep in mind that the pouch is a semi-permeable membrane that allows moisture to pass through, so make sure to leave plenty of surface area exposed when taping it.

Simplicius

First off, thanks for all the info from you two! Very helpful.

I hang dry first, then place in paper bags and turn occasionally until they seem about right, then place into a larger plastic container so that I can check the humidity. That larger container might get "burped" until I get to about 60-65%, then into containers with the Boveda for curing. The Boveda keep it right around 62% during the cure period, then after a sufficient curing period the buds go into vacuum-sealed jars for storage.

After this I just wondered. First, how long does the process from harvesting 'til putting them in containers with boveda packs approx. take ? Secondly, why can't the paper bags be humidity checked, or rather why is either the paper bag, or the container step needed ? Why not just one of them and then container with boveda ?

M

mugenbao

First, how long does the process from harvesting 'til putting them in containers with boveda packs approx. take ?
Depends on ambient humidity, etc. For me, it takes close to a week when the ambient humidity is high. I like a slow dry. When the humidity is low it only takes three or four days of hanging and I have to be extra careful not to let it dry too much. If it gets too dry, curing won't happen properly.

Secondly, why can't the paper bags be humidity checked, or rather why is either the paper bag, or the container step needed ? Why not just one of them and then container with boveda ?
The bags probably could be humidity checked, I just prefer containers that don't allow humidity to escape as I feel it gives me a more accurate reading. I like the bags because after it's below 70% and no longer in danger of molding, I like to take it down to 60% as slow as possible. Feel free to ignore that part, it's just what I like to do.

Bottom line is however you get it to 60-65%, so long as it's stable and not going to keep rising, you're ready for the Boveda packs.

The Boveda packs aren't really necessary, I just like them for convenience because every time I crack a jar (or open the C-Vault) to grab some smoke or check on how the cure is progressing, the Boveda packs keep the humidity from dropping any further.

Simplicius

Bottom line is however you get it to 60-65%, so long as it's stable and not going to keep rising, you're ready for the Boveda packs.

The Boveda packs aren't really necessary, I just like them for convenience because every time I crack a jar (or open the C-Vault) to grab some smoke or check on how the cure is progressing, the Boveda packs keep the humidity from dropping any further.

Thanks! Another thing I got from that is, making sure your buds don't mold is only your main focus the first few days of curing(/after initial dry hanging). After reaching a stable 65%, through normal burping process I guess, the most important thing is staying above that 60% to keep the actual curing going and for that Bovedas are perfect. Gotcha, I hope :watchplant: .

M

mugenbao

Thanks! Another thing I got from that is, making sure your buds don't mold is only your main focus the first few days of curing(/after initial dry hanging). After reaching a stable 65%, through normal burping process I guess, the most important thing is staying above that 60% to keep the actual curing going and for that Bovedas are perfect. Gotcha, I hope :watchplant: .
Sounds like a pretty good summary :D

saekeaton64

How about something like a corny keg, they have a removable-locking lid, made for stainless steel, can hold up to 5 gallons, and are pressure tested from someone wanting to nitrogen purge. Google "corny keg" used ones can be found for around $40.

DoomsDay

Could work, but I've got a 5 gallon curing container called a lowes bucket and lid thst cost me a wooing 4 bucks and will cure the same amount of material. No need to reinvent the wheel.