What's new

Light keeps going out any electrical advice?

montroller

So I am running just a single 1000w and it is plugged in to a timer that is plugged into the wall. When I first plugged it in it fired up no problem but when we moved the plants in and tried to turn it on it wouldn't start up.

We cleaned it and plugged it back in and it started to flicker a little but never got bright. So we unplugged everything and plugged it back in asnd it worked fine. Fast forward a couple weeks of it working perfect on the timer and we start getting circuit failure randomly. So we change the outlet and a couple more weeks go by unhindered.

Today I tried to switch the bulb from MH to HPS and the light wouldn't turn back on. Thinking it was an equipment issue and having just purchased some new gear I tried to switch out everything starting with the ballast, then the hood, then back to the MH bulb. Nothing worked.

So I panicked a little and changed the outlet again to the one my washing machine is running off. Now the bulb is turning on, powering up then shutting off. And it is doing that in cycles, anybody have any clue what my problems is. Is the house just wired shitty, am I doing something wrong. Any help please my plants are not liking this blinking light.

I forgot to add that I ditched the timer at some point and everything is just getting plugged straight into the wall.

Sounds like either a dying bulb or a dying ballast. If you take both to a local hydro shop, they should be able to test them for you.

I assume this is a digital ballast?

montroller

magnetic, brand new, tried 2 both brand new

The HPS bulb might be shot but the MH is powering all the way up then shutting off, I have only used it for 3 weeks or so.

I started playing some trance music so the plants will just think it is a rave or something. Hopefully that will ease their shock a bit.

montroller

So here is something interesting, as I said I had a brand new ballast on hand so thinking it was my best bet in the confusion I kept the light plugged in to that ballast as I switched electrical outlets.

Like I was saying the light would seemingly power up all the way then switch off, well when it would power up it seemed like it was brighter in my tent than with the other ballast before switching off. So I switched the ballast back to the old one and this time when it powered on it is staying on.

Do you think the older ballast isn't taking it to it's full potential and that is why it is staying on? And the newer ballast is just stronger and my wiring can't take it? Is it possible the wiring in this old house is fucked beyond repair? I am not even sure that is how things would work.

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
Have you mapped ur electricity? Do you own the home or rent? House, apt, or duplex? Where did ya get the ballasts from an what kind?

montroller

The spot is rented and old and the electricity has not been mapped, it is a single story house with a 200 amp circuit.

The older ballast that is now working, but only with the MH bulb is the SG lite Ballast 1000w convertible. The new ballast that seemed brighter but kept turning off is the Lumz Netbox 1000w.

The light fixture that is running right now is the hydrofarm 6 inch AC reflector and the new one I was trying it with is the hydrofarm raptor.

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
Is the cord going to the wall hot from the ballast? You need to map ur breaker that ur ballast is on its own breaker. I do this by using lamps plugged into the sockets in that area to see what plugs are "grow room plugs." Turn all lights on in the house an flip the breakers off one by one till ur grow room turns off. Once u know what breaker is for ur grow area, check if anything else turns off in the house too when the breaker is flipped off. That will tell you if the line got spliced.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i would defo suggest figuring this out as it must be a short ~whether in the wiring or components of your fixture~ and; it could be a fire hazard

montroller

So I just got back from the hydro store and after a bunch of testing I think we figured out the problem. The HPS bulb I had was defective and the new ballast I had was defective.

Ridiculous that 2 brand new products would both not work and in such a way to confuse the shit out of me, haha. But it taught me a little bit about troubleshooting and it sparked me to really get a headstart on possible electrical issues with the old house.

Thanks for the help everyone!

montroller

Yah but it turns out the whole shipment of ballast is defective... good thing I checked before leaving the store. They actually gave me a digital ballast instead no extra charge because of the headache. I feel like they are solid guys at my hydro store, but that is also their job sooo....