What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Techniques to Decarboxylate BHO

Timekey

Greetings ............

I have several ounces of BHO that I need to decarboxylate for an oral, non baked application. I plan to use a lab hot plate for the heat source and intend to take the hash to 250F for about 30 minutes which should do the job.

Considering the temps required plus the little I know about the decarboxylate process, I'm unable to decide if this should be accomplished in a sealed container like a mason jar or an open/uncovered vessel. I've got to believe a successful decarb process requires the escaping of gases which would be impossible in a sealed environment not to mention a possible explosion at those temps.

If someone has some 1st hand experience in this matter I'd love to hear about it. Thanks !!!

FatherEarth

Veteran
From De Skunk Pharm

From De Skunk Pharm

Decarboxylation

Posted by Skunk Pharm Research,LLC.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

Cannabis produces phyto cannabinoids in a carboxylic acid form that are not active in our bodies. To make them active, they must first be decarboxylated, to remove the COOH carboxyl group of atoms, which exits in the form of H20 and CO2.

Decarboxylation occurs naturally with time and temperature, as a function of drying, but we can shorten the amount of time required considerably, by adding more heat. The more heat, the faster it occurs, within reasonable ranges, and in fact occurs spontaneously when the material is burned or vaporized.

There is another mechanism at play however, which suggests that we need to control the decarboxylation temperatures carefully.

When we heat cannabis to convert the THCA and CBDA into THC and CBD, we are also converting THC to CBN at a faster rate. At about 70% decarboxylation, we actually start converting THC to CBN at a faster rate than we are converting THCA to THC, so as you can see by the following graph, after about 70% decarboxylation, the levels of THC actually start to fall sharply.

That of course means that the CBN also begins to rise and the medication is becoming more sedative.

Thank you Jump 117 for this excellent graph!

Decarboxylation graph

Another fly in the ointment, is that we can never know for sure exactly what the starting state of decarboxylation is, so the times at temperature shown on the graphs are an average.

We can’t expect dry material placed in an oven at any given temperature to be that uniform temperature throughout instantly upon placing it in a heated oven, nor know for sure the state of decarboxylation by simple observation.

Decarboxylating plant material, also alters the taste (roasted/toasted), which some find less agreeable, and of course decarboxylating also evaporates away the smaller Monoterpenes and Sequiterpenes alcohols, phenols, ketones, aldehydes, ethers, and esters.

The good news is that it is dirt simple to monitor the state of cannabis oil decarboxylation placed in a 121C/250F hot oil bath, because you can watch the CO2 bubble production.

Just like the curves suggest, CO2 bubble production will proceed at its own observable rate. By keeping the puddle of oil lightly stirred on the bottom and in the corners of the pot (I use a bamboo skewer), so as to keep the bubbles broken free and floating to the top, you can tell exactly when the bubble formation suddenly tapers off at the top of the curve.

That is the point that we take it out of the oil for maximum head effect, and we leave it in until all bubbling stops, if we want a more sedative night time med.

Here are a couple pictures of what oil looks like when boiling off the residual butane. Residual butane or alcohol produces larger, randomly sized bubbles, and is fully purged, when they cease.

I am seemingly missing the middle picture of the CO2 bubbles, so I will add it later, but the second picture shows what fully decarboxylated oil looks like.

purging-in-hot-oil-bath1.jpg

Residual solvent bubbles above:

quiescent-oil-1-11.jpg

Quiescent oil.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Winterizing the BHO with everclear will grab alot of waxes first. this is my oil decarbing @ 240
degrees on top of a stove in a small mason jar. when the bubbles stop its ready.
this stuff will quickly wreck you if you keep it under your tongue or in your lip. comes
on fast IME.

picture.php

foaf

Veteran
I have been using my Fry Daddy thing to decarboxylate my oil for capsules. I put about 5 grams of fully purged shatter in a small Teflon baggie, heat at 250 till the bubbles stop, about 30 minutes usually, then chill the bag and crumble the solid oil into another container to mix with coconut oil. Then I fry oysters or shrimp.

put it in a pyrex dish, put the dish in the oven at 220 for 20-25 mins...that's how i do mine, i can swallow dabs like tiny pills and i get a killer buzz within 45 mins every time...

B

BigTex

First time bho maker has a question...

Made my first batch of bho the other day. I intend to activate it and mix it in some chocolate. I was going to heat purge in the oven. I put the oven on warm and put the bho on the middle rack on some foil. After about a minute the element kicked on and the oil began to boil but didn't smoke. I took it out immediately and cooled it. Not sure what the temp was, but I was concerned about the boiling.
Did I degrade it? Is that a "good" purge, or is it possibly under purged? I'm thinking if it boiled profusely the desired reaction probably occurred.
Someone please set me straight!

Latest posts

Latest posts